Big Hand in MTT

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A massive hand for me in an MTT tonight, the guy who re raised all in had done the same with AK twice already, and also once with AJ, You can see how he got all those chips :)

Anyway fold or call ?
Stage #879403202 Tourney ID 1876879 Holdem Multi Normal Tournament No Limit $6000 - 2007-08-31 19:18:30 (ET)
Table: 37 (real money) Seat #8 is the dealer
Seat 1 - NORMSTAR ($99146.50 in chips)
Seat 2 - NEWBIETXSHLD ($51996 in chips)
Seat 4 - _ROCK_ ($53760 in chips)
Seat 7 - VEDDER1980 ($71757.50 in chips)
Seat 8 - STREETENDER ($183840 in chips)
NORMSTAR - Ante $300
NEWBIETXSHLD - Ante $300
_ROCK_ - Ante $300
VEDDER1980 - Ante $300
STREETENDER - Ante $300
NORMSTAR - Posts small blind $3000
NEWBIETXSHLD - Posts big blind $6000
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to STREETENDER [9d 9c]
_ROCK_ - Folds
VEDDER1980 - Folds
STREETENDER - Raises $18000 to $18000
NORMSTAR - All-In(Raise) $95846.50 to $98846.50
NEWBIETXSHLD - Folds
STREETENDER -?

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With that chip stack and a chance to put that player out, who obviously is a pimple on your butt from your comments, I would risk it. :icon_porc

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty standard fold for me here unless you've been unusually loose (in which case villain's pushing range is much wider).

You're rarely a big favorite here. I guess occasionally he'll do this with like 7s or 8s, but not enough for a call here.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty standard fold for me here unless you've been unusually loose (in which case villain's pushing range is much wider).

You're rarely a big favorite here. I guess occasionally he'll do this with like 7s or 8s, but not enough for a call here.

2nd this.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
99 against against a thief in the SB. He has already set the stage and has taken position away from you. He has demonstrated a range that can beat you here, he may need a card, but his AK,AJ range makes it close to a coin flip.

Personally I fold to that raise, but I'm on a streak approaching biblical proportions.

My thinking would go like this;

-I made a play at this pot with a hand that deserves to be played against most hands.

-I've been reraised by a player who has done this before with big hands, but not paired big hands.

-It is too much to pay to see the flop.

Fold.

I would only consider one set of odds here, and that would be the odds that this guy has yet another big hand, perhaps unpaired as of yet, but I would need a set to feel comfortable here, and it is too expensive to see the flop. I may be ahead at this point, maybe even way ahead if the guy would be playing a small pp, but he has not demonstrated that. The 99 is so beatable, that they belong in the muck at this point.

This looks to be a final table situation, and in this case it also appears to be a huge pot at the end of the rainbow. Position in the standings at this point mean a whole hellofa lot.

I'll wait it out.

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
STREETENDER - Folds
NORMSTAR - returned ($80846.50) : not called
*** SHOW DOWN ***
NORMSTAR - Does not show
NORMSTAR Collects $43500 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total Pot($43500)
Seat 1: NORMSTAR (small blind) collected Total ($43500) All-In
Seat 2: NEWBIETXSHLD (big blind) Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 4: _ROCK_ Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 7: VEDDER1980 Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 8: STREETENDER (dealer) Folded on the POCKET CARDS

Took my full amount of time thinking about this one, decided to fold, and wait for a better spot. He showed AK. Still think I made the right decision

He did the same move 3 times after this, I folded AQ twice, and once was A8 suited.

Got him in the end though, down to three players, he did a min raise with AA, i called with 87 and flopped a straight :D He gave me some right abuse in the chat box !

Out of interest, how do you deal with someone who moves his chips in like this all the time, it became really irritating to say the least. He even had the cheek to say stop stealing! Guess i found the right spot this time, but how long before you make a stand against someone like this ?

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Out of interest, how do you deal with someone who moves his chips in like this all the time, it became really irritating to say the least. He even had the cheek to say stop stealing! Guess i found the right spot this time, but how long before you make a stand against someone like this ?

It is hard to deal with and it requires a lot of discipline. Depending on the stage of the tourney and stack sizes I deal with it differently.

In the situation you were in, with a nice chip lead and 10.5k in the pot at every hand, I'm a little less inclined to call him without a prime hand. Its down to 5 players and you have accumulated enough to the point where small pot is the way to go, rather than calling off a huge chunk of your stack. That's not to say this strategy will take you to HU every time, but it sure gives you a better chance than putting 60% of your stack in coinflips. Folding those 9's was the correct play IMO, given the situation you were in. As for when, in this scenario, to make a stand, I'd avoid it as much as I possibly can. But of course, if he's doing it twice every orbit and taking your raises in the process, as some point you'll have to. Every now and then I'll shove first though, putting the ball in his court so now he has to make the decision.

If I'm in the mid-stages of an MTT, where I need to accumulate in order to make a run to finish deep, against such a player I will certainly open up and take my chances. You need to accumulate chips therefore you can't afford getting restealed every time, unless you really were on a steal raising with a marginal hand. But when you have a legit hand (like 99) I'll make the call vs a loose player who has a little over half my stack (like in this case) and take my chances.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

seriously, everyone? it's 5 handed and we're big stack, open raised on the button. assuming we've shown near as much aggression as we should as the big stack bully, i think this is a pretty standard call and it would take reads for me to do otherwise.

pocket 9s in this situation is practically premium and ridiculously far ahead of the range he has us on. we're getting about 1.5:1 meaning we have to win 40% of the time for it to be +chip ev. giving him even a remotely appropriate range, we're a favorite against it

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess occasionally he'll do this with like 7s or 8s, but not enough for a call here.

p.s., I don't get this at all. If by occasionally you mean every single time? What are you going to do with 66-88 here if you're villain? Fold?! Call? Those are both awful. The button open-raised, villain has 16 BBs and a perfect stack to shove and have fold equity against the buttons gigantic opening range (which 99 is very ahead of). It's pretty easily +EV for villain to shove 22 here unless button is a big stack nit. I just don't think you guys are looking at it from the other palyer's perspective

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sort of see where you are coming from, I was pretty sure I was ahead, but not that far, don't forget he wasn't in a bad situation himself, what kind of hand would you re raise all in for your tournament life at that stage ?

Bear in mind the pay out at that stage was about $36. I would say AK is the minimum, then anything from JJ. I guessed his hand exactly, although ovbiously you can never be sure

99 isn't that far in front of AK, to risk all those chips, I stayed in the tournament, and picked a better spot in the end to finish 2nd.

Not saying anyone is wrong, I agree with the post further up, earlier on in the tourney I risked it. Called an all in with jj twice and won both times, but I gotta be honest I think I may even have folded JJ in the same spot as the 99

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands