$Freeroll NLHE MTT: A mistake in the drawing!

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With 37 BBs after the posting and a 5x raise from the SB that is 1/6th of their stack I would fold here or jam here and I am not really a fan of jamming at all. Problem with this hand is you are paying a large price to set mine and villian is only 30 BBs deep. You can make the case the other villain could call but I still think its a stretch to call. Any flop that comes where you dont get a set or is not 3 under cards you dont like. Plus villain raising to that % of their stack usually means they are not going anywhere. It might be a bit tight but given the pre flop raise size I like folding here. If the raise was 3x instead of 5x then I think its a fairly easy call.

On the flop as played after villain leads out 1/4th their stack I could see both putting it in and just calling with no intention of ever folding. If the turn would have been a club its a little rough but if Im calling flop I am making sure all chips go in on non club turns. If you are going to raise on the flop I suggest just getting it in then since you are committed to this pot with a set and a raise of that % of your stack.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main mistake is, that you worry about the outcome. You got your chips in on the flop with 72% equity, and if you had won the hand, it would almost certainly never have ended up here in the forum. Then you would just have moved on and felt, you played it well. But because the board runout was bad for you, now you have questions about the hand. And this is a major mistake, so the main thing to take away from this hand is to STOP BEING RESULTS ORIENTED.

With that being said I agree with the previous comments, that calling preflop was the worst of your options and a fairly significant mistake. If you call here, the limper is usually calling as well, and now you are monkey in the middle in a bloated pot with a low SPR, where your hand perform extremely poorly. Sure life is nice and easy, when you flop a set, but 7 out of 8 times, you dont flop a set, and then you are rarely going to win with 77 against two opponents.

With small and medium pairs we either want to have a deep enough SPR to profitably setmine, or we want to be all-in preflop, so that we get to realise our equity even on boards with multible overcards on them. As a rule of thumb there need to be 25 or at least 20 times the amount left, which you put in preflop, so in this case at the bare minimum 8.000 chips, and they only had 3.000.

So this was a spot, where calling was not a good option, and therefore its between jamming and folding. And both these decisions are acceptable. If you think, SB is a little on the nitty side and only raising very strong hands, then this was an easy fold. But if you think, he was on the loose side and raising something close to 20% of hands, then 77 is a marginally profitable jam.

It also depends on, what overall strategy you want to use. In freerolls you cant lose, so its completely acceptable to take on some marginal spots like this to basically "go strong or go home". If you get called by a hand like AT and win, now you have a large stack and a good chance of cashing, and if you lose, you probably bust a few hands later, and then you are done with the thing and can spend your time on something else.

As played when you flop a set, you should be 100% in stack-off mode even on a monotone board. Yes sometimes you will be behind to a flush, but even then you have around 35% equity, and people are also going to be getting it in with a ton of draws like the one, he had here, or with worse made hands like top pair. So raising the flop was the correct decision, but because the pot was already so big, you should simply have jammed rather than min-clicked.

Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main mistake is, that you worry about the outcome. You got your chips in on the flop with 72% equity, and if you had won the hand, it would almost certainly never have ended up here in the forum. Then you would just have moved on and felt, you played it well. But because the board runout was bad for you, now you have questions about the hand. And this is a major mistake, so the main thing to take away from this hand is to STOP BEING RESULTS ORIENTED.

With that being said I agree with the previous comments, that calling preflop was the worst of your options and a fairly significant mistake. If you call here, the limper is usually calling as well, and now you are monkey in the middle in a bloated pot with a low SPR, where your hand perform extremely poorly. Sure life is nice and easy, when you flop a set, but 7 out of 8 times, you dont flop a set, and then you are rarely going to win with 77 against two opponents.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello! :)
Thank you for the detailed answer.I myself doubted with a call from BB (but I had a note on him that even from an early position he comes in with 30% of hands).Plus, I really didn't like the flop, so I tried to knock out a draw with a re-raise.I'm a beginner and I haven't really mastered the SPR yet.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for the detailed answer.

Welcome :)

I myself doubted with a call from BB (but I had a note on him that even from an early position he comes in with 30% of hands).

Then you can jam preflop - not call.

Plus, I really didn't like the flop, so I tried to knock out a draw with a re-raise.

This was a great flop for you. Its just a high variance one, where some percentage of the time you will end up losing to a flush. But thats ok, because overall you are printing money on this flop, when you have a set.

so I tried to knock out a draw with a re-raise.

Ok here is, where you really need to work on your conceptual understanding. By min-raising you made it 636 more for him to call into a pot of 1.590 + 2 x 636 = 2.862, and this gave him correct odds to draw to a flush even just seeing the turn. He only had 1.892 left, which is less than pot, so this was a very easy spot to just shove and let him make a decision for the rest of his stack.

Even against a shove he would actually be priced in to call with a flushdraw, but since he would not know, that his draw was live (you could have A, K or J of clubs), he might actually have made a small folding mistake. Whereas when you min-raised, it probably looked weak to him, and this is why, you got into this silly "clicking it back" war against him, until you were finally all-in.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with HP and FD. Fold pre. A jam is too aggressive with 77s imo.
I would call with TT+, A/Qs+

Also update the note on that player that he 3bets big - with marginal unsuited Aces.

Once the flop hits - just jam you don't have any other choice with his stack size and donk lead. But should not have been in the hand to begin with.

Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with HP and FD. Fold pre. A jam is too aggressive with 77s imo.
I would call with TT+, A/Qs+

Also update the note on that player that he 3bets big - with marginal unsuited Aces.

Once the flop hits - just jam you don't have any other choice with his stack size and donk lead. But should not have been in the hand to begin with.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi!:)
Thanks for the advice, I myself thought I made a mistake by going to bb with 77.