Best to play this hand

theskillzdatklls

theskillzdatklls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello-

I had an interesting hand earlier today. I'm wondering how people would approach this situation:

500 person tourny, with ~80 remaining, money starts around 60. I'm in about 20th place, second biggest at the table. Blinds at 200/400. It's folded around to me in middle position and I have AcKc , i raise to to 1200, it folds around to BB (larger stack at the table), he calls. Flop comes down, Ks, 10c, 8c. BB checked to me, I raised to 1200, he re-raised to 3200. (my stack started at ~7500).

What's the best way to play from here.

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would most definitely shove. You might already have the best and and even if he has you beat you have tons of outs. I'm pretty sure even if he has trips you have a 30% chance to win.

R

ross1shark

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Like most cases; it depends!

It depends on "enemy" and who he/she is as a player type. With a really savvy enemy, you may want to proceed cautiously from this point, as you could be up against AA, a set, or some other trap. Against a weaker player, or someone who has been a big-bet psycho the bigger part of the time - ram n' jam your hand, as it is likely the best. An all-in at this point wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea, as the looser player will in all likelihood call, giving you the nuts.

theskillzdatklls

theskillzdatklls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I ended up shoving, hesitantly (because I was so close to the money), all in because I figured I had 16 outs (9+3+3+1) and a strong hand to begin with.

He ended up having K 10 two-paring himself. The turn/river did not hit.

I simply asked out of curiosity, I have never put a dime on pokerstars (and never will). I started out earning 80 cents on a weekly round two, turned it into 80 bucks, nearly lost it all, but i'm at $30 now. Either way, I seem to do well in $1-$5 18 person SnGs, but in tournaments I always find myself failing. I figure I might as well ask for suggestions on the losing hands like this one!

MrDaMan

MrDaMan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know how many chips you have relative to the raises, short stacked and pot committed it's a shove. If you have more than 10 BB's in chips still, I like to smooth call the re-raise, feign weakness and if I hit on the turn, let my opponent hang himself.

If you don't hit you can check, or bet to see what your opponent will do, a reasonable bet might get a call rather than a re-raise giving you another shot at the nut flush or ace for top two pair. If he bets too heavy on the turn, or river without you hitting your flush or two pair, fold and pick another opportunity. Top pair probably isn't any good, ofcourse table image and opponents style means a lot, there's a lot of variables to consider.

But that's the normal way I play that hand under your scenario.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands