Feedback on a hand I played.

M

mellow123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In an online tourney yesterday, $10 entry. I think about 75 to 100 enrolled, rebuy allowed.

It was somewhere around level 6 or 7. Blinds 50 / 100.
My stack was 4200.

I’m dealt pocket 10s in in cutoff.

EP ( $2400) calls 100 blind. Fold to me, I make it 400, button calls, blinds fold. Button ($7600) calls.

Now $1350 in pot.

Flop 5d 9d Kh

EP bets $500
I call
Button calls

Now $2850 in pot

Turn 10d

EP bets $800.

Before I go on with the rest, I’d like to see some responses what others would do at this time.

A

aviatorsam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in

I'd have gone all in
In an online tourney yesterday, $10 entry. I think about 75 to 100 enrolled, rebuy allowed.

My stack was 4200.

EP ( $2400) calls 100 blind. Fold to me, I make it 400, button calls, blinds fold. Button ($7600) calls.

Now $1350 in pot.

Flop 5d 9d Kh

EP bets $500
I call
Button calls

Now $2850 in pot

Turn 10d

EP bets $800.

Before I go on with the rest, I’d like to see some responses what others would do at this time.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

My stack was 4200.

Now $1350 in pot.

Flop 5d 9d Kh

EP bets $500
I call
Button calls

Now $2850 in pot

Turn 10d

EP bets $800.

Firstly I'd of raised bigger preflop to try isolate the limper. Is villian really donking with a flushdraw? Probably a King is more likely so I'd call flop and then shove the turn. If we get called by a flush we still have 10 outs and if we don't hit we can rebuy. Too good of an opportunity to enlarge our stack.

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pairs

My stack was 4200.

Now $1350 in pot.

Flop 5d 9d Kh

EP bets $500
I call
Button calls

Now $2850 in pot

Turn 10d

EP bets $800.

as pairs the normal I raise when it comes from 99 above, case of 88 below I just call and to try three-of-a-kind with pairs above 99 I have two options to raise or allin preflop..

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
In tournaments you should raise smaller because of shallower stacks. Raise 2.8-3bb over the limper. As played I like your flop call and just shove on the turn. Set is too strong with these stack sizes.

M

mellow123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I made a booboo, sorry.

What I meant to type was

EP ( $2400) calls 100 blind. Fold to me, I make it 400, Button $7600) calls, blinds fold. EP calls.

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you nervous about a flush, then I would think about opponent's range. If he has loose range that means usually he won't has suited hand. To me it's look like kings at best, which you've just beat on the turn ;)

Last edited:
J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Already on the turn and the size of the bet is showing you that he wants to continue with the initiative but his hand no longer has the strength it had on the flop. It was your moment to take the initiative and decide how far to take your hand. I would think what would be the best way to get everything out of it.

M

mellow123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for those who shared their thoughts on this. It’s insightful and interesting how different people play hands in certain situations. That’s what makes poker cool.

So, summary of responses:

King likely, shove on turn

Raise or all in pre-flop

Raise less because of shallower stacks, shove on the turn

If worried about flush, think about opponents range. Probably a king

To the comment about lowering raise preflop, I did initially think about 3x, but pocket 10s can easily be beaten by any paint, so I needed hands those with two unmatched face cards or AX to really risk, and if someone went over the top of that raise I might let it go.

All in preflop? I didnt think I was ready for that with 40xbb

The consensus seemed to be shove on the turn. Which is what I did, because I also placed EP on K or trying to keep bet sizing low on a flush draw.

BUT……

Button insta-called my shove

Of course I instantly knew I needed that last card to pair the board.

EP thought about it long enough before folding that I put him on maybe two pair. Don’t know what he had because he folded.

Cards are turned up, he shows Qd4d.

Blank for me on tbe river. My little icon disappears from the online seat and I get a “ thanks for playing popup”

One thing I tend to forget about more often than not is the third player sitting idle while I’m faced with what to do against the aggressor player.
I’ve been in both ends, seen the stealth player gladly let two battling opponents raise the pit up for him to collect at the end, , or been the stealthy one.
I might add in all of your comments that you also seemed to be referencing the villain EP, but no mention about the player behind me.
But most or all of you would not doubt have pondered the button before moving.

Would I have played this differently if I really stopped to think about the button? After all, he also called my 400 raise on the flop. I honestly don’t know.

I probably would have, and prayed he wasn’t sitting there with 2 diamonds, because I had absolutely no read on his hand, other than it was good enough to call the raise.

