$Freeroll NLHE MTT: 4bet shove from UTG

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a freeroll and other micro tournaments I am just not folding AK unless I have a deadset read on my opponent. Even vs QQ our AK has about 40% equity, so we are far from dead. The fact is we block KK and AA combos and should be willing to flip with all underpairs since we are doing decently well.

Another thing I would like to touch on is I really like the 3bet and sizing preflop. We can fold to the jam from the BB behind us, where as we are effectively putting the UTG player all in and should always be snapping them off after we 3bet half of their stack. This is a good habit to practice! No need for us to go broke in crucial tournaments later in our future because we decided to 3b shove AK with 40bb and get snapped off by QQ+ behind us.

Anyways, love the preflop play, always calling off there after they shove. Again in the freerolls and micros I am never folding AK mid game. We should be well bankrolled for the stakes we are playing and just a fact of poker life is the lowest levels contain the players making the most mistakes - ie: playing their ranges incorrectly and calling off when they shouldnt be - so I am just never folding AK at these levels. Even here in this spot we get AQo to jam into us when in reality a competent player should recognize that the SB - of all players at the table - 3bet our UTG raise while we are on a short stack...if a good player is playing their range correctly they should ONLY be doing this with hands that have us beat. If villan weren't so short we could 3bet bluff the SB and fold to a 4bet - but never when we bet half their stack.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That should be the snappiest of snap calls.

B

BrewCrewWI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watching the replay. He raised minimum to 800. Had 6k+ left behind him. You had 16k+. Nothing wrong with the reraise imo. But when you raised it to more than 3k you put him at a position of calling over half his stack preflop out of position or reraising all in...which he did. He couldn't raise it in any form but all in.

So, if you are worried on calling his all in bet, the problem occurs with that larger 3bet. If you made it 2k only, maybe he fold or calls, or he raises all in regardless and now for 4k to call you question on calling that all in is more valid than how your hand played out, where you can only expect to call. You've got him covered, you're invested.

The way everything went down, I think this was good all the way. Player was around 16? BBs to start that was down to 14 after the minimum raise. I think your play would come with the caveat that you would call him allin had he reraised you, but had they folded because they were risking their tourney on an AQ os, out of position to a 3bet. Probably that player should have folded to your raise considering you had the amount of chips to eliminate them.

Looking back my numbers are off. I forget the already invested 800, so your raise was 2250 and player raised it 4k more. I'm still of calling here having a larger stack with the amount that would already be in the pot. But now seeing your raise was 2250 more, 5.5 blinds more I think you overbet the 3rd bet and it was enough to force his play. Raising 4 k was about the amount that could be cause for a bad call. Understanding their play in that situation. Didn't want you to call(wth are you calling my utg raise and 4bet?) can't you see I have strong hand? Them calling your 2250 raise would leave them on a loss on Shoving in until a double or triple up.

Just worked in your favor and that's poker.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you already have more than a third of the effective stack in the pot preflop, its never correct to fold. The reason is, that even if you are behind to his range, you will still be getting the correct odds to call. So even if you were bluffing with a hand like A5s or 99, this would still be a call.

Because of this you should usually not 3-bet for almost half the effective stack. You should either flat or go all in, since you committed yourself anyway. However as Jon Poker already said, in this particular hand, we were deeper against someone behind us, who was still in the hand as well, and then it makes sense to play the hand like this.

In this particular spot, we might even have to consider folding AK, if big blind wants to play for all his 55BB. The reason is, that we are the table chip leader, and he is the only other large stack, so it has huge ICM-implications for us to play a flip against him. We are already in a good position to run deep, and dubbling up to more than 100BB will not dubble our expected results in the tournament.