$Freeroll NLHE MTT: AJo in the BB

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually these things happen when the bubble is very close. Many players don't want to take the risk and build up the pot. Otherwise, most players would just push all in here. Competitors are very careful about their stack. If you had placed a bet on the flop, you would have just taken the pot. It is unlikely that cautious opponents would call in such a situation. You have tripled your stack without any risk. And this is the main thing.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With AJo you are ahead of the range, people typically limp with, so preflop is an easy push. At least one of them would have called, and you would have almost trippled your stack.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
When you have 7bb and a hand like AJo you have to push all-in preflop, here at least one of the players will call you cause you don't have fold equity and they may think they are ahead with their Ax. you missed a chance to double or triple up.

KeyJey

KeyJey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With such a stack, I would raise. And I walked to the end. Or maybe he did it because of the bubble. Expected Bubble

Balou1982

Balou1982

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Hi Guys.

I was reviewing some hands the other day and came across in one which surprised me a little bit.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/224CRWThc

I would be interested to see what you think in terms of pre flop action and then post flop betting (or lack of it rather) and what you would do?

Thanks BB

Preflop it would be a good decision to raise with your hand, position and hand range is very good, postflop your check is the right way, flush draw is possible for villains and king is also a scare card for you on this board, turn with Queen i would also check and maybe you could think of a value bet on river but i wouldnt do that with two overcards on board, because if a checkraise is the answer of one oft the villains you have to fold!

GL@ tables
Taurus

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a pre flop jam all the time with AJ against two limpers when you are effectively at 2.5 BB since you already posted the BB. You should be ripping in this spot with way worse than AJ. If we do wind up checking behind pre then there is no reason not to rip the flop. SPR is less than 1 and we hold mid pair top kicker. I would be ripping that flop even on bottom pair crap kicker there considering how low our stack is.

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks guys. My initial thought on looking back at it was, why on Earth didn’t I shove?

Interesting thoughts from you all.

BB

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is an easy jam preflop for 3 reasons:
  1. the pot is 8.8k and you only have 5.2k behind, go for it because that's a huge boost. you likely don't have enough fold equity with a jam, but you could possibly have enough to isolate against an opponent.
  2. whether you're against 1 or 2 opponents, you likely have good equity in this spot. actually, i'd say great equity given your stack size. with ~2.6 bbs behind, you shouldn't be worried about getting it in as a slight underdog. i'd be happy in a 35/65 spot here. but, given preflop action, i highly doubt you're against a better ace or a high pair. at worst, you're against a small-mid pair, but you're likely against weaker aces, broadway cards, or some type of (suited) connectors. all which you have an edge over.
  3. as a short stack, you want to avoid sticky spots where you're unsure what to do. given this flop, i think mid pair + backdoor draws is a great spot to get it in, but at the same time, kx hands are definitely in your opponents' preflop range. if the board was 2-9-6, you're still in a weird spot. you could have the best hand still but, because you allowed them to limp in, you're unsure. so, avoid that as a short stack. also, if they have a worse hand they're willing to get it in with, you lose value by not letting them do so and by giving them a chance to fold. in this hand, a7 could've easily called a preflop jam, but you didnt and you lost out on an extra 2.6-5.2 bbs.
and if your opponent is slow playing a big pair or better ace, so be it. it's going to happen but you can't be worried about that. as a short stack, i'm not worried about running into better hands, i'm focused more getting my money in and not giving up key spots to do so.

