AQo lateish stages of mtt

S

Shandy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all, would like your thoughts on the following hand- don't have hand history, so may be slightly wrong- but will get the general gist of the hand across.
tourny- $5 fo on pokerstars- 2300 or so entered- 504 paid, 300 left.
I am chip leader on my table (although probably only just in top 30 overall), think rest of table sees me as very LAG, as have been raising on ave prob 3 times per orbit (but have had pretty good hands), and am getting the impression that a few of the other players are getting quite bitter towards me, and always assume i am bluffing.
Villian has been pretty LAG as well, although has been slightly restricted by stack size recently, but doubled up a couple of hands ago, so is not so restricted.
bb2000
folded to Hero T$85000 in Hijack with AcQh- raises to 6000
1fold
villian button T$55000- reraises to 15000
2 folds
hero calls 9000

flop
9c9x2c

Hero ?????

Will just post to this point for now, would like peoples opinion on best action here- remember pot is approx 35000- villian has 40000 behind.

cheers
shandy

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I shove PF.

Flop play is super-hard here, I think I b/f like ~18,000, but even then he might shove light and we'll have trouble calling.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya I'm shoving/folding PF. I don't want to be OOP with a marginal AQ and a lag villain behind me. That flop doesn't help either.

Basically if villain has been 3-betting light then I'll definitely shove; we have tons of FE and could very well have the best hand. We also want to make sure that everyone knows that when we raise, they should be getting right out of the way or else their stack will be at risk. By smooth calling and check-folding or lead-folding, we're basically showing that we can be pushed out of a pot which is not what we want at this point.

As played we're now in a sticky spot and have given control of the pot to him. I don't see him folding AK or any pair if we put out a probe bet or a ch-r AI, and he's only folding hands that we have dominated like AJ/QK etc.

Your PF action got you in this mess and I don't think we should be committing many more chips. I don't hate the probe bet, but I much prefer just shoving PF like vanq said.

S

Shandy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheers for the replys- to be honest i hadn't even considered that i had messed up the preflop play- but then that is only due the fact that i also knew about the catastrophic postflop play- which kinda dwarfs the preflop play- but yeah i see now that this hand should really have been decided preflop.
On that flop, with both of us being fairly lag, i felt any standard continuation bet gets shoved over the top of by villian, a check induces a shove as well, or a small bet which i would have to see as a value bet and fold. So basically i have to either put him on a hand which beats me- in which case i should have folded pf- and check fold, or put out a bet which pot commits me to let him know i am serious about my hand.
So i decided to bet out 25k- pot committing myself- he pushed for another 15k- so now i have to call 15k into a 75k pot- which was ample odds if he was playing 33-88, 1010/jj- as i would still have 6 outs- approx 24% chance of winning i think- so yeah i made the call- he turned over JJ- and i didn't improve.
I am still not overly sure that check folding is the best option- as he shoves his entire range- a lot of which i beat.
Same thing with a small continuation bet.
But then by betting the amount i did, his shoving over the top of that really polarizes his range to hands which have me beat- but by that stage i am getting such good odds that i can't really give it up can i?
So yeah i guess this all really starts preflop- and should have ended there.
cheers
shandy

clamman1

clamman1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
althoughh edid have yyiou beat in this instance i would never make a value bet that commits u 2 the pot i think after the flop he only need a pocket pair to beat u becasue he raised ur bet so he couldnt have a duece and the nines were out there. ophil gordon says that whoever bets the pot first usally wins the hand. in ur case he had a pocket pair nd thus u lost the hand. altho u bet on the flop i eiether would have bet around 10k or all in deff not in the middle like you id becasue if he does rerasie all in it is hard for u to get out of the hand and if u went all in it would put you in control and he might have folded if his pp was waeker

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop was already covered by Chuck and Van... On the flop you bet enough to commit yourself. A shove would have been more apprioprate in that case. It gives you more FE (which with the size of your bet isn't much of a difference) if you are going to fire off a bet. I like stop and gos at this point in tourneys, espeically if you are not willing to shove PF.

If you think you behind here (to a TAG) then just check/fold.