Don't act quickly, think !

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stacks: - aliengenius with 9515 - dakota-xx with 4305 - Me_Zorba with 4700 - Freakakanus with 14480

Blinds are 500/250 w 50 ante.

Zorba has raised exactly ONCE preflop in the entire tournament, has been calling all ins w hands like KTs, calling ANY bet with any draw, and generally playing too many hands (35/3/.08).

index.pl

index.pl

Site: full tilt poker
* - Dealt to aliengenius:
9d.gif
7s.gif

Preflop: me_zorba calls [500]
* - freakakanus calls [250]
* - aliengenius checks
* - Folds: 1
* - Potsize: 1500
Flop:
9h.gif
9s.gif
5h.gif

* - Freakakanus checks
* - aliengenius bets [1,300]
* - me_zorba raises all in to [4150]
* - freakakanus calls [4,150]
* - aliengenius ???

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
If i remember correctly I had 55 that hand
But you are correct I do play too many hands and it is something I am trying to overcome, I do find it hard to fold AK AQ QJ KJ and the like, especially when the board shows rubbish.
(the other thing you must remember these games are in the middle of the night for me, not that that is an excuse, its just to let you know I am sleepy most of the game).
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
zorba -- don't give results!!!!

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lmao

Well unless you think Zorba is making this move with a slowplayed overpair, by your reads he's got to have trips (you're only beating four other 9x hands, all unlikely) or 55 for a set.

Freak's cold call is definitely very scary to me given my experiences with him, and I agree with folding this (which is what I assume you do unless you acted without thinking :)). Freak's not calling cold with a five, nor do I see him doing it with 88-66 tbh. Well that's possible actually, but not probable given the action so far IMO.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its Freaks overcall here that would have me very worried. If he shoved then id actually be more inclined to call it.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
which is what I assume you do unless you acted without thinking :)

lol ^^ yep, I shoved.

Honestly, this is a pretty easy fold. I really thought Zorba was crushed, that he could even be on a flush draw, or have a five, or even weaker nine.

Turns out he had JJ, Freak had 55.

Once again the hand that kills me at the end of the tournament is one that I played like a donk and only really thought about my hand, "zomg three nines, heeeeehaaaaaw!!" instead of the situation.

So, the real question is, how do you stop yourself from making these donkey errors at near the end of a tournament when you are probably a little fatigued? Take your time !

But for some reason, it's hard to follow my own advice.

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its Freaks overcall here that would have me very worried. If he shoved then id actually be more inclined to call it.

I'm glad I can actually worry someone......... :)

and I really expected AG to fold because I didn't push......

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
yes that was the knock out hand your right
I thought it was earlier.sorry
its silly but I was happy just to place

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At least I was able to avoid going broke earlier:

fulltiltpoker Game #4066989090: Cardschat $100 Added Buyin (30641990), Table 1 - 150/300 Ante 25 - No Limit Hold'em - 13:47:13 ET - 2007/11/04
Seat 2: jaymfc420 (3,505)
Seat 3: aliengenius (9,445)
Seat 5: kozlo6pack (2,020)
Seat 6: dakota-xx (4,230)
Seat 7: Me Zorba (2,875)
Seat 8: kittyxxkat (2,905)
Seat 9: Freakakanus (8,020)
jaymfc420 antes 25
aliengenius antes 25
kozlo6pack antes 25
dakota-xx antes 25
Me Zorba antes 25
kittyxxkat antes 25
Freakakanus antes 25
dakota-xx posts the small blind of 150
Me Zorba posts the big blind of 300
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to aliengenius Q♣ K♣
kittyxxkat folds
Freakakanus calls 300
jaymfc420 folds
aliengenius calls 300
kozlo6pack folds
dakota-xx calls 150
Me Zorba checks
*** FLOP *** 5♥ 4♠ Q♦
dakota-xx checks
Me Zorba checks
Freakakanus bets 600
aliengenius calls 600
dakota-xx folds
Me Zorba calls 600
*** TURN *** [5h 4s Qd] 9♠
Me Zorba checks
Freakakanus bets 2,100
aliengenius calls 2,100
Me Zorba folds
*** RIVER *** [5h 4s Qd 9s] [Th]
Freakakanus bets 4,995, and is all in
aliengenius has 15 seconds left to act
aliengenius: wow
aliengenius has requested TIME
aliengenius folds
Uncalled bet of 4,995 returned to Freakakanus
Freakakanus shows 5♣ 5♠ three of a kind, Fives
Freakakanus wins the pot (7,375)

Think I should have raised the flop?

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good fold there AG. On the turn it started to look like a set and by the river it smelled like one too, also considering the PF limp.

I think the question you're asking about raising the flop is a really good one. Personally I'd have played it the same way you did, calling the flop and not raising it, mostly because if you raise and get called it becomes harder to get away from the hand if later you feel that you need to. If you raise this it has to be to at least 1600 and with the pot getting that big you can get tempted to call big bets on the next streets because you're worried about your opponent trying to steal it from you. Of course this doesn't mean that smooth calling is the perfect strategy, because it carries the risk of getting outdrawn by hands like a weaker Q or small/medium PP's. But I'd take that chance rather than losing more than I should if I run into a big made hand like a set or a limped AA or KK and I'm not, in the same time, able to get away from my hand, for whatever reason (loose player, don't have a read on him, seen him bluff before, seen him overplay weak hands, etc).

This case is a bit different though because having played him before you probably have a pretty good idea how Freak plays and if he 4-bets or calls the raise and leads out the turn then you might have a good idea you're beat and you can fold. This approach would have saved you chips for sure because your raise would have been much less than the 2100 you paid on the turn so in the end you would have folded at a cheaper price. This last point is what makes the question legitimate if you should have raised or not on the flop, and at times plays like that can save you chips that ultimately can make a huge difference for the rest of the tourney.