Begin of the final table

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

last night i played a MTT (about 55 people), 10 people get paid. I'm in the final table with about 10K chips (3rd overall). The chipleader is at about 25K and is playing very aggresive, limping and raising a lot of pots. Blinds are at 300/600.

I'm at the SM with AQo, and the chipleader raises from middle/late position to 3 times the BB. I come over the top with 5000 chips, which he calls. I reased because I know he often made plays like that with reasonably crappy cards.

Flop comes 2d/ 6c/ 7c. I'm thinking this flop wouldn't have helped him, because I've seen him raise like that with high cards, middle suited connecters and low pairs, so I push all in for my remaining 4500 chips. He quickly call, and turns over Ac / 8c. Of course the board gives 2 more clubs and I'm out.

I'm really wondering if the two moves I made were the right one or that I made a big mistake (raising pre-flop and on the flop). Thanks for your imput :D

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't seem to edit, but I wanted to add that if he would have had a pocket pair, I think he would have gone allin pre-flop, that's why i thought the flop didn't help him

FlopDeezNutz

FlopDeezNutz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your preflop play was a little too aggressive with AQ off. I would have smooth called and hoped to hit a good flop. It's much easier to get off of your missed flop with only investing the standard raise.
Post flop, you would have been better check/folding to any reasonable bet on the flop. If he has been playing aggressively with a variety of hands, he could have easily been holding top pair and be ahead in the hand at this point. I wouldn't risk my entire tournament on a missed flop.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your play was fine; he did pick up a lot of outs on the flop and you were actually only a coinflip against him, but against his range you're way ahead and I get my money in the same way nearly every time.

Leave the results out next time you post a hand so that any responses you get aren't influenced by the outcome.

Your preflop play was a little too aggressive with AQ off. I would have smooth called and hoped to hit a good flop. It's much easier to get off of your missed flop with only investing the standard raise.
Post flop, you would have been better check/folding to any reasonable bet on the flop. If he has been playing aggressively with a variety of hands, he could have easily been holding top pair and be ahead in the hand at this point. I wouldn't risk my entire tournament on a missed flop.

I know I've argued with you in previous post, and I'm sorry to pick on you again, but tbh I just don't agree with you :)

So your approach to a super LAG player is to smooth call hands preflop that are way ahead of his range? This is exactly what villain wants and you're just giving in to his aggression. He's most probably raising with some really marginal hands (see A8) and wants to see cheap flops and push you out with postflop aggression. Our AQ is way ahead of his range, and had we been stacked a little shorter I'd be pushing.

As for check-folding postflop after raising half your stack preflop, well that's just ridiculous. I get the other half of my stack in postflop on just about any flop every time here.

FlopDeezNutz

FlopDeezNutz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chuck. I understand the reason for wanting to be aggressive in this situation with this hand. At the same time, I am not understanding why you would not want to raise all in preflop to try and protect your hand in the event that you missed the flop and your opponent got a piece of it.
I can see going all in here, but I cannot see putting all my chips at risk on a hand that completely missed the flop. I guess this is why I said that I would have check/folded. Yes, villian is aggressive, but he is also hitting hands otherwise he wouldn't be the chip leader. You have to give him at least some credit for holding a hand.
In hindsight, I can see playing this hand, but the preflop play was poor. He should have either smooth called to make it an easy fold on a missed flop, or pushed all in pre-flop to try and force out marginal hands.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with flopdeez. I think preflop was terrible.

What was your goal in raising him 5,000?

To get him to fold? Well youre committing yourself with 5000 anyway, so better to raise all-in to increase your fold equity.

If youre looking for a call with the 5000 bet, then AQ simply isnt that strong of a hand to be looking for a call to that bet with those stacks.

Preflop he has to call 3200 into a what, 7000-something pot.

So its just about the right odds he needs with A8 against AQ or even against JJ.

Id say it was a fold, call or push situation. Raising preflop to 5,000 serves no purpose.

Youre 3rd in chips so you have 2 decide if you want to risk your tournament on AQ and push.

Calling leaves you oop against someone with a very wide range of hands. So youd pretty much have 2 hit top pair to know where you stand.

Folding preflop isnt bad either.

I think personnally id have called preflop.

As for postflop, well you have no choice now....You have 2 push.

Last edited: