Chips
Ante 25 SB 150 BB 300
4 players left.

Button calls 300. (stack size 5885)
ME completes 150 (stack size 2095)
BB checks. (stack size 3990)

3 to the flop, 7h 4d 9d.

I check.

BB is an aggressive player, pushed me all-in nearly every hand. But this time he just checks.

Button raises to 300.

I feel I'm ahead, raise 600 to 900. I put him on higher cards, or a draw.

BB folds.

Button calls. Now I'm pretty sure I'm ahead.

Turn card is a 7c. Now I really don't want him to hit his draw. There's a diamond draw, a possible straight draw, and the possibility of overcards.

I push all-in, shoving the remaining 1045 chips of my stack into the pot of 2800.

He hesitates yet calls, flips over A7s (spades), triples. Hm, why the hesitation?

Was I unlucky? Badly played? Should I have bet smaller or checked it down to the river?

I'm leaning towards bad luck, but I want your opinion.

It was a SNG 10 players, 3rd place paid, I was eliminated out of the money.

Last edited:
A

aussieinar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
All I can add is where are you playing that they have 2 x 7c in play?

A

aussieinar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait, you meant turn 7d, anyway, hesitation could have been wondering if you had 99, 44, d draw, st draw, overpair, or just a 9 and may hit another, the phone could have rang, someone at the door who knows. Ultimately, its a bet they were going to call, but they had to wonder what you had, and being so close to the money of the tournament, didn't want to possibly lose half their stack without at least mulling it over. But then again they called the first raise ... who knows ... if I knew what poker players were thinking all the time, I would be on an island somewhere.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe I am just blind, but I have no clue what you have. What is your hole cards?

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm assuming you had a 9? Q 9 or King 9? So button bet 300 so pot is 1200. You raise to 900 so pot is 2100 and it costs him 600 to call so he's getting 3.5:1 and he's an 8:1 dog for the turn, so you played it fine he made the mistake here.

A

altruist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait, you meant turn 7d, anyway, hesitation could have been wondering if you had 99, 44, d draw, st draw, overpair, or just a 9 and may hit another, the phone could have rang, someone at the door who knows. Ultimately, its a bet they were going to call, but they had to wonder what you had, and being so close to the money of the tournament, didn't want to possibly lose half their stack without at least mulling it over. But then again they called the first raise ... who knows ... if I knew what poker players were thinking all the time, I would be on an island somewhere.

Actually I meant 7c, which makes me wonder why he was hesitating so long. But you have a point, it was very close to the money.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually I meant 7c, which makes me wonder why he was hesitating so long. But you have a point, it was very close to the money.

What was your hand? We cannot give much feedback if we don't even know your hole cards for the hand.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^^Without knowing your hole cards, you'll get incomplete answers like this^^^^.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought I was the only one. I have no idea what you had either.

But anyway, when you have a player that is pushing you all in almost everyhand and then suddenly starts check/calling there should be big alarm bells ringing in your head. Without even knowing your cards, when you said villan check/called I knew you were beat.

A

altruist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a pair of 9s from the flop, weak kicker, I was beaten on the turn. My question is, should I have bet my 9 more aggressively?

killerrat

killerrat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing like betting into a trap, but first things first. Your agressive player limps and it was his BB to defend? probably A? k?. You are in the small blind. A very suspeciouse completion.. Button in for the look.
flop comes. You try to steal with check raise? now come on That stinks for two reasons. You are on a bluff, and you are not respected at the table for maybe your prior play was very marginable at best. I look at it like this. The bet by the button would have gotten the BB to fold, leaving you and them to fight it out. When he called your reraise you knew you where behind. So I see you donating this entire hand.
Sorry about how you played this and what a missread.
Practice and patience.