AQ on the button facing weird UTG+1 bet $4 180 SNG

P

phatjose

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just got moved to this table so no reads on the villain. This is the second hand I was dealt at the table. My problem lies with my stack size. If I come over the top, like I would normally do, I am shoving since I can't really raise to 750 and get away from the hand. But his 8x bet kind of threw me for a loop since this is much larger than a normal raise at this point in the tourney. I am obviously going to play the hand, but should I just get it all in preflop or should I use my positional advantage and just flat call?

pokerstars Game #16773839359: Tournament #84972650, $4.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2008/04/16 - 14:06:37 (ET)
Table '84972650 15' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: lololol18 (965 in chips)
Seat 2: FloryD7 (3535 in chips)
Seat 3: mailburner (3845 in chips)
Seat 4: mkaguu (2485 in chips)
Seat 5: JRG57 (840 in chips)
Seat 6: seamar11 (1520 in chips)
Seat 7: TAVO808 (220 in chips)
Seat 8: phatjose (1025 in chips)
Seat 9: CupcakeTrev (3005 in chips)
CupcakeTrev: posts small blind 15
lololol18: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to phatjose [As Qd]
FloryD7: folds
mailburner: raises 210 to 240
mkaguu: folds
JRG57: folds
seamar11: folds
TAVO808: folds
phatjose: ??

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold.

To me it's a push or fold hand. If you just flat call his bet you're basically committed. Let's assume you call and the blinds fold, they'll be 525 in the pot and you'll have 785 left. What are you hoping to hit on the flop that will make you feel OK when his next bet is more than 1/2 your stack? Without reads that the villain here is an idiot I fold, if he is an idiot, I push.

D

Dr_Dick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"I am obviously going to play the hand".....why???

There is no reason to risk your tournament at blinds 15/30 with at best a coin flip. In this situation, what range of hands raises that you can beat?

If you push pre-flop, he makes an easy call against your stack. If you call, he pushes post flop against your stack and you have to fold unless you hit an A or a Q on a no K flop.

The best I can see you doing is calling and hoping to hit a flop. If you push, there are really no hands you can beat that would raise x8 in early position. Typically you will be up against a mid PP up to JJ and an outside chance of AK.

Me...I would fold and wait for a better play.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree on the fold. The bet says 77-JJ. If you were in one of the blinds then a stop-n-go might be a consideration.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with getting out of the way on this one too - you've just been moved to the table, blinds are still low, it's very early in the tournament, and this raise could mean a few different things.

I'd suggest at the very least you're probably not going to get the villain to fold: if you shove, villain would only be risking about a quarter of their stack in total to call you and if my first impression is right, you're most likely up against a garden-variety "chip up or get out" LAG who'll call you with a wide range of hands.

The upside to this is that you'll probably get another chance to take chips off the same villain, if you just sit back and wait for a better spot.