FINAL TABLE. Dumb ass play by me?

S

scragbag

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
I would like all the constructive critiscism in th world. I often get deep into MTTs but i only final table about 9% an am ITM 19% of the time. So reasons why i should never have shoved here would be grand. My only reasons for pushing was the last 3 times id raised the big stack had RR me w/o showing down so thought i feel like this is a playable hand so i shoved but then get called by another big stack an get done. I look back an realise this really is only a marginal hand.It was a 180 Player Multi Table SnG

Stacks: - Davorinnr with 18807 - markmccoy with 26886 - DAEMOM_666 with 130469 - SuperDF with 54238 - Scragbag with 39600

index.pl

index.pl

Blinds:
Site: full tilt poker
* - Dealt to Scragbag:
jh.gif
qs.gif

* - Sklansky group 5
Preflop:
* - scragbag raises to 39,200, and is all in
**- 3 players fold.
* - superdf calls [36,200]
* - Scragbag shows :
jh.gif
qs.gif

* - SuperDF shows :
9h.gif
as.gif

* - Total folds this street: 3
* - Potsize: 75404
Flop:
jd.gif
ah.gif
9c.gif

Turn:
9s.gif

River:
ts.gif

* - Scragbag shows two pair, Jacks and Nines
* - SuperDF shows a full house, Nines full of Aces
* - SuperDF wins the pot (81,900) with a full house, Nines full of Aces

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

burton_boy

burton_boy

Rock Star
Total posts
Blinds?

It seems to me you got frustrated and allowed your emotions to get the better of you. As long as the blinds were not too high you had a decent amount of chips left relative to the rest of the table. One double up through the chip leader and you would be near even. It is possible he had a better hand than you everytime he raised , but if not you were bound to catch him sooner or later. Anything can happen when you go all in pre-flop, it takes a large amount of skill out of the game and as we all know, even aces get cracked. There's a good saying I've heard many times before, All in works every time.... except the last.
Next time maybe you'll stick around and battle it out:fight:

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Total posts
Yeah, QJ is not the greatest hand to be shoving with UTG... It dominates nothing, and is easily dominated by AQ, AJ, KQ, ect. If you're going to shove, and you don't mind being a coinflip, shove with something less likely to be dominated.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Total posts
i wouldn't call this a "dumb ass play", but i wouldn't do it

granted you have only 13 BBs and there are antes, which is getting into the territory where you're looking for somewhere to shove, but it's not as if the rest of the table is deepstacked in comparison, so they're looking for a spot to double as well. i think the problem is that the rest of the table is probably just "desperate" enough to be calling with a range of hands that you fare very poorly against (including KJ/KQ), while folding most of the hands you do well against

i'd like this better with 76s although i still think you're in good enough shape that you don't have to press with a hand like that yet, either. if your stack was 25k instead, i would, but i think you have a few too many BBs and you're not in particularly bad shape. only one player at the table has over 20 BBs

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Total posts
Awards
I think I wait for a better spot and a hand that's not as easily dominated if called too. With QJ, we really don't want a call, because we'll only really be getting called by better hands. At best we'll be in a coin flip vs an underpair. So we may as well be shoving any two cards.

With a slightly better hand, I'd make the same move though.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Total posts
After i thought about the hand, an that's exactly what i said to myself.
And the key here is that we can shove any 2 when there's only 1 or 2 players left to act in the hand, rather than this spot where we're UTG.

MGiani

MGiani

Rising Star
Total posts
I wouldn't of made it. QJ is such a tease of a hand. It has the appearance of a decent hand but rarely holds up.....at least for me.

S

scragbag

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
Quick sub topic

What's everyone's opinion on shoving from the button?

Obviously it's down to table image, but if we do get called by a monster i guess it's just tough s**t really?

An is it something to get yourself beat about or brush under the carpet an think 'well i wasn't to know'?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Total posts
What's everyone's opinion on shoving from the button?
Depends on the table. If its a bunch of captain-calldowns in the big & small blind, then I'd fold it. But if the players in the blinds have similar stack sizes, and are generally tight, then I'd shove any 2 cards.

When it gets down to low M play, I just make notes on who is willing to defend/shove with what. I shove all over the tight players with any 2, and I remain very selective against the calling stations. The key is to be able to target the players on your left, and adjust your play to how they're playing.

When you're UTG, you have no control, you're shoving into the whole table, so you can no longer tailor your hand selection to the 1-2 opponents that are left.

R

RocketManAA

Rising Star
Total posts
Sometimes just playing in a tourney for hours and hours will make you frustrated and make bad decisions. By the time you get to the final table you have been playing the same players for a good amount of time and like you said that player re raised you 3 times in a row.