Busted late tourney.Open raise KQs from UTG.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yesterday i registered in the common cents tournament where you register for 0.77cents and there was like 1.5K up top. Wasnt expecting much,just registered late and wanted to have a laugh.

Field was 23,303 players.(In other words, Impossible to beat.)

8 hours later im like 20th out of 41 remaining players.

Busted out 41st.

Common cents

Heres the hand i busted with. What went wrong here?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 0.77 Tournament, 12,500/25,000 Blinds 3,125 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

Button (t465,252)
SB (t640,255)
BB (t1,314,635)
Hero (UTG) (t442,665)
UTG+1 (t1,100,442)
MP1 (t335,690)
MP2 (t1,457,090) 22/15/1.5 with 9.5% 3bet over 50 hands ( im interpreting his flat here as a small PP or aces to get tricky)not too sure though.
MP3 (t412,196)
CO (t1,410,458)

Hero's M: 6.75

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K
spade.gif
, Q
spade.gif

Hero raises to t53,000, 2 folds, MP2 calls t53,000, 4 folds, BB calls t28,000

Flop: (t199,625) Q
club.gif
, 9
diamond.gif
, Q
diamond.gif
(3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t50,000, MP2 calls t50,000, 1 fold

Turn: (t299,625) J
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, MP2 bets t133,000, Hero raises to t336,540 (All-In), MP2 calls t203,540

River: (t972,705) 4
heart.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t972,705

Results below:
Hero had K
spade.gif
, Q
spade.gif
(three of a kind, Queens).
MP2 had 8
spade.gif
, 10
spade.gif
(straight, Queen high).
Outcome: MP2 won t972,705

Reason i bet so small on the flop is because "dream spots "like this dont come around too often and i really want to get paid by any and all pocket pairs that are gonna float me here, FD's and stuff im usually ahead of and might see my small flop bet as weakness and would be happy to 3-bet JAM in this spot.

Was i supposed to be open jamming(pre)? Folding(pre)? Or is this fine? Opinions? Remember its late and everyones tightened up a lot cause the money is near.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im thinking if i bet 100K plus on flop that he might not have called his gutshot and i woulda ran deeper.

But on the other hand, if he doesnt even have a gutshot which in most cases he doesnt ,we lose out on alot of value buy betting big on these type of flops(which we crush). Cause they are unable to continue.

So whats the best line.

B

badalhoco345

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi vinylspiros!

UTG is not the better position to play despite of the hand!

In this case, I never did raise with KQ in that position in that tournament situation. If you want to win ships, maybe was a good move; if you want to win the tournament it was not the better move for sure.

Again in this case, you decide to bet: you should make a Higher raise to avoid what happens next. I really think that you did not play well this hand but other thing is even more true: the MP2 plays even worst then you and in the end he wins not with skill but with lot of luck!!!

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have gone bigger on the flop in the range of 80-100k because of the board wetness. Outside of that, you played this hand fine, just an unlucky result your opponent had T8 here and you missed your redraws.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
basically a cooler, but with trent, betting bigger on this flop also, it's a paired board sure, but it connects with a ton of hands that will call big bets with draws. never folding once the turn comes even though it's not the greatest card in the world for us, played it fine.

H

haystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you could have tried a bigger bet on the flop but you played it fine he just got lucky

beger80

beger80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel you played it well besides the flop sizing. Had you been opening UTG frequently? is this flop sizing standard for you? I would typically put 2/3 to 3/4 pot in on the draw heavy board. After the flop flat with the BB still to act what range did you put him on? I feel based on your sizing he could hold all his under pairs, all his 2 diamond hands, Ace diamond with a broadway card, and all two way straight draws. it is difficult to put him on a gutter draw with his preflop play. If your read was accurate I like the check jam on the turn. Variance just came up and slapped you in the face this time.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have shoved after the flop. There's potential flush and straight draws on the board. You let him hit his straight for only 50k of his remaining 1.4M chips. That was way too easy of a call for him. I don't have a problem slow-playing a hand like that early in a tournament, but when you're getting down to the final five tables, it's time to start putting on the pressure.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think with a little under 20bb's you don't necessarily need to be opening KQs UTG.

Yeah, I mean it's easy to say oh you should of bet the flop bigger and what not. I really do think at this stage in the tourney though you just have to play your hand face up, slow playing at this stage isn't worth the risk of somebody catching up, you're going to improve your stack considerably just by picking up all the blinds & antes. Unlucky bud!

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the Jack came on the turn I would of played very cautiously, check call would be better than a check shove, then if villian shoves to a blank on the river you know your more than likely beat making a hard fold.
With no flush draws on the turn and he bets so big you know your either up against a made straight or some kind of straight draw.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think KQsuited UTG is fine to open raise or fold or easy to fold to any resistance pre or post flop the problem is when you smash the flop and have great hand vs calls from hands like JT and get blindsided by a hand like the one you were facing. I am sure you are going to get some helpful suggestions here but I am in the just a cooler camp.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would have gone bigger on the flop in the range of 80-100k .

basically a cooler, but with trent, betting bigger on this flop also, it's a paired board sure, but it connects with a ton of hands that will call big bets with draws. never folding once the turn comes even though it's not the greatest card in the world for us, played it fine.

Also betting more on this flop... I'd think 2/5th for similiar reasons but also for deception (is villain thinking I'm c-betting 90k here with 'Q'... is this what I'd be betting with large % of hands that I'd be c-bettting in this spot after opening from UTG on an 18bb stack? Of course it is (at least I'd think it would be)).

then again... in that game are villains even thinking beyond Level1

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think opening KQs UTG at a 9 handed table is optional, but fine provided you think you have an edge over the other players in post flop skill. I think you probably do, and FWIW if I have a reasonably tight image I usually do choose open KQs UTG. maybe 65% of the time I open and 35% of the time I fold. KQo I generally fold UTG unless table is unusually nitty/terrible or if we are 7 handed or less it becomes playable again.

anyways....once you choose to play that hand and see that flop there is NEVER a point you should consider folding with your stack.

As to the flop bet: you should Cbet whatever your normal Cbet is. for me that is 50% on dry boards and 66% on wet boards. I don't know what is normal for you, but I doubt your normal Cbet is 25%. So if normal for you is 50%, 40% whatever make THAT bet. Don't fall into the trap of letting your hand strength determine your bet size. Also, with your stack size you should be happy to take down this pot at any point....don't get too greedy.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AFAIK you should only shove KQs regardless of position if you only got 10 or less bb.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have two options on pre, just shove or fold.

As played out, I would have shove likewise on flop because of those flush and straight draw potentials.

Overall, its just bad luck in our part. Who would suspect he has that hand?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AFAIK you should only shove KQs regardless of position if you only got 10 or less bb.

I would have two options on pre, just shove or fold.

As played out, I would have shove likewise on flop because of those flush and straight draw potentials.

Overall, its just bad luck in our part. Who would suspect he has that hand?

read the stack sizes again...... :rolleyes: