First hand of a bounty tournament - what our move?

BKrywko1

BKrywko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only small site that I have a few bucks on is Jungle Poker, and I like to play in their cheap-ass bounty tournaments when I get the chance. Half of the buy-in goes into the main tournament prize pool, and half goes to the bounty pool, in this case.

First hand of this tournament last night (90 or so players), and UTG with the blinds 10/20, we get 10-10 - obviously, we can't just limp in here, so we do a standard pre-flop raise. We get one caller, then the button jams all-in here - we now have a decision to make with 1 person behind us...what do you do here. and why? There are no wrong answers to the 2 questions I asked, because each situation plays itself out differently.

In this case, here's how I analyzed the situation:

- Would a player with a big pocket pair put in that much of a reraise on the first hand, especially if he wanted a call? Or is he trying to bully the table early with a small pair or an AK/AQ type hand? This smells like a bet trying to take it down early with 2 overs.

- If we decide that the player has 2 overs, we're still a favorite over his hand - I'll get my money in good, every time, if I can help it.

- We have no idea if the other player left to act after me has some sort of hand - just calling the first raise doesn't give me a lot of information as to what he or she has. Could be small pair looking to hit a set, could be 2 overs, could even be rags...hell, could potentially be a big pair, with the player hoping to trap post-flop. If we call, leave it up to chance that you're not beat by the 3rd player entering the pot.

Oh yeah, it's only a $2 tournament - and the kwality of play is fishy, to say the least, on this site. I decided that the first player had AK/AQ, and decided to take the coin flip. 3rd player entered the pot with 8-8 - lucky for me, my 10s held, and I earned 2 bounties on the first hand...nice! :D

Tough situation to be in, and was fortunate that my thinking was correct in this particular example.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even knowing the result I'd fold. First hand of a tourney plenty of chips calling an all in with TT is not a long term solid move.

Yes it's a coinflip often but you are very dominated a lot more often than you are dominating.

And nothing wrong with limping TT utg.

BKrywko1

BKrywko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should have added that Player 1 ultimately called with A-J.

Just to be argumentative here, if you trust your read that you're a favorite (even in a coin-flip) here, how do you fold...especially if trying to get stacked early (this is also a borderline-Turbo tournament)?

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're read says you're a coinflip then it's a fold. There's some equity in the pot with the chips already there and the other guy likely folding so that helps, but calling all ins is when you are at best 55-45 is going to get you knocked out 45% of the time.

Pusing first and ending up in coinflips is a different matter as is the situation when stacks change and blinds rise.

If it's a turbo then maybe it's different and I don't know the context of the specific tourney.

Stefanicov

Stefanicov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK early on in a bounty you dont really want to take risks you want to stay in and pick off donks so tht at the very least you get your buy in back

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
50-50 (roughly) chance in first hand of tourney for barely a few chips more?

Instant fold for me.

And if you say quality is fishy, then AA is possible. Some players when they see someone raising they go allin thinking its showdown time.

In freerolls for example you see allins with AA and KK a lot.

Btw i dont know what bounty tournament is, if it means you should take any opportunity to knock ppl out then i dont know.

Idnt have raised it preflop even.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to be argumentative here, if you trust your read that you're a favorite (even in a coin-flip) here, how do you fold...especially if trying to get stacked early (this is also a borderline-Turbo tournament)?

There will be plenty of chances where youll get your chips in preflop or postflop as way more than 50% favourite
(thats a general MTT comment ignoring the turbo bounty factor )

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First hand of this tournament last night (90 or so players), and UTG with the blinds 10/20, we get 10-10 - obviously, we can't just limp in here, so we do a standard pre-flop raise.

Why not? I'd probably limp here at a full table.

Whether you want to call on a coinflip is up to you. I'd probably wait for a better occasion to get my money in... in the situation you describe you're only 44% to win.

The existence of a bounty might make a difference I suppose. Sounds interesting - I've never played a tourney with a bounty on everyone's head!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands