Bad Luck? or Bad Play?

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never make bad plays I am top notch player. The problem is 99% of the time I have bad luck and lose

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I couldn't agree more. lol

tobychef

tobychef

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Two tournaments playing simultaneously and two hands 2 minutes apart, ugh

I’d say the first one was unlucky
The second one 🧐 easy not to fall in love with aces 😂😂

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
next time go Allin with 72o, you will win for sure. Math is an idiot....

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I never make bad plays I am top notch player. The problem is 99% of the time I have bad luck and lose
I will take your remark as snark but I find it amazing. how many people think that very thing. The biggest impediment to changing ones bad luck is no desire to learn to play better.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Bad luck on one and bad play on another. Being in a community pot with 3 other players on a connected board and still getting it in anyway.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. hand unlucky, happends

2. is hard to get out of but shove on the flop ;)

Why dont renech2 get you stack ? as renech2 have you covered ?
You dont lose much, so your unlucky, but maybe you should raise more on a flop that is so connected with that many players in the hand.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
First one unlucky.
Second one .Pre you are wanting 3 streets of static value.
Flop, the board becomes dynamic. Possible ranges, pairs two pairs sets and SDs.
It is a family pot so lots of possibilities.
You play your aces for value and protection, the draw gets there. That is poker.

G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An exceptional failure. Sometimes there are failures.

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The truth is that seeing both hands, I would have lost too, and I would have been angry too.
I think that when you tie a pair of K and raise x 3 or 4, you risk an Ace coming out for example, you are prepared for that, you are prepared for us to be beaten with a trio of cards smaller than your hand pair, I think that's where your frustration from the first hand is.
In the second hand, that of the pair of Aces, I think it's bad luck.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Even the best of us have bad sessions. But most low-stakes players sometimes make terrible moves that make their losses by bad luck worse. They just don't play well. No Limit Hold'em is a simple game. You have very strong hands; not bad, but vulnerable hands and worthless hands. With very strong hands, you should put a lot of money into the pot; with good, but vulnerable hands, medium amounts should be put into the pot, and with worthless hands, very little or nothing at all.

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I guess that's a thing you must to plan on preflop. If the hand turn hard and danger would I fold??

If you have the possibility to fold, you must to bet less. If you don't, your play was correct.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

I am far from a great player but Here are my thoughts on this. Was it bad luck, yes was there bad play? I dont think bad but think there was an error on one.

Hand 1 with the aces. Love your preflop play but once you called by 3 players we need to be careful. QJ9 flop is not one we want to see in the 3 bet pot called by 3. Your 40BB deep and the largest of the stacks left are about 18BB. Once checked to you I think checking would have been the better play. There are just so many hands here that are going to call or jam on you and worse you could be already nearly drawing dead. Straights, Sets 2 pairs and pairs with draws galore on this flop. Yes you were good but were you really happy with what you saw? Yes you had 57% equity but this was a dangerous flop. I think I would have checked behind to see what the turn was. With that 8 you would have seen the jam and probably call with top pair and gunshot and you could have gotten away from it.

The kings hand. You were unlucky here and i cant blame you for how it went but wonder if I could have gotten away fro it. You 3 bet once called has me concerned. I have history on the player. There are not a lot of hand I would put him on here. Then on a flop of QT2ss he goes all in. What were you beating he would play like this? AA QQ TT are all in the range I think he could call you 4 bet with. That 63BB jam was concerning for me. Now could I have gotten away from this one? I dont know if I could but that was the 1st thing I though of on this flop from him.

Last edited:
rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1st hand is a cooler. you could just 3 bet or shove preflop but villain would have either shove or call your all in and and the result would have been the same. ( queens are very hard to fold preflop specially with less than 100 bb)

2nd hand. i would have shoved because even though aces are a very strong preflop hand, they lose lots of equity against 3 other players so i think its better to isolate and only face 1 or maybe 2 villains but not the 3 of them. you were still unlucky to lose with the aces in that spot.

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First one bad luck, I'd say.
Second a bit risky to play against 3 others. I would play AA only against 2 opponents.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KK hand

Preflop
I like 4-betting, but your sizing is very large. The problem with that is, if you are going to fold to a 5-bet jam, you just lost 1/3 of your stack, and that makes it very unattractive to work in 4-bet bluffs. This dont really matter in a freeroll, because you should only be 4-betting for value, but if you eventually move up and play against better opponents, then you want to 4-bet smaller with 100BB stacks. Which by the way is super relevant for cash games.

Flop
The SPR is less than 1, and you just cant fold to this donk bet. Yes he could have QQ or TT and just flopped a set, but he could also just be running a stop and go with AK or a flushdraw or whatever. The hand is just a set-up, because its also difficult for him to get away from QQ in a freeroll, especially if he dont know you.

AA hand

Preflop
Standard 3-bet and perfect sizing.

Flop
Once again the SPR is less than 1, and even though its a connected board against multible opponents, you just cannot fold AA here. I also dont think, there is any value in letting cards roll off, so I would just jam, and then come, what may. I dont think, the board is quite as bad, as it might look, because in a 3-bet pot they really should not have KTo or QJo. So the hands, that really binked, are only KTs and QJs, which is only 6 combos. Yes they can have all the sets as well, but they can also have TT, which is 6 combos, and AQ, which is another 6 combos, or AK which is 8 combos and might call because "LOL gutshot and overs". And you need less than 30% equity to make a profitable stack-off. So it just is, what it is, and this time you were in fact ahead but got drawn out on. Good for them, time to register for the next SnG.

S

sergiomatri

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

it's very difficult to fold a pair of kings, but depending on the buy-in you're playing, you can fold this KK. However, bad beat is part of it, let's move on to the next one!

Mogulkahn

Mogulkahn

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

1- situation with KK flop call its ok, and on the turn u will be play check/fold its optimal im think. But its just a bad beat, never mind men.
2- with AA on that dangerous flop we could - check\call but when 2 oponents will gonna all in, for example I would fold.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1- situation with KK flop call its ok, and on the turn u will be play check/fold its optimal im think. But its just a bad beat, never mind men.
2- with AA on that dangerous flop we could - check\call but when 2 oponents will gonna all in, for example I would fold.
you won't believe it, I wanted to write exactly the same thing, you were ahead of me:)

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You never make bad plays? I would probably have raised all-in with the aces. The problem with aces is when you lose, you lose big. With so many players in the hand you should have check folded that terrible flop. You were almost certainly beaten at that point.