do you call this?

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so I was in a live satalite tournament to a bigger tournament recently and found what I thought was an obvious call but several players have told me it was a really bad call.

there were 11 players left 10 players go through no prizes for 11th.

i had a stack of about 8 BB and was blinding out fast there were two stacks of 5 and 6 bb.

the small blind had shoved into my big blind 6 hands in a row from when had the chance (situations where no raises before him.) and I was suspicious he was literally shoving any two cards into me (though not 100%) I had previously called him off when he shoved 6 blinds into me when i had 25 with K7 he turned Q6 off suit.

I was in fear of blinding out and he shoved into me again and I looked down and saw KJ off suit. to me this is an obvious call as the other two shorties one keeps getting walks and the other seems to have aligator blood he just wont bust. in a lot of spots in my mind i have two overs to his two ragged cards and this seems like a call to me but if i lose it I am out.

I did call he turned over A2 I was like **** then hit two pair on the flop (hit the K and the J not something like K44) leaving him to need some form of runner runner (straight or some combo of A2 22 AA etc)

the question is giving the info provided was this a bad call or the right call?

kokoalexkoko

kokoalexkoko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My friend play yesterday in tournament for tickets to Prague EPT. 4 players on final table he was chip leader and he has AA. Push all in A 2 calls... flop K 10 8 turn 2 river 2... no comments)

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My friend play yesterday in tournament for tickets to Prague EPT. 4 players on final table he was chip leader and he has AA. Push all in A 2 calls... flop K 10 8 turn 2 river 2... no comments)

The same thing happened to me last month when I was well enough to get a ticket for the tourney just by sitting out. But I got A A and went into the action and got out by A 9. 9 9 did hit on Turn and River.
Since then I play for survival in a satellite tourney.

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Well I mean the problem is that you obviously need to have a calling range and a shoving range otherwise your literally folding every single hand and blinding out anyway.

I mean your situation here is just a bad beat story I doubt many people here will be saying your friend should fold Aces or raise then fold to a shove. I do know one guy who has final tabled the sunday millions a few times and even won the tournament once, he says he folds AA pre sometimes but he is weird and I think he is lying there.

according to ICM theory I am sure I would need to be super super strong to call in my spot as 11 players left 10 get paid obviously everyone else profits from our clash.

But I question if ICM works so well here as the risk of blinding out is significant.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When a bubble enters a satellite tournament, and there are 2 players with smaller stacks, the SB challenge in BB is a bad game, even if the opponent is playing for the first time at all.
It's my personal opinion.

12345djon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would throw a bubble when there are two people with a smaller stack than you, I would prefer to wait until one of them leaves the tournament.

J

JSLuckySJ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the bubble with midle stack I usually play very tightly.

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it was a bad call, because on a satellite it is worth pulling the wave and not making chips. I see that there are two players with less chips that you do not have because you take the risk first, not to mention that it was a call from K high, and he can go all in with several Axs and you'll have to pray to get it right, so I think it's a pretty easy fold!

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would also fold this spot

No reason to risk you ticket as long theres 2 other players with smaller stack.
Satelites require a different approach, its pure survival :D

I have missed out on many tickets fighting back in situations that belongs in
a regular tournement, but no more. I go for the ticket only.

T

Tuan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to say this is a good judgment, good decision, and good observation. The shoving guy will loose his chip lead later, we have to take advantage of his weak holding now because we need a double up.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so I was in a live satalite tournament to a bigger tournament recently and found what I thought was an obvious call but several players have told me it was a really bad call.

there were 11 players left 10 players go through no prizes for 11th.

i had a stack of about 8 BB and was blinding out fast there were two stacks of 5 and 6 bb.

the small blind had shoved into my big blind 6 hands in a row from when had the chance (situations where no raises before him.) and I was suspicious he was literally shoving any two cards into me (though not 100%) I had previously called him off when he shoved 6 blinds into me when i had 25 with K7 he turned Q6 off suit.

I was in fear of blinding out and he shoved into me again and I looked down and saw KJ off suit. to me this is an obvious call as the other two shorties one keeps getting walks and the other seems to have aligator blood he just wont bust. in a lot of spots in my mind i have two overs to his two ragged cards and this seems like a call to me but if i lose it I am out.

I did call he turned over A2 I was like **** then hit two pair on the flop (hit the K and the J not something like K44) leaving him to need some form of runner runner (straight or some combo of A2 22 AA etc)

the question is giving the info provided was this a bad call or the right call?

I would have folded as you are getting into a race and there are 2 stacks smaller than yours.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you are guaranteed to get your ticket by folding your way to it. And although this player has been shoving light into you, I think a fold is the best play here.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very tough spot, nothing worse than being the bubble boy, but knowing the player has been shoving any two, sometimes you got to call and just hope for the best, especially cuz folding would have left you with 6bb, i call!

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The small blind was right in shoving any two.

I'm calling with the KJ against the shove range of the SB. We are good here a large percentage and will easily get the ticket after we win this hand.

How big was the buy-in of the satty compared to the bigger tournament? I'm not sure that should factor in, maybe?

Bubbling sucks but winning that hand would seal the deal for the ticket pretty much and we win there often.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold. With two stacks shorter than me on a satellite bubble I'm pretty much folding all but QQ+ to a raise. However I would widen my own range, pushing all-in where I'm confident I can steal the blinds. As long as you're not the shortest stack your all-ins often get respect as people don't want to risk busting themselves and put you on a narrower range for the same reason. Remember, position and stack size of yourself and your opponents, as well as reads on your opponents, are vitally important when trying this. Properly executed it should help you stay ahead of the two shorter stacks.
I don't know how ICM works in satellites but I'm sure it's worth considering.

710suited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At that stage, it's fold or shove. With 2 shorter stacks I might wait a few hands to see if someone makes a move.

T

TDTODDY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like most players I have bubbled with similar hands. In your defense. it is difficult to fold your way into sat. tix. The blinds/antes are high, and the tables are often short. Waiting one more circuit may have made this choice mute.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
BAD... this is a fold!
You're essentially handing equity to the rest of the table (ez game for the others).

Why not do the calculations on this? Call & win.. increases the value of our stack to ??? Call & lose = ?