B

Bozza

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys,

Is there a way to play this diffently?

Yesterday I was playing on a freeroll (200 peepz, first 3 get $50, $30 & $20). I wanted to play a fun tourney and a friend of mine also participated so it was fun.

Till only 10 peepz were left and I began with KK. Blinds were 200/400. I was the first to act and raised to 1000. Two peepz called and the one on the SB did all in. I knew he must have something otherwise he wouldn't do all in while 2 peepz allready called my (big) raise. I also knew that I needed to win a big pot otherwise I wouldn't last too long with my current stack. I called and the other two folded. The cards went open and I laughed coz I saw that he had 10J. Well, I think you guys can guess it, he won with a straight on the river and kicked me out of the tourney. I know that this bad beats can happen in freerolls so I didn't make a big deal of it.

Today I wanted to play another tourney. With the bad beat of yesterday still in the back of my head I decided to enter a $10 buy-in tourney with no re-buys or addons.

When the big moment arrived the blinds were 50/100. 25 players left and the first 5 get money and the first 9 qualify for a $1,000 tourney. Everyone begins with 1500 and at this moment I had 2000. I knew that I had to play with some risk to gain some chips. The next hand I got AA. I was the second to act and the first one folded. I raised to 400 and got a call from 3 peepz.

The flop came and showed: 10h Jc 2h

I was the first to act and to avoid a straight I putted in 600 chips. One called, one folded and the third one went all in. Well, what could I do, I thought that maybe he had JA, so I went all in. The other dude folded.

He showed me his cards and it was Kh 9h. I know I'm a person who is born to get bad beats but I prayed to Jesus that for once I wanted to win with the best hand. But nope, the turn was allready a 5 of hearts. I was really in a state of mind to just pick up my pc and throw it out the window.

I just don't know anymore, I always get kicked out of the tournaments with bad beats. Or should I have folded both times with those hands and flops?

Please let me know if I did anything wrong or if you guys would have done it differently. I just don't know it anymore, in freerolls I can understand why people go all in with a draw and hope to get it. But I hoped that in a $10 buy-in peepz would care more about the money which the payed to enter...

Greetings,

Bozza

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Played em by the book - just every day, run of the mill bad breaks. Believe me, play for a while and you'll see a HELL of a lot worse!

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, both pretty standard, nothing wrong with your play.

B

Bozza

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok thanks guys, too bad tho that this happends to me with allmost every tourney I play :s

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't think of how you could have let them go or played them differently.

The first one, all i can say is that when the guy went all in he was trying to take the pot right there and just got lucky. He was hoping you made a play with AQ or something and the show of strength could get you to lay it down. When you called he was probably sick.

You know the guy that would push like that was on a draw to stomp whatever pairs he thought you had.

Just sucks when you get outdrawn twice like that back to back.

B

baudib

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I really hate flushes. They always seem to ruin my good hands and I get people chasing against horrid odds. And I never seem to get them myself -- I overplay Axs all the time! lol

A

adsj92

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with baudib about the Axs. They seem like good hands but I never get anything with them. I also hate flushes. It seems more often than not, I'll have 2 pocket cards of the same suit, 2 more of that suit come on the flop, and then nothing else.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
How 'bout this one:

Playing in a SNG. Had suffered a bad beat previously in the game to bring my chip stack down (can't remember the situation on that one as it was eclipsed by this next beat). So I needed to make a play to get some chips back. I should mention that it was down to the final two.

Got AQ and decided to push all in to see if I could double up. As the other guy was BB, and they were high, and my all-in wasn't much more than the BB, he pretty much had to call with pot odds in his favor.

Imagine my joy when he turns over 8/4os. Imagine my euphoria when the flop comes 4, A, Q! Then imagine my horror and complete and utter disbelief when the turn comes 4, and the river? Yep--8. Full House. I'm done, and could not believe it!

Now I remember--this came after having pocket As, getting my substantial raise called w/ AJ, and dude getting straight on river after I got my trip As on the flop. Was not my day that day.

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, you played the hands right...this thread can now be deleted due to bad beat stories all over the place.

Pocket Aces and Kings DO NOT WIN EVERY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Wasn't a question of whether the hands were played right or not. Just commiserating over bad beats and that feeling of getting the wind sucked out of you for a few moments after. Of course pAAs and pKKs don't win everytime! Just sucks win they lose. :(

J

JonSherwood

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to point out something you said in your first post, if you're a good solid player the only way you should be exiting a tourney is via a bad beat. ;) So feel proud about that, but bad beats DO happen. Kinda stinks, but oh well.

Jon

dinosdynasty

dinosdynasty

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1st off, stop with the peepz, I hate that.

2nd, I feel your pain, you played both hands right and lost, happens WAY too often. Do bad beats not happen in TV tournaments or do they just not show them?

I was playing against one guy who was playing way too fast and I was sitting in the reeds waiting to trap him which I did and then he hit runner/runner not once but twice after I reloaded. I copied down his name and went searching for him after I cooled down ( 3 days later, lol). I don't think he remembered me as most donks don't care and I trapped him again with what I thought was the nuts except for you guessed it, runner/runner. I will get my revenge someday. Sorry to hijack your thread.

R

redo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel your pain. Without knowing how much he went all in with the only flaw I can see in your approach is if you were trying to knock out drawing hands against your AA You should have bet more then $600. After your bet and call by the other player there was $2950 in the pot with 2 cards to come. He had 9 outs to the flush and 3 to the gut shot. So he has 2:1 drawing odds with about 5:1 pot odds. Why he went all in who knows, but he still had good enough pot odds to at least call.

S

senadiel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the first one, with the kings, i probably would've raised a bit more preflop. you did 2.5x the bb, which is decent (and i'm not sure how much you had left in your stack in the first place), but i would have probably gone 4 or 5x the bb. 1500 or 2000 seems good here. if you were getting close to your whole stack, you could've just pushed all in.

the second hand, the pre flop raise was good, but 400 with 3 callers, that means the pot was $1600. when you bet $600 on the flop, he was getting decent odds for a call. he had 9 outs to the flush, and 3 more outs to the straight (since we wont count the Q of hearts twice) twice, for a total of 24 outs on the turn and river. In reality, although the aces were ahead, he actually was the favorite in the hand so it was only a moderately "bad beat". he had about a 52% chance to improve and beat you there. his call pre flop was understandable too, in a situation where you have to play what you're dealt, he had position and decent suited cards.

honestly you were destined to lose this hand. even if you had put him on either a straight or flush draw, and tried to bet enough to give him incorrect odds to make the call (say, 1/2 to 2/3 the pot) it would have been hard to put him on the flush draw + straight draw. no matter what you would've bet, he was going to call you and as i said above he was a small favorite in the hand after the flop.

the only thing i can tell you, is that the more i play the more i realize AA is not that great. its just a pair. and since its "the best hand" more often than not it is hard to let go. what does that equate to? small pots won, and big pots lost. while you need to play them aggressively preflop, you need to be ready to lay them down when a scary flop comes

Full Flush Poker