Even if I just called, he most likely would have shoved to avoid a 4th diamond to hit, making an A or K diamonds the boss, and of course i couldn’t go anywhere with muddle set .

I think I made the right call, but I was taken aback for a moment that he called my 4x preflop raise with Q4, albeit suited, but then realized he had both of us dominated in chips and was willing to loosen it up

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for those who shared their thoughts on this. It’s insightful and interesting how different people play hands in certain situations. That’s what makes poker cool.

So, summary of responses:

King likely, shove on turn

Raise or all in pre-flop

Raise less because of shallower stacks, shove on the turn

If worried about flush, think about opponents range. Probably a king

To the comment about lowering raise preflop, I did initially think about 3x, but pocket 10s can easily be beaten by any paint, so I needed hands those with two unmatched face cards or AX to really risk, and if someone went over the top of that raise I might let it go.

All in preflop? I didnt think I was ready for that with 40xbb

The consensus seemed to be shove on the turn. Which is what I did, because I also placed EP on K or trying to keep bet sizing low on a flush draw.

BUT……

Button insta-called my shove

Of course I instantly knew I needed that last card to pair the board.

EP thought about it long enough before folding that I put him on maybe two pair. Don’t know what he had because he folded.

Cards are turned up, he shows Qd4d.

Blank for me on tbe river. My little icon disappears from the online seat and I get a “ thanks for playing popup”

One thing I tend to forget about more often than not is the third player sitting idle while I’m faced with what to do against the aggressor player.
I’ve been in both ends, seen the stealth player gladly let two battling opponents raise the pit up for him to collect at the end, , or been the stealthy one.
I might add in all of your comments that you also seemed to be referencing the villain EP, but no mention about the player behind me.
But most or all of you would not doubt have pondered the button before moving.

Would I have played this differently if I really stopped to think about the button? After all, he also called my 400 raise on the flop. I honestly don’t know.

I probably would have, and prayed he wasn’t sitting there with 2 diamonds, because I had absolutely no read on his hand, other than it was good enough to call the raise.

Even if I just called, he most likely would have shoved to avoid a 4th diamond to hit, making an A or K diamonds the boss, and of course i couldn’t go anywhere with muddle set .

I think I made the right call, but I was taken aback for a moment that he called my 4x preflop raise with Q4, albeit suited, but then realized he had both of us dominated in chips and was willing to loosen it up
Thats why I prefer a bigger raise preflop to isolate the limper for myself rather than giving those behind a cheaper price to call especially if they are deeper stacked.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Isolating a limper to 4BB is completely fine and standard.

Flop
Limper comes out for a donk bet a little under half pot. With another guy left to act behind you, this one is pretty close. Its sort of ok to peel one, but had the bet been any larger, this would have been a fold for me, and even with this size I dont hate folding. The thing is, even if you have the best hand, its going to be very difficult to get it to showdown, so in a sense you are kind of drawing to a 2-outer. Heads-up this would be a much more easy call.

Turn
You hit the miracle card, but it also brought in flush and straight draws, and BTN is still in the hand as well. You face a rather small bet, which is kind of silly sizing, because the limper now has 1.700 in the middle, and he only left himself 700 behind. You are obviously not folding now, so the only question is call or jam.

You do have a little over a pot sized bet left against BTN, and for that reason I do lean towards just calling. My focus here is not trying to get away, if someone has a flush or straight. But I want to get value from hands like KQ or KJ with no diamond, which are now drawing dead, and I think the best way to that is by just calling,

Results
So BTN had a flush, and you ended up getting stacked. This is just poker, and even if you had just called on the turn, as I slightly prefer, there is no way, you could have gotten away from this situation other than folding on the flop. If BTN jam the turn, you have to call it off, and if he just call, you have to get the rest of your stack in on a blank river card.

But here is the thing. The guy called a big raise preflop with Q4s, and calling with suited junk like this is going to be a losing play for him in the long run. Occationally he will bink his flush and stack someone, but just think about, how rarely that acutally happen. The chance for a suited hand to make a flush is only around 4%, and to get this perfect result he also need for someone else to hit very strong but second best, and for noone to have the A or K high flush or a boat.

So just let the guy enjoy his lucky moment. The great thing about poker is, that an outcome like this will convince him, calling with suited junk is a fantastic play, and he is a great poker player. And for that reason he will come back and continue to donate his money to the game 10$ at a time making the same fundamental mistakes over and over again. You on the other hand just suck it up and play another one :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands