Defending the small stack

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In one of our friendly evening tourneys I am the short stack. Sammy in previous play is LAG. What is my play here?

Stacks: - Sammyv1 with 2940 - Trent's_Momm with 2175 - dj13 with 5270 - Kenzie96 with 3490 - klitkat with 1730 - xxxKissMyxxx with 3895

index.pl

index.pl

Blinds: 50/100
Site: pokerstars
* - Dealt to klitkat:
7d.gif
6s.gif

* - Sklansky group 8
Preflop:
* - Sammyv1 raises 200 to 300
* - klitkat calls [250]
* - Folds: 4
* - Potsize: 700
Flop:
ts.gif
3s.gif
js.gif

klitkat?

Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold preflop?
I have never heard of the concept of "defending" a short stack. There comes a point where your stack size is perfect for a resteal all-in shove preflop, but that's as close to this phantom concept as I can get.

Last edited:
skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
easy fold PF -- seriously, without a stellar read, what is your plan?

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A) You may have the "shortest" stack at the table, but a stack of 17x the BB isn't really a "short stack" in need of "defending".

B) Fold preflop for sure. 76o is horrible to call 3x BB PF. Then you will be OOP on the flop. Maybe a call is OK in better position with a bigger pot, but not here. Doesn't matter if "Sammy was LAG".

C) I think the answer you were looking for is: As played, check/fold the dangerous flop.

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold pf easy. Not much else to add :( You want big cards against a loose player, especially when you don't have enough chips to protect something so marginal as 67o.

But now, check fold.

TubaMark316

TubaMark316

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold PF and wait for something else...That's it.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you had like 500-600 less chips and sammy wasn't raising UTG i could just about see a stop n go or a resteal shove as being options here, but you don't and he has, so it's an incredibly easy preflop fold and a pretty routine flop check-fold.

skold asked a pretty pressing question - out of position against a UTG raiser with an awkward stack to work with - what is your plan?

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold pf even if I had the biggest stack. Even with SC. It is hard to draw OOP. :ridinghor

Given the stack size, calling with the intention to bluff after the flop is not an option either.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty bad call preflop.

But since your not comfortable playing with this stack (in that specific tourney, since its making you make bad calls), id just go ahead and shove here and hope he doesnt have a spade.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trade in your hand for AQ of spades and value bet one time.