Felt committed after PF raise...was I? KQs

A

Aleeki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should I have folded to the re raise? I often get situations like this where I have raised PF and get 3 bet. I think I should have folded here and looked to re build stack with another hand...?

Villian 27/9/1.0

pokerstars (Tournament): $6 + $0.50, 7 players
Mon Feb 25 02:59:02 NZDT 2008
Powered by Poker Academy (Format: HTML)

Aleeki ($2,270)
jjj993 ($5,050)
ulas29 ($965)
Paria05 ($3,333)
iseezebras ($2,920)
Eickola ($4,920)
DrmCatcher18 ($1,955)

iseezebras is the button.

Precards:
Eickola posts the small blind $100, DrmCatcher18 posts the big blind $200.

Preflop: Aleeki is dealt Q K (7 active)
Aleeki raises to $800, 2 folds, Paria05 raises to $3,333 (all-in), 3 folds, Aleeki calls $1,470 (all-in).

Flop: 7 2 Q ($5,903, 2 players)

Turn: 7 2 Q J ($5,903, 2 players)

River: 7 2 Q J 7 ($5,903, 2 players)

Final Pot: $4,840
Aleeki, net: -$2,270, Lost at showdown, has Q K (Two Pair, Queens and Sevens)
Paria05, net: $2,570, Won at showdown, has K K (Two Pair, Kings and Sevens)
DrmCatcher18, net: -$200, Folded Preflop
Eickola, net: -$100, Folded Preflop

Mehman

Mehman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your commited after throwing the pre-flop bet, your at about 10 BB later in a tourny you had to make the move at some stage, i think your just unlucky that you ran into the over pair as most times your taking down the blinds with that bet.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have one of those awkward ~11bb stacks here - it's difficult to know what to do with a strong but vulnerable hand.

I think you probably took the worst option here - you're right, you are relatively committed when shoved into. A 3bb raise doesn't quite commit you but will acheive exactly the same as a 4bb raise otherwise, or alternatively I couldn't blame you for just openshoving preflop here.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think this is a raising hand UTG with 7 players still at the table. I would either limp and more likely fold.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are times when I don't believe in being pot committed and this is one of those times.
Sure you raised preflop, but raising with a strong but vulnerable hand should just be to gather info on the strength of your hand and fold to most aggression unless you have a good read on villian which tells you this is a good call.
I personally would not call this unless I had seen villian playing quite laggy.

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After his shove you were getting about 2.5:1. So now you have to put him on a hand. If he has AK or AQ here you're a 2.7:1 underdog. If he has AA or KK you're worse than a 4:1 dog. If he has JJ or lower you would call. so it's kinda a borderline situation but you could have gotten away from it even though it would be hard to put in 1/3 of your stack then fold. Also you should have raised to 600 preflop IMO then you'd have an even easier time folding.

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whilst a 4BB raise is a perfectly decent play in a lot of situations I think that with your stack it does get you a little too commited at this point. The power of being UTG is that automatically your raise will be seen as a little stronger so a 3BB raise would be a very strong play anyway.

I think that even so you are still left with a stack of 1470 if you fold and the pot is 2570 so the odds are 1.75:1. As has been highlighted the hands this guy is shoving with make this a fold imo as you are too big an underdog to his range to make the pot odds worth it. Change the raise pre-flop and the odds only go down to 1.5:1 so the situation isn't massively different after pre-flop anyway.