Last edited:
BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is an easy jam preflop for 3 reasons:
  1. the pot is 8.8k and you only have 5.2k behind, go for it because that's a huge boost. you likely don't have enough fold equity with a jam, but you could possibly have enough to isolate against an opponent.
  2. whether you're against 1 or 2 opponents, you likely have good equity in this spot. actually, i'd say great equity given your stack size. with ~2.6 bbs behind, you shouldn't be worried about getting it in as a slight underdog. i'd be happy in a 35/65 spot here. but, given preflop action, i highly doubt you're against a better ace or a high pair. at worst, you're against a small-mid pair, but you're likely against weaker aces, broadway cards, or some type of (suited) connectors. all which you have an edge over.
  3. as a short stack, you want to avoid sticky spots where you're unsure what to do. given this flop, i think mid pair + backdoor draws is a great spot to get it in, but at the same time, kx hands are definitely in your opponents' preflop range. if the board was 2-9-6, you're still in a weird spot. you could have the best hand still but, because you allowed them to limp in, you're unsure. so, avoid that as a short stack. also, if they have a worse hand they're willing to get it in with, you lose value by not letting them do so and by giving them a chance to fold. in this hand, a7 could've easily called a preflop jam, but you didnt and you lost out on an extra 2.6-5.2 bbs.
and if your opponent is slow playing a big pair or better ace, so be it. it's going to happen but you can't be worried about that. as a short stack, i'm not worried about running into better hands, i'm focused more getting my money in and not giving up key spots to do so.

Thanks for this

BB

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi Guys.

I was reviewing some hands the other day and came across in one which surprised me a little bit.

I would be interested to see what you think in terms of pre flop action and then post flop betting (or lack of it rather) and what you would do?

Thanks BB
I think you hit the "sit out" button to go pee or fix another drink, and you didn't even realize you won the hand. That's the only reason I can find.

Balou1982

Balou1982

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Dear BentleyBoy&Community

Hi Guys.

Thanks BB

First of all, i would say it is one of these cases when your hand is very strong but it is still hard to play. I saw your Hand and your Position and my first Intention is a Raise(Prefflop) because most of the Poker Pro's would do that with this hand. You only have 2 limping Opponents in front of you.
If you go ahead this strategy and you make a bet on flop which would be also an Option for a lot of good players and of course most of your Villains will fold cards like A-7,A-5 or so on @ Flop or even @ Turn with J,Q and K on board their expected value is low.
According to my Opinion a 3-bet preflop would be a good Option because your Villains would have fold with high percentage - would be a short battle and you earn blinds with a good Hand and Position at low Risk.
@Flop you hit the J and with Q there is only 1 Overcard, in many cases a a Value Bet is the best Option, i would prefer 33-45% Potsize then it is harder for your villains to asume your Range.
@Turn it's getting tricky with K because 2 Overcards, if i have player your strategy without a preflop Raise and no bet on Flop, a check is the right decision. In my strategy i would check also after a raise and a bet on flop if there is 1 or 2 Opponents left.
@River i agree with your check because you choosed a passive style and a bet at this moment would be to late and with flush draw a Villain could also make a check-raise that gets you in trouble. In my strategy you have to go agressive at this stage, most of your villains would have reacted with a checkraise or bet if they hit Q or K before but if you play this strategy through preflop you must push here again - bet 50% Potsize!

I would prefer more action because in your example all players are checking, it is hard to give them a range and when you never make a value bet or dont raise @ preflop things getting complicated.

One Question what would you do if a Villain make a bet with 66 or 100% Potsize at River? most players would fold with A-J, so what is the advantage to check in each stage at BB position?

Have a nice Weekend ;-),

Taurus1982

Pufik

Pufik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with your mini stack you should go reshove all-in preflop, you can steal 2more BB if they folds and if call you still have 2 high cards and lot of percetange for win.

if you have more BB like 30+ you should go 3bet around 7BB because they both just limp call and have A,K with weak kicker or small pairs like 22-44

erik_lima

erik_lima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With this stack it's all in pre flop without think too much. It's not good to be the bubble but sometimes you have to take this risk.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Guys.

Thanks BB

Hello,

I'm 4x raising from the bb position with AJ and folding to a large 3bet. Post flop assuming I limped the AJ like hero I'd check the flop. Bet for value on the turn after the flop checks through and I'd be contemplating a bluff on the river if anyone check raises since I hold the nut flush blocker.