Folded AA - was it a good move?

U

Unmasked

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early in the tournament so I had no reads. I didn't think he had a 3 though maybe he had 66 but I suspected he had a flush draw on the flop. Did I play it too weak?

pokerstars Game #8446432353: Tournament #43042334, $6.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2007/02/14 - 22:27:25 (ET)
Table '43042334 4' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: Simba2000 (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: sbjnyc (1560 in chips)
Seat 3: jp2610 (1460 in chips)
Seat 4: lemmmon (1550 in chips)
Seat 5: hkorsvik (1660 in chips)
Seat 6: obeone (1580 in chips)
Seat 7: mure07 (1450 in chips)
Seat 8: RunicBard (1440 in chips)
Seat 9: mad'smoney (1300 in chips)
RunicBard: posts small blind 10
mad'smoney: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to sbjnyc [Ac Ad]
Simba2000: folds
sbjnyc: raises 80 to 100
jp2610: folds
lemmmon: folds
hkorsvik: folds
obeone: folds
mure07: calls 100
RunicBard: folds
mad'smoney: folds
*** FLOP *** [6d 3s 3d]
sbjnyc: bets 100
mure07: raises 300 to 400
sbjnyc: calls 300
*** TURN *** [6d 3s 3d] [Qd]
sbjnyc: checks
mure07: bets 950 and is all-in
sbjnyc: folds
mure07 collected 1030 from pot
mure07: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1030 | Rake 0
Board [6d 3s 3d Qd]
Seat 1: Simba2000 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: sbjnyc folded on the Turn
Seat 3: jp2610 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: lemmmon folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: hkorsvik folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: obeone folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: mure07 (button) collected (1030)
Seat 8: RunicBard (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: mad'smoney (big blind) folded before Flop

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't think he had a 3 though maybe he had 66 but I suspected he had a flush draw on the flop. Did I play it too weak?
3 is unlikely due to his pre-flop call of your bet, 66 would have called your turn bet to slow-play a monster, flush draw would have called you on the turn and not re-raised. Everything else you beat, so i cant see you being behind (scaredy cat! ;) ).

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya i call this too. dont be suprised if he flips a pair between 77-JJ or maybe 67/QK

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good fold, he was holding Q-Q and was letting you bet into him thinking he had the nuts and no amount of bet was going to chase him off, I assume he had the Qs b/c of his actions throughout and then going all-in at the turn

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
*** TURN *** [6d 3s 3d] Q♦

The Queen of Red Squares is a big danger card, good fold. (edit: oh it got fixed now :()

I jest, I jest. With the Ad this is a pretty easy call, heck even without it so many players will make this move with hands you're beating. Folding AA here is pretty much just weaksauce.

Last edited:
F

Fulltilthater

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should have called, he could have re raised on bluff, maybe he hit the 66 but thats not a big chance. So i would call, and hope he didnt have 66 or A3. He probably chased with AQ...

Stefanicov

Stefanicov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok you gotta call here u beating more than you losing too is a weak fold

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that I would call this. Although it might be a tight decision the Ace of diamonds makes it a call since even if you don't have the best hand now, you are drawing to the nut flush.

Looks like he has a large range of hands here that would do this, most of which you are ahead of. I think a fold here is too weak.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm 80% sure you had the best hand here. Instacall

Only thing I'm remotely worried about is a 3 or a low flush, both of which you have outs against. Players slowplay to death at these limits. A full house or big flush almost never straight pushes this turn after you give him the lead and show some weakness flat-calling the flop raise and checking to him.

good fold, he was holding Q-Q and was letting you bet into him thinking he had the nuts and no amount of bet was going to chase him off, I assume he had the Qs b/c of his actions throughout and then going all-in at the turn

Holy cow, someone is seeing monsters under the bed ;)

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call. Please call next time. I think you got way too creative in giving that money to him.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont overthink when you have a big pkt pair

I think you may have overthought the hand & put him on something that he didnt have. Yes you did play your pkt As too weak there...i think you should have went all in on the flop because your 100 bet was too weak there but theres always next time when youre in that situation & you play it different & take down that pot.

XxJackAcexX

XxJackAcexX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it was a very good fold in that situation!! you were probly being sucked out!! i think that any hand you make it through with a stack is a good hand!!

by the way i always play my A's to strong and either get no callers or get sucked out!! i have never fold my A's!! but then again i lose more times than i win lol good luck!!

