Dont know exactly how this forum runs, but....

D

Dioptrics

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heres the hand i got knocked out with tonight. I was pretty sure going into it i had low odds, but heres the setup.

Im big blind, i have a 9 10 suited, everyone folds but the guy to my left.

Flop= K 8 J

So i raise the minimum to see if he has anything, and he puts me all in. I call it

he flips over a K 8

He gets a 8 on the turn, so the hand is dead.

dunno, maybe a stupid idea chasing the straight, but he was chip leader and i wasnt touching his stack unless i took a chance.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi. Read thru some other threads to see formats.

Usual procedure is to post hand histories or converted hand histories. If live, try to recreate as close to a hand history as possible.

Stuff that you're missing is stack sizes, blind sizes in particular. Also relative level of play (a $1 tourney requires different approaches than a $10), reads, payout structure if you're close or ITM, ect.

If your chip leader is limping K8 UTG, then I'm assuming the quality of play is not too high. An OESD is good for a semibluff, but why bet minimum? A probe bet is 1/3 pot but if there's only 2.5 blinds in the pot (I'm guessing based on your info) unless the blinds a big there's not much point putting less than 2 blinds in, imo.

If you've got chips, fold to his shove. If you feel like gambling, an OESD is fine.

theskillzdatklls

theskillzdatklls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the important thing to know is your chance of winning, open ended straight draw is not that good by itself, you have about a 30% to win on both turn and river if you go all in - not something you want to risk tournament life over if you can help it. If you have straight and flush draw, this is a very good hand all of a sudden because you become about ~60% to win - assuming no one has you beat - and finally if you have a straight flush + 2 overcard draws, thats a great hand, and a rare one.

naturally, all these base odds need to be put hand in hand with pot odds so the story continues..

ultimately your hand was a definite fold unless blinds were high and you were short stack

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally I have learnt not to call on all in when my tournament life is at stake with just a draw.

the ONLY time I will do this is if I have an up and down straight draw, and a flush draw with at least middle pair.

8 outs is simply not enough, you want 14 - 18 outs if youre chasing when it seems as though you're already a dog.

the amount of time you go broke vs the amount of times you hit a draw is not even close to balanced.