$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Anything I could have done differently

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early stages of a private freeroll...37 left and top 10 pay.
Blinds 75/150
Hero(BB)-2360 chips
Villain (UTG+1)-5116 chips
Villain (SB)-3470 chips

UTG+1 limps
folds around to the SB
SB calls
Hero Raises to 450
UTG+1 calls
SB folds

Flop: 5h 4d 8d

Hero bets 499
Villain shoves all in
Hero calls all in

Turn: Jh

River: 6d

Hero shows Ah As
Villain shows Jd 9d

Villain wins pot: 8125 chips
Hero: Out

Anyway I could have played this differently? Since it was a freeroll....Wouldnshoving preflop have been a better play?

S

Scrover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would try to get as much money as I could preflop. I don't really see anything much wrong with your play. Flush draws can shove here and against them you're a 3:2 favourite. You don't have a diamond and you are getting good odds so I see nothing wrong with it. You could play it differently, but that depends on the quality of the players.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes this freeroll , but need look how play table tight or lose , if in table have 2-3 player lose-agraise, you can big raise or shove this hand..
But 15 bb this very more what shove, this look very strong , i think 350 min raise enough.
If shove in most cases you will get fold, you have a premium hand, and you need more value call ( in freeroll people love call trash hands, but when see all in they fold ) , in flop with any coincidence ( TPTK, second pair, any draw ) you will get stack villain.
Is the optimal line, than to get the blinds, sometimes you will lose vs trash hand , but it is not often. You played it right!!

Last edited:
H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your bet on the flop is somewhat little for me. I would bet here more than half of the pot.

Your play is just right and no regrets. Were just rivered out.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was a freeroll and most players in a freeroll with call with suited face cards regardless of bet size.
With that being said, the proper play IMO would have been to shove, my reason behind this is that if you are holding a premium hand like AA/KK, you want to bet 4xBB+1BB for every limper, with that in mind you would have put more than 1/3 of your stack in the pot so with more than 1/3 of your stack going in you have to shove.
I had read somewhere that if a call or raise is going to take 1/3 or more of your stack you should be shoving.
Anybody correct me if I'm wrong.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played it fine. there are a few slight adjustments you could have made, but they may have killed your action, or not changed the results.

You could have raised a little more preflop. If your standard raise is 3x, you want to adjust that for each limper. So maybe make it 500 or 575 to go. Now, I don't think raising to 450 was wrong....I think it's fine. But you COULD have raised slighty more. I think shoving preflop is too likely to kill your action, and you want action with AA. With a hand like JJ or QQ you might favor shoving since the hand is vulnerable, but AA is such a powerhouse you really don't want to scare away your customers.

On the flop, yes you could have bet slightly more. your bet was just under half the pot....maybe you could have bet between 650 and 750....but I doubt if that would have changed the outcome....if this guy wanted to take his flush draw all the way, then whether you bet half or 2/3 the pot likely didn't matter.

As it turned out, you got action from 1 caller preflop with your AA (good result)

You got your whole stack in on the flop as a pretty big favorite (excellent result).

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You got it in as a solid favorite. Where's the problem? If you're implicitly asking how you could have either won the hand or lost less, that's the wrong question. You can fine-tune your line a bit, but it's unreasonable to change it enough to produce a different result.

T

torosanti012

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah i've played a great amount of freerolls and the only thing i can tell you is that no matter how well you play, the chance of making it really deep (final table) is pretty small due to many suckouts and bad beats. just hope to get lucky, make a bit and build from there.

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not at all bad, but I prefer the shove here preflop with this stacksize. I find that after a couple ships from the BB, after a limp or two in, it is more likely that I will get walks when I have a stack size < 20 BBs.