$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Was that a bad beat or bad play.

Himanshu

Himanshu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it was fulltilt edge freeroll i had around 4000 chips i was on the button with Ace Jack.
there were no callers before me so i raised 3x of the big blind and the small blind calls big blind folds.
Flop came Jack 8 ACE i Raised to the pot small blind went all in i called he had a set of jacks so was that a bad play or a bad beat.:questionm

warturtle7

warturtle7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think theres no way in a freeroll I would fold top 2 pairs so I guess you got unlucky.

K

KcsAcoustic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If there's one thing I've learned about no limit hold-em it's this: ALWAYS be cautious of players in the S.B. It's a trapping spot. Especially one that calls a button raise then check/raises a pot sized bet all in. There's no way to know for sure unless you've had history with player and know their playing style well. But this is my rule of thumb: Unless I have positively identified a player as a maniac, or a habitual bully, players who show strength from the S.B. (check/raise all in on flop.) Should be treated as if they've already showed you that they have the nuts.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For a hand to be a bad beat, you have to be well ahead at some point. So this hand isn't.

As for whether it's bad play, probably not, but it might be depending on the specific situation. Not enough info here to rule out poor play entirely.

GGC2912

GGC2912

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flop came Jack 8 ACE i Raised to the pot small blind went all in i called he had a set of jacks so was that a bad play or a bad beat.:questionm

He slow played you and its bad luck that you hit the top two pairs.
I would play it the same way you did, ten times over with those cards, position and flop :p

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
without notes you not can doing nothing, need know he can slowplay nuts and shove in flop with him, in flop i am too call him shove, many hands i beat ,,

K

kidnaping

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what should be

im thinking that 3/4 of pot is the right bet but the call doesn`t wrong

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How deep were you? what were the blind levels.. this could either be a snap shove or tank fold depending on stack sizes.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not a bad play or even a bad beat.

In chess, we have the so called "force move". You have to pay him off.

No regrets.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its not a bad play or even a bad beat.

In chess, we have the so called "force move". You have to pay him off.

No regrets.

agree.

It's not really a bad beat. It's a cooler. the hand played itself for both of you.

yes...he may have outplayed you a smidge by flatting preflop....but he took a lot of risk in doing so. And what if the flop comes AT8 or AQ5 or A82?