Flop:
* * 7♦ 2♣ 9♣
* * Hero checks
* * BB checks
* * UTG bets [600]
* * Hero raises to 1,800
* * 1 players fold.
* * UTG raises to 17,276, and is all in

This was in the CC freeroll today, really tough spot, Only beat by a set here and the villain limped utg, which made me think pocket pair, plus the big over-shove after my raise. What is the right move here?

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

hunterT1000

hunterT1000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Others might disagree but I think you are ahead here. Would be putting the UTG player on a hand like Ac7c. Cant see a set shoving here and risking losing you, although it is a drawing board. That doesn't mean I would necessarily call here.

Do you know anything about the UTG player?

sld2

sld2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't put him on a hand range like that, when he limped I put him on all pocket pairs, maybe a strong ace, there had been a lot of shoving going on so he could have been trying to limp and then reraise all in.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From the SB you want to raise or fold as you'll be OOP the whole hand. I wouldn't want to pick a battle with the big stack so I'd be folding 97o here. If it had been suited connectors then I'd be raising. With your info that it had been a table with a lot of preflop shoves I'd be doubly suspicious of a big stack UTG limp and fold all but a large pair here.

As played you hit your hand hard and I agree that a set is only about a 25% chance of a overbet shove here, so call.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to have to agree and say you're probably good here. I've seen a lot of people limp from UTG with pp so he could have a set but then you have to ask yourself why is he raising all in? Sure the board is a little drawy but i dont know, seems like he's just trying to scare you off

sld2

sld2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I went into the tank for awhile, called, and hoped that he had a big pocket pocket pair, instead he had a set of sevens.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snapcall.

You can never, ever, ever, ever, ever fold this.

Given that you've got a nine and a seven there's only 5 combinations of cards that beat you (1 pair of sevens, 1 pair of nines and 3 pairs of 2s). Against that are limped aces under the gun (6 pairs), probably some limped kings (6 pairs), and probably some other big pairs, some Ace 9s, some draws and other plain random stuff. It doesn't take much to put you ahead of his range.

At some levels with a read on your opponent that they don't limp big pairs under the gun and aren't actively drooling on the keyboard you can probably narrow the range and start to get worried, but in a freeroll it's got to be a call.