extracting value with KK early stages of a SNG

THe Slob

THe Slob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s early stages of a SNG. Until the last hand, I hadn’t played outside of the blinds and have been getting crap cards. I’d been playing kind of tight and hadn’t raised preflop yet, so I thought I could get away with a stealing the blinds, so on the previous hand I raised to 3x BB with J 10 off suit when it was folded around to me, both the blinds folded. Next hand I’m delt KK; again I raise 3xBB. The button calls and both blinds fold.

full tilt poker $2 + $0.25 Sit & Go
Table 1 - 25/50 - No Limit Hold'em

Seat 1: HappyFolk (2,985)
Seat 2: The Slob (1,425)
Seat 3: johnnyv999 (1,780)
Seat 4: dogo argentino (1,195)
Seat 5: princessbubba75 (1,895)
Seat 6: barrybbq (1,375)
Seat 7: TormentaXXX (1,505)
Seat 9: Ghost Phil (1,340)
princessbubba75 posts the small blind of 25
barrybbq posts the big blind of 50
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to The Slob [Kd Kh]
TormentaXXX folds
Ghost Phil folds
HappyFolk folds
The Slob raises to 150
johnnyv999 folds
dogo argentino calls 150
princessbubba75 folds
barrybbq folds
*** FLOP *** [6h Jh Qs]

I had no read on the villain at this point, he had just lost two previous hands one where his opponent had been calling with nothing the whole way and spiked a Ace on the river.

Now what do you do? You’ve got an over pair to the board, there’s a possible flush draw, but I’ve got the Kh. What’s the best way to extract maximum value here? Check and hope they bet, min bet and hope they reraise, or just bet out like 1/2 the pot.

Just want some opinions on how different people would play this.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What’s the best way to extract maximum value here? Check and hope they bet, min bet and hope they reraise, or just bet out like 1/2 the pot.

none of the above... just make a real bet like 250-300, call a shove

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet like 250 or 300 and call a shove.

You have a hand, BET IT !

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker, you make money when your opponents make mistakes. Giving them a free card, or an especially cheap one, gives them no chance to make a mistake. They can either fold a hand where they are behind, or call at good odds.

THe Slob

THe Slob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bet 200, because I didn't want to give him a free card with this flop and what I expected was his calling range. Anyway he insta-folded.

Given the board I thought the bet was in order, I just wanted confirmation on weather that was the correct play or not.

I checked him out on shark scope several hands later, after some questionable plays, and and he's got a -21% ROI and lost around $3,700. From the hands he showed down later in the tournament he was just as likely to be calling in this spot with and 7 2 off suit as he was with any legitimate hand.

Richyl2008

Richyl2008

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd bet close to pot on that drawwy board. If it was dry flop like j52 or something I'd go with a smaller bet around 1/2 pot to try and get a call.

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey rich welcome to CC from your posts it seems like you have a very good understanding of the game! And I agree, you need to bet very strongly here like 250 to 300 and call a shove. This is an extremely dangerous flop with two high cards and straight and flush draws