To call...?

Wardo420

Wardo420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 + $0.25 Sit & Go Table 1 - 20/40 - No Limit Hold'em - 17:50:46 ET - 2008/04/30
Seat 1: tucum (1,335)
Seat 2: RoSte8177 (1,280)
Seat 3: Wardo420 (4,360)
Seat 4: robbie31 (745)
Seat 6: fulltiltmoeeom2 (1,450)
Seat 7: roketino (1,500)
Seat 8: moikey65 (750)
Seat 9: CubaLibre3000 (2,080)
CubaLibre3000 posts the small blind of 20
tucum posts the big blind of 40
The button is in seat #8
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Wardo420 [Jd Qh]
RoSte8177 folds
Wardo420 raises to 120
robbie31 has 15 seconds left to act
robbie31 folds
fulltiltmoeeom2 folds
roketino folds
moikey65 calls 120
CubaLibre3000 folds
tucum calls 80
*** FLOP *** [4d 9d 4h]
tucum checks
Wardo420 checks
moikey65 checks
*** TURN *** [4d 9d 4h] [3c]
tucum bets 40
Wardo420 calls 40
moikey65 folds
*** RIVER *** [4d 9d 4h 3c] [Jc]
tucum checks
Wardo420 bets 200
tucum raises to 1,175, and is all in

Early into the game. Villain had only won one other hand previously, he opened raised like a grand UTG, got called by shortstack. He had 99, and it was only like the third or fourth hand. Would you call?... What would be your reasoning?.. Any comments are welcome and encouraged. Thanks.

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 8 players remaining, a big stack, and blinds of only 20/40 I'm folding this hand preflop from early position.

As for whether or not to call this here... if you saw him raise to 1000 with 99 it suggests he's not too hot. The bet of 40 on the turn is ridiculous, and the shove seems excessive for someone wanting value from their hand. That being said, the 99 raise and turn bet suggest he doesn't know what's doing.

Pot: 1835
To call: 975

So you're getting 2:1 on a call. I'd probably toss a coin here to decide, but i'd have an inkling i was beat.

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really understand your call on the turn, you have no draw and your only hope if to hit one of your 6 outs. His bet was incredibly weak so you should have either re raised and tried to take it down there or just folded. I'd probably end up calling because I refuse to believe donkeys ever have hands, he could have a stronger jack than you, or maybe been slowplaying a 4 but he could also have J10 or worse. You have a big stack anyway to I'd probably make the call.

Wardo420

Wardo420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CfPoker: I see what you mean with mucking the hand preflop from early position. Would limping may have been better than a raise at least?

SeanyJ: Good point. The min bet on the turn screamed he was weak. Probably should have raised.

Well I ended up folding. I just couldn't call that much, I half knew I was beat, and luckily for me he showed his AJ. So I guess I got away cheap. Thanks for the input.

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CfPoker: I see what you mean with mucking the hand preflop from early position. Would limping may have been better than a raise at least?

SeanyJ: Good point. The min bet on the turn screamed he was weak. Probably should have raised.

Well I ended up folding. I just couldn't call that much, I half knew I was beat, and luckily for me he showed his AJ. So I guess I got away cheap. Thanks for the input.

Would have been much worse. You really just want to toss it but raising is the much better option than limping. You have to be prepared to let it go though, which you didn't on the turn.

Why call the turn to toss the river when you hit one of the cards you wanted? Always think of what happens if you hit that card you are looking for before it comes.:)

You are very probably beat here to a slowplayed monster I feel.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Standard fold since you beat j,t and thats it

white_lytning

white_lytning

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm with melkor.

I would throw it away and be upset i throw another 200 at this, I got him on a suited A4, or a j9. The 40 bet could have been a scared 9 on the flop, or a minimum (weak means strong) bet of the 4.

The weird play is the check at the end. Its the one that confuses us and makes us want to call. I probably would have just checked behind and not opened the betting back up. But its the ***** play.

Lets pretend we are him, with either a J9 or A4. You raise preflop suggesting you are strong, then you check, call a small bet, and a high card comes out. The check here makes a little sense if he puts you on a big pair, or a big ace. If you have been aggressive and taking pots, (which I assume you have been, raising with Q,J) a check allows me to come over the top with a monster if you bet.

Is this player capable of making this play? Its a tough spot either way, With that kinda chip lead, and bad pot odds folding is a good play.