My first hand analysis post

A

akcash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey guys this is my first hand analysis on any forum.

I raised up in early pos to switch up my play and nobody opened before me.

bodog - $2.00+$0.20|<> NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3: http://www.pokertracker.com

BB: $1,640.00
UTG: $2,875.00
Hero (UTG+1): $1,965.00
MP: $1,995.00
MP+1: $1,760.00
LP: $275.00
CO: $995.00
BTN: $1,265.00
SB: $2,230.00

SB posts SB $25.00, BB posts BB $50.00

Pre Flop: (pot: $75.00) Hero has 7h Ah

fold, Hero raises to $165.00, fold, MP+1 calls $165.00, fold, fold, fold, fold, BB calls $115.00

Flop: ($520.00, 3 players) Kd 7s 6s
BB checks, Hero checks, MP+1 checks

Turn: ($520.00, 3 players) Ac
BB bets $400.00, Hero raises to $920.00, fold, BB calls $520.00

River: ($2360.00, 2 players) Qc
BB bets $555.00 and is all-in, Hero calls $555.00

BB shows 6c 6h (Three of a Kind, Sixes)
Hero shows 7h Ah (Two Pair, Aces and Sevens)
BB wins $3,470.00

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Moved to tournament hand analysis forum.

Welcome akcash, when creating HA threads, if you create them in this forum it will prompt you for titles and info for the thread.

T

The Spillage

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure you were ever getting away from this once that A came on the turn.

I would maybe question the preflop raise. I get the impression you realise it's not a usual raising spot and were looking to mix up your play. I would argue, that at this level, it's not really necessary. Few players are really paying attention to how you're playing at this level and so any 'metagame' benefits are unlikely to be reaped. Raising in EP with A7 is certainly -ev in the long run - the idea behind occasionally throwing it in at higher levels is to sow seeds of doubt in your opponents and, hopefully, get paid off at a later stage because of it and thus creating +ev. If your opponents aren't the thinking sort then it's unlikely to have this effect. And also, it's only really an effective ploy in deepstacked cash games or truly deepstacked tourneys. My advice: just keep it simple

T

The Spillage

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, and if you do decide to mix your game up in this way - then you're better off raising with hands that are unlikely to be dominated. 9 10 suited, for instance. It'll play much better post-flop.

A

akcash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, and if you do decide to mix your game up in this way - then you're better off raising with hands that are unlikely to be dominated. 9 10 suited, for instance. It'll play much better post-flop.

yea that makes sense. thanks for the imput

drgilbert4

drgilbert4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to be very careful with 2 pair hands. The only thing they beat is a pair or 2 smaller pairs. It is not unheard of to run into a set when you have 2 pair. It sucks, but it happens. Not really a great hand to risk your tournament life unless you have some kind of great read. This is a multi-way pot in which you do not have position. I don't know how you should have played this post flop after 3betting OOP with A7, but when you were called preflop and then it was checked around on the flop, there was a good chance someone was trapping with the set. Position is very important in this hand. It is tough to get away from 2 pair here... which is what the villain was hoping for in this spot. Also, this is a single table SnG. You really don't want to have what is pretty much all of your chips in the pot unless you have the nuts. Survival is the name of the game in the early stages. If you can have 2k in chips when it gets to 4 handed, then you have a good chance of taking it down. If you lose most of your chips early on, you are in real trouble. Tight early to build an image that can buy you some pots later on is the name of the game. Mixing up your game comes in the later stages of the SnG. Good luck to you!

A

akcash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to be very careful with 2 pair hands. The only thing they beat is a pair or 2 smaller pairs. It is not unheard of to run into a set when you have 2 pair. It sucks, but it happens. Not really a great hand to risk your tournament life unless you have some kind of great read. This is a multi-way pot in which you do not have position. I don't know how you should have played this post flop after 3betting OOP with A7, but when you were called preflop and then it was checked around on the flop, there was a good chance someone was trapping with the set. Position is very important in this hand. It is tough to get away from 2 pair here... which is what the villain was hoping for in this spot. Also, this is a single table SnG. You really don't want to have what is pretty much all of your chips in the pot unless you have the nuts. Survival is the name of the game in the early stages. If you can have 2k in chips when it gets to 4 handed, then you have a good chance of taking it down. If you lose most of your chips early on, you are in real trouble. Tight early to build an image that can buy you some pots later on is the name of the game. Mixing up your game comes in the later stages of the SnG. Good luck to you!

thanks, you made some great points.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
x2 to all that was said above, you can play these SnGs real straightforward. The majority of the money you make at these levels will not be due as much to how well you play but more to how badly your opponents play. And believe me, they play bad.

Just today I made a standard raise with AQ in middle position and got 2 calls. Flop was A 7 9. One player checked, I bet out, other player called, and initial player shoved. I called and he showed A3o while other player had J7s. As you can see, there was no magic to my play in the slightest, it was as standard as you can get, and yet I tripled up that hand and it made it alot easier to get ITM.

D

dungz84

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your stack is good for the time being and for your position I don't see why you should risk a raise with a junk hand. Be more disciplined and throw these type of hands from early positions so that you don't have to make such a difficult choice so early in the game. Your stack is very healthy use it to steal blinds when you have a chance from late positions.
Villain played the hand really good but still it's a typical set(flop) play.
Good luck man.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands