Check this one out

MrBove

MrBove

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know I should post only the hand history up until the last decision and let people debate over it, but I was pretty wowed by this play from this guy so I'll just post it all.

This was a heads up tournament. So far I had been outplayed a few hands, this guy must have thought he had the advantage over me. Still I don't know why he did this.

pokerstars Game #15436570515: Tournament #78142225, $20+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Match Round I, Level I (10/20) - 2008/02/21 - 00:33:33 (ET)
Table '78142225 1' 2-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: Fr33 Lancer (1300 in chips) [this be me]
Seat 2: Uslu Otur (1700 in chips)
Uslu Otur: posts small blind 10
Fr33 Lancer: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Fr33 Lancer [Ah Qs]
Uslu Otur: raises 20 to 40
Fr33 Lancer: raises 20 to 60
Uslu Otur: calls 20
*** FLOP *** [Qd 2d 4c]
Fr33 Lancer: bets 90
Uslu Otur: calls 90
*** TURN *** [Qd 2d 4c] [Th]
Fr33 Lancer: bets 300
Uslu Otur: calls 300
*** RIVER *** [Qd 2d 4c Th] [Jc]
Fr33 Lancer: bets 850 and is all-in
Uslu Otur: calls 850
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Fr33 Lancer: shows [Ah Qs] (a pair of Queens)
Uslu Otur: shows [Kh Js] (a pair of Jacks)
Fr33 Lancer collected 2600 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2600 | Rake 0
Board [Qd 2d 4c Th Jc]
Seat 1: Fr33 Lancer (big blind) showed [Ah Qs] and won (2600) with a pair of Queens
Seat 2: Uslu Otur (button) (small blind) showed [Kh Js] and lost with a pair of Jacks

Any thoughts on my play here?

Last edited:
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any thoughts on my play here?
Well, I hate the min-raising PF, if that's what you mean. It isn't limit, AQ is a big hand HU and you're going to be oop the rest of the hand. His min-raise is crap and can mean anything; I'd repop PF to like 120. Then go from there.

I'm fine with the rest of the hand though. Congrats on doubling up.

CrackaNACtion

CrackaNACtion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well It Was Nicely Played... Depends on What People ThinK Though. I Meanslow playing that aq and not raising to like 300 or something prob told him u had a weak hand and u hit flop on him and he didnt expect it and he chased a pair to try to beat u. im with jack though id raise to like 120 or something specially with a hand like that heads up!

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really have a problem with minraises HU. I wouldn't do it all the time but it increases the size of the pot a little bit without giving anything away about the strength of your hand. We haven't got the objective of thinning the field as there's only one player.

Saying that though I'd raise more to 100 or so. I'd also do this with trash hands every now and then so that my big hands got big pots whilst being disguised.

renegades8

renegades8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise to 120-140 preflop, you're not accomplishing anything with the minraise. As for slowplaying it, it's not THAT strong of a hand to slowplay. Sure you're giving away the strength of your hand, why else would you re-raise there? By raising to 120 you have a chance to take down the pot there instead of playing OOP since he's never folding there, and if he calls you've built up the pot even more and you've got a better idea as to what he's holding.

As played I'm pretty much fine with your turn and river play. Maybe bet a bit smaller on the turn as you're likely to scare him away there (unless he's been incredibly loose).