$Freeroll NLHE MTT: With 13 outs postflop, all in ?

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hello,

I'd like to hear your opinions. Early stage of an MTT, I had 20bb UTG (second lowest on the table). Hole cards suited connectors JcTc
Postflop I got flushdraw and gutshot straight draw, 12 outs, would you also call an all in?

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/224V5yUqZ

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
This gives me a bit of mixed feelings. How early in the tournament were you if you only had 20bb left?
Of course you'll need to find spots to double up but personally I would have probably waited for a better one.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
In a game with antes JTs is a standard open even from EP, but with no antes I think, we are probably going to be losing chips by playing this hand, and especially in a freeroll, where I would expect people behind us to do a lot of calling. So my prefered line here is to fold, but if you want to play the hand, then come in for a min-raise rather than a limp. As played I would also call closing action and getting a good price.

Flop
I like your decision to check to the preflop raiser, and my intention would be to check-jam, if he C-bet. Instead BB check-jam, so now you have no fold equity, and you might end up getting it in against both opponents. Even so this is still a very clear call. The SPR was only 1,7, and you had a combodraw with 9 outs to a flush, 3 outs to a straight, and 2 overcards to the board as well.

In a 3-way pot there are some situations, which are bad for you, like being against a set and a better flushdraw, where you would only have 3 outs to the straight. But these situations are rare, and overall this is a profitable call. You might actually be ahead of BBs jamming range, so if HJ gets out of the way, this is a great spot for you. And even when HJ gives action, you are still doing totally fine, because you are getting better pot odds in a 3-way pot.

Against their actual hands you had 43% equity, and with the pot odds, you were getting, you only needed 28% in chip EV. Which is a reasonable way to analyse the hand, since it was early in the tournament, and you were sitting on a short stack. ICM was not important at this point, and chips won were almost as valuable as chips lost. Having 43% equity, when you only need 28% is a pretty massive edge. So even if they had both shown their cards to you, this would have been a fist pump call. It just did not work out for you this time, but such is poker :)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't get limping here as you should raise or fold. UTG +1 at a 8 handed table I think this is right on the the borderline. I think if you small open here or fold it will be pretty even depending on opponents abilities. As played when you limp and then are getting almost 4 to 1 I think you should be calling there as you did. However you should not have put yourself in that spot since if raising villain bet to an amount they should have you would not be priced in to call and would be closer to commiting yourself and therefore would have a jam or fold decision which is not where we want to be with J10 suited. Better to open here vs limping by a lot.

On the flop with this flop my plan would have been to check jam as I think that was your plan as well. I hate that villain #2 put it all in which takes away the jam play from us and eliminates fold equity. I would think there is a good chance that I am behind a bigger draw here but since we also have 3 extra outs from a gutter (cant count the club if we assume we are going against two bigger clubs) that puts our outs around 9 against a bigger flush draw and we are getting about 2 to 1 if villain #1 folds so this is a call. There will be times you are going against 108 here or even if you are against a set you have more outs than 9 so you have to call here as played. If this same spot came up and you didnt have the gutter ball outs then I really think its a fold but thats debatable and still close as you would still have 6 outs even you were going against what you feared.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A flush draw always looks impressive, more so with a gutshot. If I had the kings I would have re-raised much bigger and you'd probably have folded. Can't say you did anything drastically wrong though.

GDubs13

GDubs13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree fully with your decision here to call the all in! Considering it is a freeroll so people will jump all in early, with garbage hands, to try to scare people out of the pot. I would put a wager on it the player in seat 9 did not expect either of you guys to call his all in. It's just unfortunate you didn't hit your outs in this case and that the player in seat 4 was holding pocket kings. I do support your call in this scenario and I believe I would've made the same call!! :)

E

easy play

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes ofcourse, with 13 outs you have 48% equity and pot odds are very attractive. I would have called. Folding too much equity and waiting for nuts adversely impacts EV in long run.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I like this play, many outs, a pity didn't hit - seat 9 > is super agressive - :confused:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like this play, many outs, a pity didn't hit - seat 9 > is super agressive - :confused:

Seat 9 overplayed his hand and paid the price by losing his entire 50BB stack.

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it s ok to go all-in withh to many outs you have good pot odds to call.

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Thanks a lot for all your comments. This hand was played yesterday in the CC 100$ platinum freeroll.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's just unfortunate you didn't hit your outs in this case and that the player in seat 4 was holding pocket kings.

Exactly. If seat 4 had been sitting with a hand like AK or AQ, he would have folded, and Hero would actually have won against seat 9 with a pair of T´s. So it was just a little unlucky for both Hero and seat 9, that seat 4 was at the top of his range with cowboys. Seat 9 was the one in really bad shape though drawing to 1 out in the main pot and 2 outs in the side pot, and his check-jam is by far the biggest mistake made by anyone in this hand.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A flush draw always looks impressive, more so with a gutshot. If I had the kings I would have re-raised much bigger and you'd probably have folded. Can't say you did anything drastically wrong though.

Except for limping a weak hand from early position.
Fold pre you have 20bb to find a better spot.

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why play limp-call preflop? If this is the initial stage of the tournament, then it is not bad to put up a flop. Because it's a ChipEV. I would like to raise 2 blinds and fold on 3 bet.