Assassinated with aces up

P

paradocks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A rather interesting hand I had about 15 mins into a bugsy's club freeroll.

I'm first to act with AQ, I make a standard 3 times the big blind raise, two people call. Flop comes A96 all spades, I bet about 800 into a 1,200 pot and both call. Turn is the 4 of diamonds, I bet 1,800 into a 3,600 pot and again both call. Flop comes Q of clubs, I decide to check my 2 pair not wanting to act in a bad position against someone who may have flopped the flush, next guy to act moves allin with about the remaining half of his stack, the guy behind him folds. This somewhat confused me, I tried to eliminate the possibility of a flush and looked at what else he may have been holding... If he'd had pocket 9's I think he probably would've played it more aggressively from the flop, so I ruled that out. The most likely outcome I came to was that we were both probably holding AQ. So I call.... He flips over pocket queens. Ouch.

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ouch is rite, them beats are terrible, i no ive had them, we have all had them and they hurt,the other day at fulltilt in the tourney i had J 8 of hearts and the flop came 6 9 10 of hearts i checked the other guy checked then came 7 of clubs giving me a straight and i still had the flush i got on the flop,i bet $ 500. the other guy goes all-in $13,000 i figure i got him now so i call i had about $ 12,500 the river was a 3 of spades buy the way, well i needed a 7 of hearts or a Queen of hearts for a straght flush, he also flopped a flush but his was King high and that ended the tourney for me,these beats really hurt,but thats poker LOL>>>>> buckster436:mad:

K

KK_Cowboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the flush draw bit you here

This is a tough one because the flush is definitely a possiblity, but my thinking here is that no one probably has a flush unless they called your preflop raise with something along the lines of A-10, A-J, or any combination of KQJ. The only way I think you could have avoided this would have been an all-in on the turn. It would have been dangerous for sure, but I don't think you would have got rid of the queens anyother way.

But to be honest that really is a difficult hand to gauge.

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hindsight is 20-20, but the way the hand played out makes perfect sense. You initiated the betting with 3xBB, which is probably what QQ was contemplating anyway, so he just calls. Then the dreaded overcard Ace came out for him on the flop, as well as a three-flush, so he's now scared that the ladies have already bitten the dust. If you had gone all-in there, you'd have probably taken the pot, but you can't do that with 3 spades on the board. So, you make decent-sized bets to chase any limpers. The guy hit his set. All-in.

The only thing I'm not certain of is why you'd discount the flopped flush so quickly. I wouldn't rule out a slow play there, or small connector spades that he's a little shaky about. Don't think anyone played it badly, just the way the cards fell.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why discount the flush? With betting happening, it seems like a good hand to lie in the weeds until the end - which would seem to be consistent with the betting. Or am I missing something?

E

eponine0927

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On the up side, partypoker has a bad beat jackpot. If someone loses to a "bad beat" as defined by them, the winner and the loser get a bunch of money.

P

Poker Player 100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol... put it in your notes.