$Freeroll NLHE MTT: $5000 Freeroll - Is K10 playable when someone shoves?

W

Wanderluster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I am new here so I am not sure how to give all the relevant information...

I won a ticket to a weekly $5000 Freeroll. It was my first one. Everyone starts with a $3000 stack. 9 players per table.

In the beginning rounds, the BB was still only $100. I was on the button with Kd10d (about $2800 stack) and someone MP raises to $300. A few fold. I call but then SB shoves all-in for around $4000, then everyone folds.

I wanted to call with K10 suited on the button but I ended up folding.

I am curious, was a fold good here or should I have gone all-in? :confused:

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, it wasn't a good fold.

It was a great fold.

W

Wanderluster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the reply. Good to know! :D

Any suggestions on where to learn good tournament strategy?

I'm also curious, with all the advancements with HUD and tools for playing online giving players an advantage, is it a bad idea to try play online using a phone App?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
There's a section on here for tournament play on the forums.

As for HUD, it depends on the game type that you are playing. I would think cash games have more use out of HUDs than in tournaments.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually think huds can be more valuable in tournaments if you play the same tournaments over and over as the decisions late in tournaments can be for much more money than in cash.

W

Wanderluster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What I'm wondering is since phone's don't have the luxury of utilizing HUD, is it silly to try and compete using your phone against players that are at their PCs using HUDs?

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
KTs is not a great hand no matter how you look at it. Its fine to raise with it in late position but calling a raise or shove is nuts. If they have any King you are behind, any pair of tens of better, you are behind and Ace you are behind. Once there was the 3bet you hand fell from questionable to total junk. You fold was exactly what you needed and should have done. Good play.

Once thing you want to remember is not to fall in love with a hand. You wanted to call and there are players who will call but the winning players are the ones who fold hands like this and never think twice about them once they are folded. You are on the way to being a winner.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This early in the tournament you are under no pressure. K10 isn't a great starting hand. I don't mind the call (depending on how large the first raise was) to see a cheap flop and get out if you don't hit a monster. Due to the gap concept (one needs a better hand to call a raise than to open the pot) I wouldn't mind a fold here either.
Once the SB shoved you had to fold, there's just no reason to risk your whole tourney this early on K10 when the SB is representing such a strong hand.

W

Wanderluster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
KTs is not a great hand no matter how you look at it. Its fine to raise with it in late position but calling a raise or shove is nuts. If they have any King you are behind, any pair of tens of better, you are behind and Ace you are behind. Once there was the 3bet you hand fell from questionable to total junk. You fold was exactly what you needed and should have done. Good play.

Once thing you want to remember is not to fall in love with a hand. You wanted to call and there are players who will call but the winning players are the ones who fold hands like this and never think twice about them once they are folded. You are on the way to being a winner.

Thank you for the advice and I appreciate the encouragement!

W

Wanderluster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This early in the tournament you are under no pressure. K10 isn't a great starting hand. I don't mind the call (depending on how large the first raise was) to see a cheap flop and get out if you don't hit a monster. Due to the gap concept (one needs a better hand to call a raise than to open the pot) I wouldn't mind a fold here either.
Once the SB shoved you had to fold, there's just no reason to risk your whole tourney this early on K10 when the SB is representing such a strong hand.

Thank you for tips! :)