My first hand posted on here!!

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok this is my first attempt at posting a hand, so anything i get wrong , feel free to point out.

$30 sng, I am the chip leader after i flopped a straight, and someone with a 9 high flush draw called my all in on the turn :D

I am streetender, Villain is Barb_Wire

Stage #871198459 Tourney ID 1869807 Holdem Single Tournament No Limit $50 - 2007-08-26 03:18:24 (ET)
Table: 15865597 (real money) Seat #1 is the dealer
Seat 1 - STREETENDER ($4645 in chips)
Seat 2 - BARB_WIRE ($2120 in chips)
Seat 5 - TYPOKER ($2235 in chips)
BARB_WIRE - Posts small blind $25
TYPOKER - Posts big blind $50
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to STREETENDER [9c 9d]
STREETENDER - Raises $150 to $150
BARB_WIRE - Calls $125
TYPOKER - Folds
*** FLOP *** [8s 4h 3c]
BARB_WIRE - Checks
STREETENDER - Bets $300
BARB_WIRE - All-In(Raise) $1970 to $1970

I had been fairly quiet only played 2 hands, and won two big pots, it is folded round to me.

Villain calls my raise, I bet the flop and he moves all in. I used my whole time limit thinking about this, my notes on him was that he couldn't let go of top pair, or AK.

I actually put him on either A8, K8(yes honest) Possibly something like 66 or 77. OR AK. Of course 10 came through my mind, I really think he would have re raised with JJ-AA, and I Don't think he would move all in with a set on that board.

Thoughts ?

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The board is very dry regarding draws. Therefore, we have to put him on a made hand: how sure are you of this read: "I really think he would have re raised with JJ-AA"

"fold to donk aggression" is my suggestion. Not "letting go" of AK/tp usually means calling down, not shoving all in (right?).

I have to think you ran into a set (or TT?) here, or that your no rr w over-pair read was wrong.

Does he really shove w A8 ?

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well notes are just a guideline, I have him down as a bit of a livewire to say the least, but then again it seem nearly everyone at this level on AP is!

I realise my hand isn't real strong, would you say my play up until his all in raise is ok ?

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate the raise preflop. You should raise more and not mind if anyone folds. As played, i call flop.

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate the raise preflop. You should raise more and not mind if anyone folds. As played, i call flop.

I didn't mind if it was folded, it was short handed after all. I like to keep my pre flop bets 3 or 4 x, as there is often crazy all in moves on these tables, least I can get away from it cheaper.

It went through my mind earlier, he could well had AA, smooth called it, then moved in on the flop.

For what reason would you call the flop ?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PFR size is fine; if we're raising more with 'tricky' hands, ie med/small pairs and KQ/A9 type hands, our opponents will figure it out soon enough.

There are arguments for both folding and calling, obviously. Bet doesn't look like it wants to be called, but the pot is very small and he's risking a lot here for such a small reward. I've seen underpairs, TPTK and even AK play like this (despite it's unlikeliness due to no 3-bet PF), but I've also seen people slowplay big pairs or play sets like this too.

I think this would come back to my reads on the player, but this is a lot to risk for what is only just an overpair. I fold this most of the time, I think.

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was looking through Harringtons book volume 1 this afternoon, and he works these calls out as a mathematical thing, I really can't do this, I mean i can do pott odds, etc, but he really goes in to depth a bout all the hands the villain could have, then makes his decision

That is probably what sets great players apart from the rest, me i just go with my gut feeling..

How long do you let these threads run before posting the outcome ?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was looking through Harringtons book volume 1 this afternoon, and he works these calls out as a mathematical thing, I really can't do this, I mean i can do pott odds, etc, but he really goes in to depth a bout all the hands the villain could have, then makes his decision
Yep. Full hand analysis. That's what the pros are doing when you see them sitting there shuffling their chips and thinking. They're figuring out their opponent's range, their probability of winning against it (or the probability of pushing a hand off etc), then they make a decision based on that.

Pokerstove makes it easy, though :) With PT stats, we can usually narrow down villain's range more and make a more accurate analysis, but with the information given, I'd say villain's range was something like:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 53.047% 52.60% 00.45% 57798 495.00 { 9c9d }
Hand 1: 46.953% 46.50% 00.45% 51102 495.00 { 22+, AKs, A8s, K8s, 65s, AKo, A8o, 65o }

We're getting ~1.6:1 pot odds, but we're ahead of his above range so we can call. It's a little loose for villain though, and it could vary of course. It's definitely close.

How long do you let these threads run before posting the outcome ?

Usually until you get the answers you want :)

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I actually folded.

My gut feeling really was that I had him beat, but I was in a solid position in the SNG, pick a better spot. Some would say I had him covered in chips, so it was worth the call, Which I almost did.

Side note, I finished Second, and the Villain actually won it, he went all in with A6, I called with AK, you can guess the rest :D

STREETENDER - Folds
BARB_WIRE - returned ($1670) : not called
*** SHOW DOWN ***
BARB_WIRE - Does not show
BARB_WIRE Collects $950 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total Pot($950)
Board [8s 4h 3c]
Seat 1: STREETENDER (dealer) Folded on the FLOP
Seat 2: BARB_WIRE (small blind) collected Total ($950) All-In HI:($950) [Does not show]
Seat 5: TYPOKER (big blind) Folded on the POCKET CARDS

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow nvm me. I thought you minraised preflop. sorry :D (you got to 3-handed with blinds of 50? i gotta stop playin turbos)

I still call though.

I think slowplaying a big pair preflop oop is just as likely as him having absolutely nothing here. Imo hes only likely to do it with aces maybe.

A villain could pull this move and expect you to fold a lot of times, with such a board.

And theres tons of hands he could have. Even though u raised 3bbs, the blinds are still relatively low for 3-handed play, his range for calling a button raise is big imo and includes lots of hands you beat.

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No worries mate.

To be honest, the min raise isn't really in my aresnal of moves, I never really understood why people use it so much. Some of the sit and goes I play in, nearly all the table do it, but it just gives the odds to get busted in my opinion. It gives you very little info on what the player could actually have. I mean I have called min raises with some right rubbish against one player, just to try and bust him. Only real time i use it, is if the blinds are huge.

Maybe I should have called, I was still in decent shape even if I called and lost, and he actually went on to win the sng.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands