AQs vs limp-shove

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
again. i have no idea how you came up with those numbers, but i WOULD still take it. 42% is good enough for me. make the call and if i lose i can go pick up food for dinner.

lol...first of all those numbers are simple math and odds of you winning and if you are saying you want to be in behind and hope to get lucky, you will never be a winning player.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry about that my computer froze on me, could a mod please delete one of them

widowmaker89

widowmaker89

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is a mistake to limit his range to 77+ AJs+. he limped in and wanted to see a flop, he got raise, still wants to see it, would be calling off a third of his stack so why not push it. He is the low stack, and while he has some chips to play with it is a turbo and that may not be the case shortly. Play on these tables isnt always the greatest either, so maybe he wants to make a play that he is in a coin toss with and maybe get a fold out of you. He could be playing any pair here as well as a KQ QJs.

How many times have you had a premium hand here and call to see 55 or QJs? I know I have a lot so I do not know how you can say a limp all in means the range you put him in.

Since this is posted this is probably the case, but i dont see AA or KK here, if someone wants to limp with that hand I feel they would continue the slow play. AK i would be worried about but i think a pocket pair is the most likely here.

As for the pot odds, yes it is directly applicable to cash game but it is still very relevent. I dont see how you saay big blinds they are mroe relevant? They give much better pot odds but the concept is still the same.

This is a borderline call either way, I wouldnt fault someone for either but waiting in a turbo with 3 minute intervals, your chances are going to be limited. You will already be the short stack and most likely end up putting yourself in a position that will be more unfavorable than this.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fwiw, I think some people are putting too much weight on the fact that this is a turbo, like most of the people playing them.

I wouldn't fault a call too much here because AQ is a decent hand (though dominated by AK, which is a good candidate for his holding), but not because it's a turbo. In my experience at these kinda levels the key is to survive until the blinds hit 50/100 with at least 10BBs. Once the blinds reach that level the play tightens up considerably (although some will still be trying to limp) and you basically bash your way through with raises and shoves. Until then, picking up chips isn't nearly as important as having enough chips to attack with when you arrive at that point.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is a mistake to limit his range to 77+ AJs+. he limped in and wanted to see a flop, he got raise, still wants to see it, would be calling off a third of his stack so why not push it. He is the low stack, and while he has some chips to play with it is a turbo and that may not be the case shortly. Play on these tables isnt always the greatest either, so maybe he wants to make a play that he is in a coin toss with and maybe get a fold out of you. He could be playing any pair here as well as a KQ QJs.

How many times have you had a premium hand here and call to see 55 or QJs? I know I have a lot so I do not know how you can say a limp all in means the range you put him in.

Since this is posted this is probably the case, but i dont see AA or KK here, if someone wants to limp with that hand I feel they would continue the slow play. AK i would be worried about but i think a pocket pair is the most likely here.

As for the pot odds, yes it is directly applicable to cash game but it is still very relevent. I dont see how you saay big blinds they are mroe relevant? They give much better pot odds but the concept is still the same.

This is a borderline call either way, I wouldnt fault someone for either but waiting in a turbo with 3 minute intervals, your chances are going to be limited. You will already be the short stack and most likely end up putting yourself in a position that will be more unfavorable than this.

Well you'd have to be an idiot to limp shove with JQs. But it is 1$ SnGs so ofc that is a possibility.

My point is simply that vs most ranges you are <50%. The range really doesn't matter that much. Unless you start including shit like QTo, you are probably <50% here. vs a loose range of 55+, ATs+, KJs+ you are still 46.5% dog. It's the fact that in most cases you would expect a mid pp to be turned over (~55:45 dog), that makes this a fold imo.

So again, if you were deep stacked then yes you call this. You get pot odds and if you have villain covered by enough you are fine if you lose. But playing basically for stacks, when the blinds are small, i don't understand why you want to call his shove hoping like hell he is AJ or KQ, because nothing else is that realistic and has us ahead.

You need some range like 55+,A8s+,KJs+,KQo,ATo+ for hero to be even 53%, which is still putting your tournament completely on a coin flip.

M

marble

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you don't have to be favorite to make a good call. feitr, if the villain flashed you 99 and you fold...then you just made a mistake imo. maybe you can find a better spot, that makes you a hell of a good player. i ain't that good so i maybe the wrong guy to take advice from.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry sir but i don't understand your logic. I fail to see how risking everything when you have a no-skill 45% chance to win a pot or bust the tourn is a good decision. Besides, even if that is the way that you like to play then being the one to shove first is far better, because 1. you gain fold equity and 2. a "random" hand is much more likely to be worse than a check shoved hand .
I personally HATE playing for stacks in SnGs (ofc sometimes you have to) when there is much less luck involved if you actually see a flop.

M

marble

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you're probably right. i guess i'm just a loose player because i would call with a coin flip given the pot odds, people play different.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pot odds never mean jack, pot odds are always important if you want to win in the long run. While AA KK QQ are possible, I would think chances are he doesnt push. AK is possible as well. Most likely I would think you are going against a lower pair here. You say he is tight aggressive, but I find that to be hard to read considering the amount of hands, what makes you think this?

Erm... I didn't say the villain was tight aggressive. If anything I'd say he was playing loose-passive, but as you point out, we don't really have enough hands for a solid read. I did said that I was playing tight aggressive, but we can't rely on the villain having noticed that.

Anywho, results (such as they are): I folded.

There were a couple of things that lead me to do it:

- First and foremost, the line is just too weird for anything I'm ahead of. It just screamed "Standard low-stakes player with a big pair trap"
- If I call and lose, I'm crippled. If I fold, I've still got more than enough chips to work with
- The move was out of line with anything this player had done before, especially when I'd announced some strength.

NineLions also has a point: the fact that this is a turbo shouldn't be anywhere near as big a factor as people seem to think it is, especially if you conserve chips and stay out of trouble early. Which is another reason I don't really want to take a coinflip (or worse) here. I find the rising blinds are only really a problem if you get involved in too many pots early and run your stack down in the first few levels.

Side note - if anyone wants to see a scary graph, sharkscope a player called TheEnd79: he plays a lot of turbos at the $5 and under level (I've played him in $2 games once or twice, and observed a few more of his games) and destroys them using basically the same strategy NineLions has highlighted: fold everything but big edges early, then start weighing in when the field gets down to four or five players.

Rob: yeah, 25% rake is high, and I'll be only too happy to move away from these games when I'm properly rolled for them. It's one of the reasons I'm taking a shot at a $2 game (with a somewhat more reasonable 12.5% rake) whenever I win one of these. In the meantime though, they're proving relatively easy to beat and I'm still making a profit from them. The ROI figures I quoted earlier include rake, FWIW.

Anyway, apologies for the long post, and by all means continue the discussion - looks like it's of a lot more interest than I originally thought!

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fwiw, I think some people are putting too much weight on the fact that this is a turbo, like most of the people playing them.

I wouldn't fault a call too much here because AQ is a decent hand (though dominated by AK, which is a good candidate for his holding), but not because it's a turbo. In my experience at these kinda levels the key is to survive until the blinds hit 50/100 with at least 10BBs. Once the blinds reach that level the play tightens up considerably (although some will still be trying to limp) and you basically bash your way through with raises and shoves. Until then, picking up chips isn't nearly as important as having enough chips to attack with when you arrive at that point.

You are prolly right about this strategy in a low limit turbo.I have been playing $24 and $36 turbo's at the same site and they're a whole different animal.Almost everyone who is anyone in these already has a 2000-3000 chip stack by the time the blinds get up to 50/100.

You're right about this strategy in a small stakes turbo though.If you play that way in a bigger one though you will be a break even or maybe slightly profitable player.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are prolly right about this strategy in a low limit turbo.I have been playing $24 and $36 turbo's at the same site and they're a whole different animal.Almost everyone who is anyone in these already has a 2000-3000 chip stack by the time the blinds get up to 50/100.

You're right about this strategy in a small stakes turbo though.If you play that way in a bigger one though you will be a break even or maybe slightly profitable player.

The way Tilt works, someone who can play well could really do well at mid-level buyins because Tilt offers a lot of satellites into the bigger ones. It may not have cost them much to get there, but it pays the winners the same.

I played a $75 one of these because I had a token that I had to use from a points freeroll win and I suspect some of my competition got there the same way. Not all great play. I saw one of the players who had decent Sharkscope stats go out in a blind battle, shoving his AT over the SB raise fairly early on. The SB had TT which held up to eliminate the player with the decent stats.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rob: yeah, 25% rake is high, and I'll be only too happy to move away from these games when I'm properly rolled for them. It's one of the reasons I'm taking a shot at a $2 game (with a somewhat more reasonable 12.5% rake) whenever I win one of these. In the meantime though, they're proving relatively easy to beat and I'm still making a profit from them. The ROI figures I quoted earlier include rake, FWIW.

This is what I've found too. If you haven't much of a bankroll on Tilt, the ease of winning these more than covers the rake.

Part of the ease may be due to the fact that the cash games start at 0.05/0.10, so beginners think that they should play these instead of cash games.

F

frykas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
call i think u get coin flip.. since u raise 300 and ur shortstack..

T

trubucsfan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i just re-raised and lost that hand 45 min. ago they are right i am new and do ok in freerolls but i have a lot to learn fold

M

marble

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i just re-raised and lost that hand 45 min. ago they are right i am new and do ok in freerolls but i have a lot to learn fold

one hour from now you'll get into another coinflip and win. then you'll think to yourself, "hmmmm.....when i lose these flips i lose $1 but when i win i get $1.5, sounds like a good deal to me"

-m

T

trubucsfan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
this is to funny just got your reply and yep i agree was a good feeling to win it thanks good post feeling better on my play. and would revise to that i would still go in because the odds are ok here not great

beechleaf

beechleaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im calling here with the suited A/Q

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well this has been an interesting thread...so what happened?

N

nudist30

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To fold

Yeah I would probably fold in this instance because the way the players at FTP are about 80% donks well this guy probably is a donk and he found himself the "golden" hand for him to push with either AA or KK or QQ. So you probably are a slight dog. If you feel frisky go for it. But the smart money is on folding this hand. Just my opinion.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well this has been an interesting thread...so what happened?

Posted the result on the previous page but I think it got kinda lost - I folded.

I stacked the villain later and then cashed though.

ItsMe

ItsMe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seen this sort of play too often to be convinced. Can't put him on big pairs or he should be raising to eliminate competition so preflop his range could be anything from ace-rag to sc to small pps.

His response to your bet indicates it's small pps. I would guess 33 up to 88. My banker would be 44.

So you are behind but not by much. As a rule of thumb here I would not call with anything less than 99.

Even with AK you can just put fuel on the fire by re-raising especially against monkeys. They don't tend to fold and they tend to at least call the re-raise. So it is difficult and the Laws of Poker don't really apply.

So its a slightly unfavourable coin toss or wait for a better spot. If you think you are a good player then I think you fold and look to outplay the monkeys over a longer stretch.