Flopped OESD in BB w/ small stack

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pokerstars Game #18039283573: Tournament #91539146, $0.10+$0.00 Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (125/250) - 2008/06/10 - 05:14:48 (ET)
Table '91539146 9' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: tschack (2395 in chips)
Seat 2: DennisCon (3865 in chips)
Seat 3: Armando W (2020 in chips)
Seat 4: Gummilover (2525 in chips)
Seat 5: TRM_SHRiMP (3075 in chips)
Seat 6: Athazoth (6805 in chips)
Seat 7: Elendarion (9055 in chips)
Seat 8: cornishpixie (14660 in chips)
Seat 9: McSup (7015 in chips)
tschack: posts the ante 25
DennisCon: posts the ante 25
Armando W: posts the ante 25
Gummilover: posts the ante 25
TRM_SHRiMP: posts the ante 25
Athazoth: posts the ante 25
Elendarion: posts the ante 25
cornishpixie: posts the ante 25
McSup: posts the ante 25
Gummilover: posts small blind 125
TRM_SHRiMP: posts big blind 250
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to TRM_SHRiMP [5d 8c]
Athazoth: folds
Elendarion: calls 250
cornishpixie: calls 250
McSup: folds
tschack: folds
DennisCon: folds
Armando W: folds
Gummilover: folds
TRM_SHRiMP: checks
*** FLOP *** [Qs 7c 6d]
TRM_SHRiMP: ???

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the first thing to do is to check. Try and keep this small. If they both check behind then you get a free turn card.

If the first player bets and the next player calls, then consider just calling, despite your short stack.

If the first player bets and the next player folds you have 2 options: fold or shove (i can't imagine him giving you a price to profitably call here). If you think he'll call your shove (based on some sort of read), then I'd fold. If you think your shove will take it down then go for it - with the OESD as backup if you do get called.

If the first player checks and the next player bets then same as last time - I'd be not too concerned about the player who checked, unless he's hit a monster he's not going to call a bet and a shove over the top.

If there's a bet and a raise then get out of there.

Awkward situation with your stack size but I don't think it's bad enough yet to warrant leading out with a shove. It's big enough to do a meaningful check raise, which shows a lot more strength than leading out, and as you don't really want calling I think it's the best course of action.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against the chip leaders.

Good healthy raise at least a good percentage of the time, IMO. A shove here is not out of the question, as your 'M' is weakening and at about m=8 you have decent FE. The chip leaders didn't get to be chip leaders by playing totally stupid. You will be representing the Qx hand.

Depending on your reads a shove may look to them as a bit desparate, where a good healthy raise will look strong. But that could be visa versa. This being a 10 cent tourney, unless you have solid reads I'm in favor of the Good Healthy Raise (GHR). In this case a GHR would be to 1000 IMO.

Last edited:
W

wsopJoe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You are out of position and that is not good. I would want to take control of this hand and you do so by betting first and hard. I dont think you'd win it otherwise. (with the cards you were delt this is among the best flops you'd care to see.) I'd lead out with a bet or 600 or 700 (there is 1100 in the pot) the flop was pretty raggy and unless they hit the Q or a set it'll be really hard to call you. if reraised I'd probably fold but really depends on your read -- if they would reraise you with Ax or kx . not likely that they would of slow played an AK, AQ AA KK QQ or other really big hand from early position. Also would depend on the range of hands you think they would limp with. I know this is a 10cent tournament and you do get maniacs with big stacks.

Last edited: