Blind Battle - AT suited in BB vs SB raiser

premierplayer

premierplayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am going to say he has two overcards and didn't hit anything.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think pushing with the blinds so low is bad, imo.

The check by the original raiser is pretty fishy too, raising to 4 BBs against BB then checking a paird flop, smells like a trap or a hand thats trying to represent strength by check raising.

But considering he waited until turn to check raise, when the pot got bigger, it makes me more suspicious he might have an overpair or more.

When he calls my flop bet after checking, and because that check is suspicious, i check behind on turn and keep the pot small.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm late into responding on this one, so from the beginning:

- Fold preflop. AT is no monster and the blinds are too small. There is the consideration of establishing an image of not giving up to blind steals for the future, in which case AT is fine for this purpose, but I don't usually give that aspect very much consideration. May be a leak in my tourney play.

- Lack of a c-bet is odd, especially as there are only two players involved and a chance BB may be just defending his blind with air. Bet 180-210; 90 is too small to determine anything. He's unlikely raising preflop holding a 3 or 33, unlikely to be holding TT since we know where 2 are but if he has, then the lack of c-bet might make sense. Maybe the 90 bet was intentionally small hoping to get check-raised and forced to throw the hand away cheaply?

- Hard to say if the call of the flop bet is scary or not because the bet was so small. I'm with joe; 300 into the pot.

- Check-raised, he's 360 chips in, leaving 925 chips. Need 300 more into a 1020 pot. Push/fold .... my weak/tight/survival side comes out and I fold anticipating a big PP.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here we go.

If I'm villain, I call preflop.

There's no reason to push. Taking the small pot isn't worth being up against AJ, AQ, AK, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99 etc, all of which are probably calling because the push screams weakness.

A reraise doesn't leave enough chips in my stack to work with and I'm happy to call with position after the flop and a hand that's capable of hitting. I'm already wary though and aware that this is a dangerous situation.

After the flop, the check either means you missed with any two or any pair or any Ace or have an overpair or set. Set is unlikely, I'm putting you on an overpair or complete miss with any two.

I bet 200-300 on the flop andhopefully I am good enough to fold to a reraise all in (this would likely be JJ, QQ, KK) even though it leaves me with a dented stack.

If called I'm reassessing on the turn and with the undercard I push. At this point the only hands beating me are AA and KK and KK is likely betting or checkraising the flop for fear of an ace hitting.

As played it's a fold on the turn and a kick in the ass for a dumb and pointless bet on the flop.

As played, I'm guessing you have either 77 or AA (80% AA) and he reraised all-in here. I really don't like his flop bet, it is a wasted opportunity to win the pot and/or find out what you have.

If I knew what you would do when faced with a 200 bet on the flop it would be easier to put you on a hand.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seat 1: mlsfitz (1285 in chips)
Seat 2: Bolts&Nuts (1020 in chips)
Seat 3: kkilson (1375 in chips)
Seat 4: JD Old Num 7 (2650 in chips)
Seat 5: MAAS-EMT (1285 in chips)
Seat 6: dekko (680 in chips)
Seat 7: Kingkeece (1990 in chips)
Seat 8: bigtimeitpro (1840 in chips)
Seat 9: dales045 (1375 in chips)
JD Old Num 7: posts small blind 15
MAAS-EMT: posts big blind 30

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to MAAS-EMT [Ad Td]
dekko: folds
Kingkeece: folds
bigtimeitpro: folds
dales045: folds
mlsfitz: folds
Bolts&Nuts: folds
kkilson: folds
JD Old Num 7: raises 90 to 120
MAAS-EMT: calls 90

*** FLOP *** [Ts 3h 3d]
JD Old Num 7: checks
MAAS-EMT: bets 90
JD Old Num 7: calls 90

*** TURN *** [Ts 3h 3d] 7♣
MAAS-EMT: bets 150
JD Old Num 7: raises 300 to 450
MAAS-EMT: calls 300

*** RIVER *** [Ts 3h 3d 7c] [8h]
JD Old Num 7: bets 660
MAAS-EMT: ??? [Note: I'll save you the math, MAAS-EMT has $625 left]

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played by him, which is badly. He has to call.

If you are bluffing, then

a) check-raise the flop. His weak bet presents a perfect opportunity.

b) as played on the turn, you could conceivably have AK, AQ and be looking to push him off, a tiny bit bigger reraise wouldn't hurt here.

c) the river bet is getting called too often to be worthwhile.

I still put you on AA and if so it's nicely played (except I think the river check-raise is overdoing it) as you've got him pot committed with a weak hand.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maas lost this hand to JJ or QQ, maybe(?) a set. At this point after calling the turn it'd be stupid to fold the river to an 8 (1980 pot).

I see what your whole point is here JD. The fact you've been playing tight and have had the goods at showdown and he still doesn't believe you have a big hand and trapped him. The way he played this he clearly believes he has the best hand, so either he hasn't been observing you or he's just a poor player.

Several things he did in this hand I didn't like, starting with the PF call and his weak flop bet. While these 2 may not be a big deal, the biggest mistake was calling the check/raise. He might be someone with very little experience, in which case he got fooled by the way you played it and eventually will learn both to be aware of these tricks and not to go broke with TP.

jayneseo

jayneseo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So what happened JD? I can't take the suspense any longer!!!!!

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry for the delay in this, I haven't been on a lot in the last day or so.

*** HOLE CARDS ***

*** FLOP *** [Ts 3h 3d]

*** RIVER *** [Ts 3h 3d 7c] 8♥
MAAS-EMT: calls 625 and is all-in

*** SHOW DOWN ***
JD Old Num 7: shows [his cards] to win the pot...

But before I go there, thanks to all of the input I received from everyone. I've gotten a fair bit of insight from it. So on to some questions I have (specific to this hand) while you still don't know my holding....

1. If I limp PF, do you raise in this situation? If so, how do you address a re-raise here?

2. If I lead this flop, do you automatically fold or does it look more like a c-bet that should be called with your holding or even raised?

2a. If I lead the flop and you raise it up, would you give credit to a reraise and fold it here?

3. Say I lead the flop and you just call, does a check on the non-threatening turn look weak? Or does it look strong and induce you to check behind me?

Let's leave it at that for now. Off to grill dinner, but back later (I hope).

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. If I limp PF, do you raise in this situation? If so, how do you address a re-raise here?

Absolutely, if you have a hand I want to find out here rather than hit the flop and not know where I am. If you fold I pick up a little pot but start to establish that I will respond to limping with a raise.

2. If I lead this flop, do you automatically fold or does it look more like a c-bet that should be called with your holding or even raised?

If you lead the flop I reraise (probably 3-bet) leaves me just enough to get away from it if you push.

2a. If I lead the flop and you raise it up, would you give credit to a reraise and fold it here?

Tricky. If you push then either you have an overpair a ten or think I am weak or are a complete donk with AK.

Assuming we have no reason to think each other are idiots then I fold on a good day. Tough though.

This is why I like to bet the flop here in your position a decent % of the time if I have an overpair, you pick up the pot a lot but you can generate action here and on later streets.

3. Say I lead the flop and you just call, does a check on the non-threatening turn look weak? Or does it look strong and induce you to check behind me?

Check would either look weak, or look like an attempt to look weak.

I would probably bet in response to a check on the flop, 2/3ish of pot, so I'm possibly committed at this point and may push. Any suggestion you are tricky then I look to check-call.

To be honest very difficult for the BB not to lose his stack here.

Y

young hova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I gotta agree with Chuck here, at these blinds there is really no way possible I reshove this raise, you'd be risking too much to gain to little. The most I would do preflop is call if I'm not doing that than I'm folding. Wouldn't reraise because he could come over the top than you waisted chips, and if he's deceptive he'll call and might have you in a world of hurt because your gonna have to continuation bet if he doesn't bet, and if he bets than your gonna have to raise.

ONLY if i know the player well will I reraise preflop and I would not reraise more than 350-360 so I can get away from the hand. But for the most part, it is POINTLESS at this blind level to be doing any reraising preflop without a real hand. The only reason I would call is because the hand is suited, if it was offsuit I definitely wouldn't call and wouldn't think twice.

I wouldve checked the flop though, your pretty much guaranteeing action with a bet on that flop, no matter how you've been playing, he really has no reason to believe you hit any part of a 10 3 3 flop even though you did. So I'd check to get the camoflauge hand effect. Still if he's got a pocket pair your hand is marginal so I like to try to get this hand called down as cheaply as possible so I can see if my hand is good. I definitely wouldnt bet the flop, if he checked it in this situation, just because I don't want to get a lot of money involved with this hand when he's got me covered, this early.

I'd look for him to bet on the turn, if its small I'll 3 bet it, if its decent sized I might double bet it, and anything else I'll just call unless its an outrageous bet. I do this because I have position on him, because if he doesn't have a hand he is confident in on 5th street he has to act first knowing that I can raise whatever he bets. You might get a check and than I would check right behind him on 5th street just because I'm not sure what he would raise with in the sb so I'd rather check here than bet and possibly scare him off never knowing what he had or get reraised and than I might have to fold. You could always just call the turn and try to call as cheaply as possible because he won't know your strength, but I check raise often just hoping to induce a check on the next street when I got position. If he leads out on the next street than most likely your beat.

Still and all, you shouldnt be battling with like this at these blinds with a10 to a raise like that. If your gonna battle control the potsize to make it small using your position, because you have no read on SB. In this case you shouldve checked on the turn since you bet on the flop, no need to worry about being weak because its a good chance you are beat here anyway. Checking on the turn basically forces him to bet his hand because you might check behind him on the river too if he doesn't, so when he does this you get to determine what size bet you will call. If he fires anything outrageous you can fold and if he has a hand he'll probably value bet it, you'll call and lose, BUT YOUR LOSS WILL BE SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER. In the event checks on the river I would check right behind him more times than not, because you still don't really have a read on how he plays and if you get reraised you basically commited to call any 3 bet reraise cus of the pot odds but you'll be basically guaranteed to lose.

