$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Am I too tight with 74s in the SB and 12BB stack?

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm in the small blind with about 12bb stacksize. It's folded to me. Big blind has me covered. It's late, but not bubble. I have 74s.

ICM says I should shove. I used HoldemResource Calculator (HRC), and I said shoving was okay. Then I asked HRC to consider min raising. It still said to shove. Then I told HRC to only consider hands where my edge was better than 0.10, and it still said shove. All those signs seem to point to me being too tight, but... shoving with 74? Even if it's suited??

Yes, I get that I'm short stacked, but seems like this is marginal at best. Might this be a case where ICM isn't taking into account that while this might be +EV, there's probably going to be a better EV spot??

Would you shove in this spot with 74s?

C

chiefmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a spot that fully depends on the player in the BB. If hes capable of calling very loose then there isn't enough fold equity to shove. If hes a nit you should feel comfortable shoving. Considering its a freeroll im always folding here. Players call off alot more in freerolls and because of that you can get value from a better hand.

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if there is a loose player in the Big Blind, then we shove the opening range with
EP and MP, if there is a tight player in the big blind, then we increase the range of push!

C

crimsonshroud88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Put your opponent's calling range according to your HH or experience in the software that you are using and see the results. In general, previous responses are correct.
Except maybe you can consider min-raise/complete vs a nit, or complete vs a loose calling opponent and play post-flop.

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow. Thanks for the quick responses. It's not a glamorous hand, but I find it mathematically interesting since so many models were suggesting shove, and I consider 74s pretty weak. Though now that I think about it, SB is an even stronger position than than the button since there's no way they can get me to fold and they can't outplay me on post flop since I'm all-in.

Last edited:
Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Am I too tight with 74s in the SB and 12BB stack?

Also keep in mind that the majority of players will call too tight in the BB’s shoes (I.e tighter than hold em resources calc would have them calling), which makes this an even more profitable shove.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
74s is the bottom of the shove range....however it's still a shove becasuse genearlly players don't call as wide as they should.

the BB is supposed to call with K2o and Q4s. do you think he really is? In my experience they are not.