Could I have seen this coming?

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I got knocked out on this one. The table was loose preflop and kind of tight postflop up to this point. I am JesseGame. I have gone over this several times and can't think of a way I could have played any differently, unless I wanted to go all in with my set on the flop. Any comments? Thanks

pokerstars Game #10410085124: Tournament #52738554, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2007/06/13 - 01:15:30 (ET)
Table '52738554 1' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: Ron_Savi (1170 in chips)
Seat 2: lexveg (1580 in chips)
Seat 3: tired8s (1910 in chips)
Seat 5: mcfrizzle (1675 in chips)
Seat 6: Shooter301 (1820 in chips)
Seat 7: JesseGame (1425 in chips)
Seat 8: fifteenQQ (3280 in chips)
Seat 9: Odysseu$ (640 in chips)
mcfrizzle: posts small blind 25
Shooter301: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to JesseGame [5d 5s]
JesseGame: calls 50
fifteenQQ: folds
Odysseu$: folds
Ron_Savi: folds
lexveg: folds
tired8s: raises 50 to 100
mcfrizzle: folds
Shooter301: calls 50
JesseGame: calls 50
*** FLOP *** [6h 4d 5h]
Shooter301: bets 250
JesseGame: calls 250
tired8s: folds
*** TURN *** [6h 4d 5h] 6♦
Shooter301: checks
JesseGame: bets 150
Shooter301: calls 150
*** RIVER *** [6h 4d 5h 6d] 2♠
Shooter301: bets 400
JesseGame: raises 400 to 800
Shooter301: raises 400 to 1200
JesseGame: calls 125 and is all-in
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Shooter301: shows [6s 4s] (a full house, Sixes full of Fours)
JesseGame: shows [5d 5s] (a full house, Fives full of Sixes)
Shooter301 collected 2975 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2975 | Rake 0
Board [6h 4d 5h 6d 2s]
Seat 1: Ron_Savi folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: lexveg folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: tired8s (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 5: mcfrizzle (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: Shooter301 (big blind) showed [6s 4s] and won (2975) with a full house, Sixes full of Fours
Seat 7: JesseGame showed [5d 5s] and lost with a full house, Fives full of Sixes
Seat 8: fifteenQQ folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: Odysseu$ folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You've got a set on the flop but it's vulnerable to flush and straight draws.

There's a time for slowplaying things, but this isn't it.

The other guy clearly has part of it with his decent bet so you need to reraise to get as much in the pot while you are probably ahead. Any heart 8,7,4 or 3 and you are possibly behind.

As played you are going busto once he hits a better boat.

tiltboy

tiltboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with above. Not to say you would have won the hand but your set was very vunerable on this flop.

Slow playing wasnt the right play the table was tight post flop so he may have folded (although i think he would have called).

Very unlucky on your part.

N

nvdispatcher

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I gotta agree with the first guy. Flopping a set on a board that isn't as threatening as that one, slowplay is probably a good idea. However with a flop that is great for so many different drawing hands you need to take it down right then while you definitely have the best hand. By flat-calling you gave your opponents a good price to draw out. I would have done a substantial raise to isolate at worst and hopefully take it down right there.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately I think chances are real high you're going to lose here no matter what, I don't think villain would fold his 2 pair on the flop even if you reraise all-in because its likely he would think you're doing it on a draw and I don't see him folding this, unless he's a good player.

That said, the correct play was certainly a raise to give yourself better opportunity to take it down on a dangerous board, but mostly for the principle of making people draw with wrong odds. You don't know he has 2 pair, the board is heavy on draws and you need to prevent him from drawing correctly. It wouldn't make a difference in this hand because easily villain would have reraised you all-in for the same reason (draws), but in general when faced with situations like this slowplaying, as was suggested above, is the wrong way to go.

Once the 6 hit the turn that was it, your tournament was going to end there. A bad break.

Better luck next time dude.

A

AcesorKings

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately I think chances are real high you're going to lose here no matter what, I don't think villain would fold his 2 pair on the flop even if you reraise all-in because its likely he would think you're doing it on a draw and I don't see him folding this, unless he's a good player.
Well, if we´d raise all in on the flop, we wouldn´t want villain to fold his two pair.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, if we´d raise all in on the flop, we wouldn´t want villain to fold his two pair.

True. We want him to call. All I meant was its the only way he could of avoided the suckout, but of course if you'd know his hand you would want a call.

The whole reason I suggested a nice raise is that whatever draw he's on (if indeed he's on a draw) you want to give wrong odds. Once you do that, by definition, you hope for a call. If he hits so be it, but make him do it incorrectly. Being that he had 2 pair, I doubt there is any way villain will fold it. By saying that I just wanted jazz to realize that even if he would of lost anyway, he still should have played it differently.