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you are this early in the tourney with no real reads you sorta have to go on your gut instinct. So you folded pkt As, you are still in the tourney and you have time to figure out how they are playing at your table and still win the game.

D

drtofu66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doesn't anybody else reraise the flop AI? I think he's got 77-JJ and by the turn he has you on AK so he repped the flush.

As played, I call.

H

Heraclitus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pre-flop and post flop raises were both too weak to judge the strength of his hand, you trapped yourself

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pre-flop and post flop raises were both too weak to judge the strength of his hand, you trapped yourself

What? I don't see how raising 4xBB is weak in any way. What would you raise in that situation then? 6, 8, 10xBB?? There's no need from his position, with no one else in the pot for him to raise any more than he did. If he was in late position, with a couple raisers or callers before him, then a little bigger raise would be the right play, but from his position, there's no need to raise more than 4xBB. I don't think there was anything wrong with his pre-flop play, like some people here posted. Yes, his eventual play was weak, but his preflop play was absolutely standard and I see nothing wrong with it.

D

dan_ives

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think u should of put a biger raise in preflop i know theres less risk of a caller but i would of pushe al in on the flp odds are ur not gona call a big rasie holdin a 3

edge-t

edge-t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have reraised him all in with two diamonds on the flop. Bet the turn! You have outs to the flush and outs to make a full house. CALL! CALL! CALL!! :D

p215j

p215j

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unmasked I’m stunned by your fold here, just stunned. 1st your raise here is simply too small. 5xx bb online is way too small for AA, live play maybe. Your flop bet even worst, but in this case it helped because you had the hammer and failed to use it. Your hand is so strong that I’m 95% sure you’re ahead. I put your opponent on AQ at best, with the turn being a disastrous card for him.

Instant call! Very weak play on your behalf. Study more situations and get stronger.

TheRifle

TheRifle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop is Ok. Although in some/most instances, I like all-in. It depends how often you would expect a call. At these limits in your position I would vary between 3BBs to 5BBs and all-in. If you are all-in, often you will be called, and 80% of the time you will have a significant advantage for the rest of the tourney.

I don't really like your play post flop. It is too weak. As for not calling the turn, that is a mistake. Your opponent has a hand such as AQ or KK and you should be in front.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
eartly in contest, no reads, no improvement on flop or turn. I like the fold.
Sets up something for later, but not sure exactly what. Definitly sets your mindframe up.

Real question is how you did in the contest?????

H

Heraclitus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What? I don't see how raising 4xBB is weak in any way. What would you raise in that situation then? 6, 8, 10xBB?? There's no need from his position, with no one else in the pot for him to raise any more than he did. If he was in late position, with a couple raisers or callers before him, then a little bigger raise would be the right play, but from his position, there's no need to raise more than 4xBB. I don't think there was anything wrong with his pre-flop play, like some people here posted. Yes, his eventual play was weak, but his preflop play was absolutely standard and I see nothing wrong with it.

at level one it was a weak bet... at level one you either win it before the flop or play it weak and be prepared to drop it quick, everybody fromAK to 67suited will call 4X, even from early position... level one is always filled with weak players who back into the nuts and super-aggressives who are overplaying in the hope of tripling up early. I hate AA in the first rounds.

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at level one it was a weak bet... at level one you either win it before the flop or play it weak and be prepared to drop it quick, everybody fromAK to 67suited will call 4X, even from early position... level one is always filled with weak players who back into the nuts and super-aggressives who are overplaying in the hope of tripling up early. I hate AA in the first rounds.

67 suited? OK, I guess I don't get included in that everybody, because I wouldn't call a raise of 4xBB with 67 suited, doesn't matter how early in a tournament, limping with 67 suited in late position isn't horrible, but calling a 4xBB raise is a horrible play in the long run.

H

Heraclitus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
67 suited? OK, I guess I don't get included in that everybody, because I wouldn't call a raise of 4xBB with 67 suited, doesn't matter how early in a tournament, limping with 67 suited in late position isn't horrible, but calling a 4xBB raise is a horrible play in the long run.

first round call of 4X is 100... early rounders make loose calls and hope to hit... all I am saying is that AA is especially tough in the first round of bets and you have to be ready to toss it in...

personally I think the raiser who went all in against him had a Q, if a good player had hit the flush he would have check-raised, and the paired board put him off his AA... in a low stakes tourney like this one I would have called, on the bubble I would have folded..

Last edited:
renegades8

renegades8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd have to call this. Any hand that could have beat you he would have most likely slowplayed.

Folding in Poker