ALSO, play it to get a showdown, because I think seeing what he has here is more important for the future than trying to win a big hand here.

Last edited:
Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So then JD, what you have?

Inquiring (or possibly enquiring) minds want to know :)

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, here is the end. Hopefully not too anti-climatic. And thanks to those that have put up with some of my delayed responses and stuck with me. I appreciate the input.

*** HOLE CARDS ***

*** FLOP *** [Ts 3h 3d]

*** RIVER *** [Ts 3h 3d 7c] 8♥
MAAS-EMT: calls 625 and is all-in

*** SHOW DOWN ***
JD Old Num 7: shows [3c As] (three of a kind, Threes)
MAAS-EMT: shows [Ad Td] (two pair, Tens and Threes)
JD Old Num 7 collected 2570 from pot

*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2570 | Rake 0
Board [Ts 3h 3d 7c 8h]
Seat 1: mlsfitz folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Bolts&Nuts folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: kkilson (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: JD Old Num 7 (small blind) showed [3c As] and won (2570) with three of a kind, Threes
Seat 5: MAAS-EMT (big blind) showed [Ad Td] and lost with two pair, Tens and Threes
Seat 6: dekko folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Kingkeece folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: bigtimeitpro folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: dales045 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

So, yes, I raised from the SB with A3 offsuit with the blinds small. I was a decent chip leader for so early a time yet and had been able to bully what I saw as a fairly passive table. I also knew that I could get away from this PF if I had to (though the flop was absolutely the best I could have hoped for). Add to that the benefit of showing down the best hand the four times I was challenged before this (I checked PT and my OP of 1-2 times was off a bit, sorry bad recall OMP).

I also considered where I was at. Table folded around to me. I recall the BB's PT stats were great for me too. Something out there like 60/1/oo. I didn't share his PT stats earlier because I didn't want to give away any reads/insights from my perspective.

He loved to limp often and was very open to releasing his blinds in the face of aggression. So instead of folding Arag to him or limping and risking being out flopped, I guessed that I probably win the pot against him 80%+ of the time anyway with a PF raise. If he called, I figured it would all be dependent on the flop anyway, but a reraise from him (which would be totally out of character for the most part) would deserve some credit and I would have tossed it while maintaining my overall chip lead.

I'm also going to come back to some of the other comments and the post action questions I had, but for now I wanted to end the unintended suspense of my delayed responses.

alexanderwoo1

alexanderwoo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have to call this because you are so pot-commited to the pot. He either is firing big with a big bluff or pocket pair.

Wow just a bad beat. I think would have shoved pre-flop against him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have to call this because you are so pot-commited to the pot. He either is firing big with a big bluff or pocket pair.

Wow just a bad beat. I think would have shoved pre-flop against him.
Bad beat? Uh, where?

And remember, the point on this thread was not what I should do, I know what I was doing and did. I was the unknown here and was looking for input/perspective from people based on y'all knowing the villian's cards and what you were seeing coming from me.

So are you saying that when I raised PF to 120, you would have pushed all in to protect your 30 BB based on figuring I'm either bluffing or I'm not ("He either is firing big with a big bluff or pocket pair.")?

H

haystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well from the start i would have re raised him pre-flop you probly would have won their then two pair on the flop i would have went all in get your money in first you win win 87% of the time pretty good odds.:)

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nicely played. I think you extracted maximum value from that to be honest JD.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Question for Irexes and JD:

Disregarding his PT stats, if either of you are in his spot, do you lose all your stack too?

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, not if I can get away from it PF like I believe I can.

Now if I'm the BB there and the SB limps, then I'm inclined to raise with AT like 75% of the time and check the rest. It's a good holding against a random SB hand.

Facing the raise as is, I can toss it easily as it was unsoooted. If it was suited I might think a couple extra seconds. For 3xBB I'd call with AT sooted, for 4xBB I fold. How's that for specific. :)

I'm not sure about the flop though. Lot's of scenarios there, obv. I probably go broke on half of them once we see the flop.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
K, thanks JD.

With that holding and that flop I would have had a tough time not losing my chips. I probably have more of them in faster than he did so I wanted to check to see if I'm off base.

Y

young hova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just realized everything is from the villain's point, lol. I feel like an idiot...oh well, gh

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got here late, but I just wanted to point out, as I hope has been pointed out a number of times: if you're folding this pre-flop, you're playing ridiculously too tight and throwing away value. It's a blind vs. blind situation. ATs becomes the equivalent of like AQ or AK. We're well ahead of opponent's range and we have position. Folding here is taking the "tight is right" mantra too far, i.e. Dan Harrington wouldn't even dream of folding here. 'nuff said