couldn't crack Kings

M

Mooronic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Game #1744174834 - Tournament Quickie - 100 player max - 10/20 No
Limit Texas Hold'em - 2006/10/01-10:31:09.8 (CST)
Table "Quickie 9" (MTT) -- Seat 3 is the button
Seat 1: maggie555 (1,500 in chips)
Seat 2: thinklucky (1,500 in chips)
Seat 3: Rievo72 (1,490 in chips)
Seat 4: muchado30 (1,480 in chips)
Seat 5: Mooronic (1,500 in chips)
Seat 6: Orange19 (1,220 in chips)
Seat 7: HitStickODU (1,500 in chips)
Seat 8: boost862 (1,480 in chips)
Seat 9: fivedollar (1,830 in chips)
Seat 10: cambidgei (1,500 in chips)
muchado30: Post Small Blind (10)
Mooronic: Post Big Blind (20)
Dealing...
Dealt to Mooronic [ Ks ]
Dealt to Mooronic [ 9h ]
Orange19: Fold
HitStickODU: Fold
boost862: Fold
fivedollar: Fold
cambidgei: Fold
maggie555: Call (20)
thinklucky: Fold
Rievo72 : Call (20)
muchado30: Raise (60)
Mooronic: Call (50)
maggie555: Call (50)
Rievo72 : Call (50)
*** FLOP *** : [ 3s 4h 9c ]
muchado30: Bet (100)
Mooronic: Raise (300)
maggie555: Fold
Rievo72 : Fold
muchado30: Call (200)
*** TURN *** : [ 3s 4h 9c ] [ Kd ]
muchado30: Bet (200)
Mooronic: Raise (700)
muchado30: Raise All-in (910)
Mooronic: Call (410)
*** RIVER *** : [ 3s 4h 9c Kd ] [ 9d ]
*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: 3,100 | Board: [ 3s 4h 9c Kd 9d ]
maggie555 lost 70 (folded)
thinklucky didn't bet (folded)
Rievo72 lost 70 (folded)
muchado30 bet 1,480, collected 3,100, net +1,620 (showed hand) [ Kh Kc
] (a full house, kings full of nines)
Mooronic lost 1,480 (showed hand) [ Ks 9h ] (a full house, nines full
of kings)
Orange19 didn't bet (folded)
HitStickODU didn't bet (folded)
boost862 didn't bet (folded)
fivedollar didn't bet (folded)
cambidgei didn't bet (folded)

----------------------------------------------------
With his 3x bb raise, I limped from the bb in knowing he had strength. I hit the high card on the flop and thought he missed (technically he did) so my pot sized raise seems reasonable on the aggressive side. On the turn, I was pretty sure he just paired a K and egged him all-in with my 2 pair (again too aggressive?). I thought he just had a high drawing hand – AK, KQ or something and didn’t even consider him having KK.

This was the 2nd hand of the tourney so no reads. The previous hand was won with KK, so I guess I also considered it unlikely of them appearing again. Any other pocket pair short of 9’s would’ve lost.

Based on the cards that were dealt, I was destined to lose money on this hand regardless of how I played them – There’s no way I’d push him out pre-flop and sitting on the bb with mediocre cards, it didn’t seem unreasonable for me to limp in vs. folding / raising. I guess I shouldn’t have pushed all in on only 2-pair (he would've pushed me in regardless), but it really seemed he just was trying to steal with an inferior hand vs. slowplaying the Ks.

Thoughts/advice?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop. Yes, you're getting good pot odds, but this is assuming neither of the players left to act after you come over the top (it might sound silly limp-reraising from MP/LP but I've seen it done often before by bad players).

As it is you're out of position relative to everyone bar the preflop raiser, you hold a marginal hand, and it's the early stages. If you flop a 9 you could be in all sorts of trouble vs an overpair or any random hand the donks limp/call with (as actually happened), if you flop a K you could well be in kicker trouble. There's absolutely no need to play K9 here when you're essentially hoping to flop 2 pair+ to be anything like confident in your hand, just let your 20 chip blind go.

The previous hand was won with KK, so I guess I also considered it unlikely of them appearing again.

This makes no sense.

Vintage82

Vintage82

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought he just had a high drawing hand – AK, KQ or something and didn’t even consider him having KK.
How can you put him on AK or KQ and not KK after a raise?

He slowplayed it well enough for you to get a decent hand, unfortunately his was higher. Nothing wrong with the betting as far as I can see.

You could try by being tighter preflop, fold the K9 in the early part of the tourny. You can't win the tourny in the first level, but you can lose it.

This was the 2nd hand of the tourney so no reads. The previous hand was won with KK, so I guess I also considered it unlikely of them appearing again.
:confused:

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, fold pre-flop. You wouldn't raise with this hand, so not much point calling a raise with it. It's not even a good drawing hand - you can't make a flush or a nut straight with it. The best you can hope for is two nines, or a nine and a King with no other high cards on the flop.

M

Mooronic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the input. I'm aware that I should've folded pre-flop, but the pot odds were tempting enough for many to call. I'm curious as to whether any of you would have played it differently after the flop?

The KK comment was not really relevant, just made a point that they appeared the previous hand. If there is a 3/51 chance of someone getting KK, the non-official-law-of-averages odds of it happening twice in a row affected my play (I know, same % every hand). It shouldn't have, I know & high pocket pairs tend to come in bundles for some reason.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with all those above, you have to simply fold K-9os pre-flop, it's just garbage.
and to answer your question: I dont think anyone here would even consider holding K-9os.

medeiros13

medeiros13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm aware that I should've folded pre-flop, but the pot odds were tempting enough for many to call. I'm curious as to whether any of you would have played it differently after the flop?
I recently read an interesting article on Full Tilt (mods, I'm not sure if there is a competition factor here...if so, please delete my link) about Allen Cunningham's run to the final table in the main event. http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/proLessons.php?lesson=73

In the event that this link gets deleted, the point it makes is that Cunningham played in only 4 large pots in the play leading to the main event. He had sets in 2 of the hands, nut flush in another, and AA vs. KK PF in the final hand.

So, In response to your question, I keep the pot reasonably low. We all know the average winning hand in hold'em is 2 pair but it's far from a monster. Keep those bets around half pot and learn something about your opponents...particularly early in a tourney

BillyTheBull

BillyTheBull

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not have played this in the first place, either, but that aside, your biggest mistake was that you were way too aggressive right after the flop. Yes, you had the high pair at the time based on the community cards, but 9s is not a high pair by any standard, so the likelyhood of those 9s getting beat all kinds of ways is huge with the turn and the river still to come. If anything, you should've just called his 100 bet to see the turn and then re-evaluated, rather than re-raising (which is exactly what he wanted you to do, of course).