Could I have gotten more?

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Full Tilt Poker Game #1375135889: $20 + $2 Sit & Go (9717680), Table 1 - 30/60 - No Limit Hold'em - 18:55:56 ET - 2006/12/08
Seat 1: ducks247 (1,750)
Seat 3: Tha_Butcha (1,345)
Seat 4: rgbaker (2,385)
Seat 5: jee-hoon (1,710)
Seat 6: Deltarex (1,710)
Seat 7: combuboom (1,835)
Seat 8: EetMyNutz (870)
Seat 9: Low_Chicago1 (1,895)
Tha_Butcha posts the small blind of 30
rgbaker posts the big blind of 60
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to combuboom [8d 8h]
jee-hoon folds
Deltarex folds
combuboom calls 60 Blinds are low, lots of limping pre-flop, decided I'll try to hit a set instead of raising
EetMyNutz calls 60
Low_Chicago1 folds
ducks247 folds
Tha_Butcha calls 30
rgbaker checks
*** FLOP *** [2s 7h 2c]
Tha_Butcha checks
rgbaker checks
combuboom bets 120
EetMyNutz folds
Tha_Butcha calls 120 Ut oh
rgbaker calls 120 Ut oh again
*** TURN *** [2s 7h 2c] [5c]
Tha_Butcha checks
rgbaker checks
combuboom checks Not one, but two check-calls on the flop from the blinds on a drawless board. Call me paranoid but I'll be damned if someone doesn't have a deuce. A 7 is more likely to lead out on the flop, as well as here. I'm taking the free card, and if I don't hit an 8, I'm done with it.
*** RIVER *** [2s 7h 2c 5c] [8c] BINGO
Tha_Butcha bets 420
rgbaker calls 420 Well someone definitely has a deuce, right?
combuboom raises to 1,655, and is all in
Tha_Butcha folds
rgbaker has 15 seconds left to act
rgbaker folds
Uncalled bet of 1,235 returned to combuboom
combuboom mucks
combuboom wins the pot (1,860)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1,860 | Rake 0
Board: [2s 7h 2c 5c 8c]
Seat 1: ducks247 (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: Tha_Butcha (small blind) folded on the River
Seat 4: rgbaker (big blind) folded on the River
Seat 5: jee-hoon didn't bet (folded)
Seat 6: Deltarex didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: combuboom collected (1,860), mucked
Seat 8: EetMyNutz folded on the Flop
Seat 9: Low_Chicago1 didn't bet (folded)

Should I have raised less? A minraise in this spot may seem suspicious as hell, but may be cheap enough with the pot size that I get a call from a deuce + something else that just can't lay it down. With the 3 clubs on the board and the all-in bet, I guess I made it too obvious that I could beat trip deuces. But is there any way I couldn't have made it obvious?

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Next time leave the results off to avoid results-oriented replies... Then after some responses, post the results (though to be fair, if this thread was about a dog name, you'd get a lot more response...lol).

Anyway, gotta run, so short reply this time. Depending on your read, if they are decent players, there's a good chance both were on over cards and if they saw you as tight, they didn't put you on a 7 or 2, hence the calls. But on the river, you screamed strength. If I put them both on over cards or over pairs, then the river 8 (2nd nuts) warrants a smaller raise for value.

Sorry for the short reply, gotta get to dinner. Had a few other comments...try to get back to it later.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the other two prob had face cards and you wouldn't have gotten anymore than what you did.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see how we're putting them both on face cards/high cards given how the hand played out and the fact they were the big and small blinds. Maybe one of them, not both... makes no sense.

EDIT: And for added info, it's very early in a sit 'n go, and I probably don't have an especially tight image. I was dealt a few good hands and won 2 without showdown, but I think it was too early to have much of an image one way or the other.

Last edited:
NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you think butcha tried to steal, and baker (butcha and baker, candlestickmaker, maybe they're playing together?) thought he was trying to steal, but you showed an actual hand? In which case any raise might have chased them.

But, yeah, I still would have put at least one of them on a 2. And maybe a miniraise would have been the best you could do.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you think butcha tried to steal, and baker (butcha and baker, candlestickmaker, maybe they're playing together?) thought he was trying to steal, but you showed an actual hand? In which case any raise might have chased them.

I mean, it's certainly possible. Butcha could have been trying to steal, but that seems like a dangerous move with two guys in the pot considering one lead out and another check-called on that flop. But to also figure baker assumed he was trying to steal and called that big of a bet with the other guy (me) to act behind him... all combined, it just seems really unlikely.

Glad I'm not the only person who put at least one of them on a 2. I was starting to think I was paranoid, but it honestly made the most logical sense to me.

zebranky

zebranky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean, it's certainly possible. Butcha could have been trying to steal, but that seems like a dangerous move with two guys in the pot considering one lead out and another check-called on that flop. But to also figure baker assumed he was trying to steal and called that big of a bet with the other guy (me) to act behind him... all combined, it just seems really unlikely.

Glad I'm not the only person who put at least one of them on a 2. I was starting to think I was paranoid, but it honestly made the most logical sense to me.

Glad I'm not the only person who put at least one of them on a 2. I was starting to think I was paranoid, but it honestly made the most logical sense to me.[/quote]

Here's my read - cold as it is without a betting history on the players - Butcha is probably trying to steal - not betting the turn makes no sense if he has a 2. With 2 clubs out, someone holding the deuce needs to bet to shut out any flush.

RG Baker I would put on a pair - either the 7 or 5 - good enough to call, but not to raise. It could also be a straight, given the board. Either way, he has to fold any real raise, with both the flush and a board pair out there.

I think a baby-raise is the only thing that would work - and only RGBaker is going to call. Most people will pay a little to see the better hand, so a raise of 1/4 pot is about the best you could have gotten called on.

Your bet absolutely screamed strength - which is not a good thing unless you've got an image as the guy who bluffs a lot.

Z

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But there was one club on the flop and everyone stayed in after a bet. The odds of someone still being in having 2 clubs is really low, and even if they do, internet players absolutely love to slowplay. I don't doubt tons of them would check the turn with a deuce here, figuring I would bet again.

And if RG Baker has a pair of 7s, him not betting the flop really makes no sense. And it seems kind of extremely unlikely that he calls the flop bet with no pair and no draw, but has a 5 in his hand and then hits it on the turn.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your bet absolutely screamed strength - which is not a good thing unless you've got an image as the guy who bluffs a lot.

Z

A related thought; how would you have bet if you had, say 2 pair?

I'm just thinking, if you want calls/raises, think how you would bet that represented a hand they would want to see. Of course, that depends on what you think they have because that determines what they would want to call you on.

zebranky

zebranky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry, I should be more specific - RGBaker is the only one I'd worry about. If he has A7 suited to match one of the two's, he may feels his draw odds aren't bad (flush, 7 or A) to lock the hand. I would call on the flop with that hand. I think, though, that it is most likely he has a pair over the board or a deuce, giving him what (in his mind) are strong hands to win.

The only possible mistake, I think, is that you bet too big with a 3-cards-to-the-flush on the board - anyone who didn't have the flush is probably going to fold (of course, you would love it if someone thought their flush was the nuts). Then again, I'm a big advocate of taking down hands without showdowns, so I don't think you made a mistake in the long run. Sure, you may not have milked a few more chips out of that particular hand, but it leaves the other guys wondering whether you were bluffing, which you can exploit down the line...

Z