First hand of a 45-man SNG

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars Game #18365802449: Tournament #93307225, $1.00+$0.10 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2008/06/24 - 23:37:22 (ET)
Table '93307225 5' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: lucky1308 (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: triumph97 (1500 in chips)
Seat 3: HenryPal (1500 in chips)
Seat 4: Karma'sKill (1500 in chips)
Seat 5: Jamison_AA (1500 in chips)
Seat 6: caimankokero (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: KyleJRM (1500 in chips)
Seat 8: zazibor666 (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: santijuan (1500 in chips)
triumph97: posts small blind 10
HenryPal: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to KyleJRM [6s 7s]
Karma'sKill has timed out while being disconnected
Karma'sKill: folds
Karma'sKill is sitting out
Karma'sKill has returned
Jamison_AA: folds
caimankokero: folds
KyleJRM: calls 20
zazibor666: folds
santijuan: calls 20
lucky1308: calls 20
triumph97: calls 10
HenryPal: checks
*** FLOP *** [6c 5d 4d]
triumph97: checks
HenryPal: checks
KyleJRM: bets 140
santijuan: calls 140
lucky1308: folds
triumph97: folds
HenryPal: folds
*** TURN *** [6c 5d 4d] [7d]
KyleJRM: checks
santijuan: checks
*** RIVER *** [6c 5d 4d 7d] [9s]
KyleJRM: checks
santijuan: bets 340

Too loose pre-flop? What about play after that?

I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold this early on preflop.

As for post flop, I do not like your turn check. Bet about 1/2-3/4 of this pot. Villian will tell you right here if he has the straight or not. The river really does nothing, as he is drawing to/completed the same straight draw. Easy fold on the river

theskillzdatklls

theskillzdatklls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
without question fold this preflop. don't even think about playing hands like these for at least the first four levels imo.

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a concept I've never gotten. I'm a pretty mediocre (at best) tourney player. It's always seemed to me that early in the tournament is *exactly* when I would want to play a hand like that.

It's costing me a tiny fraction of my stack to see a flop, and the bad players who might stack to me if I hit are still around. Later, when it becomes more expensive, speculative hands seems worse unless it's a backup for a steal.

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By all means play your scs in late position when there are people in the pot, but if you're in MP and the pot hasn't been opened then I tend to chuck them.

If there's already no-one in the pot the implied odds probably aren't there as there might not be enough people involved in the hand.

If you limp in early position you might get raised, and unless there's a lot of callers with you last to call the raise the implied odds probably aren't there either.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't mind the call with these cards, this a 1.00 s&g so it is 50-50 whether you will be able to see the flop just the 20 or not. By calling here you can induce a limp fest from weak passive players and really increase you implied odds. You will have to fold to almost any raise though as you will really be sandwiched with too many unknowns to stick around.

Betting the Turn in this spot is vital, as by checking the turn and then checking the river you are inducing bluffs and such and can easily be pushed off the best hand. Bet the turn and fold to a raise. If he smooth calls you are still done with hand unless you hit a full house on the river which you didn't and check/fold.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind the call with these cards, this a 1.00 s&g so it is 50-50 whether you will be able to see the flop just the 20 or not.

This is key to the preflop decision. On one hand, you may be wasting 20 chips. On the other hand, at this level I'd expect you be able to see the flop much of the time. Don't do this at a CC buyin tourney though.

M

MI_Snowdog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nothing wrong w/ playing this hand. however, if you're going to play that hand preflop in EP early in a tournament i think you should raise it. open limping is bad in EP. in LP you can limp and use your position later in the hand.

turn bet was weak. if you bet bigger here you may just win the pot.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is key to the preflop decision. On one hand, you may be wasting 20 chips. On the other hand, at this level I'd expect you be able to see the flop much of the time. Don't do this at a CC buyin tourney though.

Agreed, and at higher level S&G's this is probably a spew as well. I only play micro's though so I am not 100% sure of that.

theskillzdatklls

theskillzdatklls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a concept I've never gotten. I'm a pretty mediocre (at best) tourney player. It's always seemed to me that early in the tournament is *exactly* when I would want to play a hand like that.

It's costing me a tiny fraction of my stack to see a flop, and the bad players who might stack to me if I hit are still around. Later, when it becomes more expensive, speculative hands seems worse unless it's a backup for a steal.

it has nothing to do with cost / stack size that you SHOULD see flops w/ 67s. as a matter of fact, that argument in my opinion would only argue to the reverse. With an unreal high M like early blind levels (75) you play an extremely tight game because you can wait to see quality, there is no need to play hands that are likely a dog to other hands and can put you in extremely dangerous situations (higher flushes and your situation for ex.). higher cards allow for easier decisions. The only time you play 67s early that may have some reasoning behind it - that someone mentioned earlier - is if you are in late position with many callers in front of you. Even still I don't play ssc there, I need at least 78s+ personally. As M plummets thats when risks etc play in...

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, that makes sense. I knew you guys were right, I just couldn't wrap my head around the theory.

For the record, I folded the hand, so we'll never know. At least I did that much right :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands