Call here? How did i play it?

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
full tilt poker Game #6045206734: $2 + $0.25 Sit & Go (46019547), Table 1 - 40/80 - No Limit Hold'em - 13:04:39 ET - 2008/04/15
Seat 1: marsh15390 (4,015)
Seat 2: DJ912 (1,130)
Seat 3: reivax31 (1,490)
Seat 4: shezmart (1,545)
Seat 6: -Erzinho- (1,385)
Seat 9: thepowertaylor (3,935)
shezmart posts the small blind of 40
-Erzinho- posts the big blind of 80
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to thepowertaylor [8h 8d]
thepowertaylor calls 80
marsh15390 raises to 240
DJ912 folds
reivax31 calls 240
shezmart folds
-Erzinho- has 15 seconds left to act
-Erzinho- calls 160
thepowertaylor calls 160
*** FLOP *** [9h 8c 6c]
-Erzinho- has 15 seconds left to act
-Erzinho- checks
thepowertaylor has 15 seconds left to act
thepowertaylor bets 1,250
marsh15390 calls 1,250
reivax31 folds
-Erzinho- folds
*** TURN *** [9h 8c 6c] [7s]
thepowertaylor bets 100
marsh15390 calls 100
*** RIVER *** [9h 8c 6c 7s] [Jd]
thepowertaylor checks
marsh15390 bets 2,425, and is all in
thepowertaylor folds
Uncalled bet of 2,425 returned to marsh15390
marsh15390 mucks
marsh15390 wins the pot (3,700)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3,700 | Rake 0
Board: [9h 8c 6c 7s Jd]
Seat 1: marsh15390 collected (3,700), mucked
Seat 2: DJ912 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: reivax31 (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 4: shezmart (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 6: -Erzinho- (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 9: thepowertaylor folded on the River

How do u think i played the hand??
I was priced into the call pre-flop but i probably would have called anyway because i usually like to at least see a flop with my med pairs. Because of the quite draw heavy flop i put in the 1250 bet, is it a bad play to over bet the pot to scare off chasers as my 3/4 pot bets rarely work at this level??

When my flop bet was called I put him on a big pair, which, when the turn came got me thinking it could have been pocket 10's, that would have made the flop call possible although i now think that i'd push all in over the top at this point if i had 10's to really scare off any draws whilst still having plenty of outs myself

The turn bet was an error on my part. As i type in the amount i want to bet, i was getting a bit short on time and typed 100 by mistake, this was intended to be a 1000 bet, however after thinking about it i now think that this makes his all in push on the turn more likely to be a bluff as he would have definetly perceived the 100 as weakness and when another scare card came down gave me a hard decision to make. Also i now think that the 1000 bet would have been too weak and for me at this point it should have been an all in or a check fold??

At the time i'd over thought the whole hand and convinced myself that he was on a straight and folded but now i'm doubting that and think that it was more likely he was holding a big pair, poss JJ, or even Ax clubs

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers

odinscott

odinscott

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would had let him bet first after the flop, since the straight potential came out there. But if you wanted to take a stab at it, you did the right thing with the big bet. After that, you only bet 100 after the turn, begging him to call and begging him to beat you. Never give a free card! (which you know and do say - you would had been best to just push if you wanted to commit to the pot at that point) Make him pay to see that last one, if he really wants to. If he already had the straight, you were giving your money away anyways. Folding was probably the best thing you could had done, after the J. You were surely beat at that point. I dont doubt that he had the straight though, like you do. He only needed a 10 and he could have had A10, 1010, etc.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My question is why didn't you shove all in in the flop? That is a very draw heavy board but it unlikely anyone is holding 10-7 or 5-7; shove and if you can win it right there so be it. I think you would still be called by AA or KK in that spot.

Did you have any reads on the villian that would make you think your hand was best after the river card?

M

marble

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My question is why didn't you shove all in in the flop? That is a very draw heavy board but it unlikely anyone is holding 10-7 or 5-7; shove and if you can win it right there so be it. I think you would still be called by AA or KK in that spot.

Did you have any reads on the villian that would make you think your hand was best after the river card?

because you want to give your opponent some rope with your monster flop. if your read is AA KK QQ then the chips are going all in anyways even with your lead bet unless he decides to slowplay.

.....btw the hero was bluffed out of this pot on the river.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What? How do you KNOW he was bluffed off of this pot? His monster hand on that board is very vulnerable, slowplaying is a mistake in this case because of exactly what happend on the turn and river, same if a third and fourth club comes. There a lot of cards that the hero doesn't want to see on the Turn or River and he won't know where he stands in the hand. Shoving gives him a chance to win it right now, prices out the draws, and can still be called by the over played over cards for an even bigger pot.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree w/ Steveg, you have to shove on that flop. If any draws call they will be making a mistake but as we all know they may get lucky.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The clues;
1- villain raised big preflop suggests large pocket pair. In the end we are afraid of 99, TT, JJ only. It is really unlikely that villain had any holding which included a T other that TT. If villain is sitting AA, KK, QQ, in his mind he has an overpair, and is still strong.

2-Post flop when you made the correct attempt to take the pot down, villain called.

3-He only called your turn bet.

4-Once you showed him a fear of that straight, leaving him a golden pot if only he bets right, he was not foolish enough to check it back to your winning hand.

In hindsight this clearly looks like you should have jammed it on the river making him believe you held a Ten. As for you 'mistake about the turn 100 bet don't sweat that as it also looks like a trap.

Tough hand.