chapatos (BB): 56,709 (81 bb)

Pre-Flop: (1,815) Hero (poppyLove15) is UTG with A A
poppyLove15 (UTG) raises to 1,750, 7 players fold, chapatos (BB) calls 1,050

Flop: (4,615) 8 J Q(2 players)
chapatos (BB) checks, poppyLove15 (UTG) bets 3,045, chapatos (BB) calls 3,045

Turn: (10,705) 8(2 players)
chapatos (BB) checks, poppyLove15 (UTG) bets 7,065, chapatos (BB) calls 7,065

River: (24,835) A(2 players)
chapatos (BB) bets 3,500, poppyLove15 (UTG) raises to 8,750, chapatos (BB) raises to 35,000, poppyLove15 (UTG) calls 13,915 (all-in)

Total pot: 70,165

Showdown:
chapatos (BB) shows K T (a Royal Flush)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 18%, Flop: 49%, Turn: 25%, River: 100%)

poppyLove15 (UTG) shows A A (a full house, Aces full of Eights)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 82%, Flop: 51%, Turn: 75%, River: 0%)

chapatos (BB) wins 70,165

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is a rough cooler nothing you can do there really except shoving preflop maybe and taking the blinds probably.:eek:

K

KLDUFF1987

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is a rough cooler nothing you can do there really except shoving preflop maybe and taking the blinds probably.:eek:

yea my heart sank when this happened, this is my lucky all week and last week, nothing I got knocked out of the scoop $11 knockout from KK vs AA on the first hand too

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe on river no raising either as your hand loses to 88 or K10 diamonds it is only third best and second nuts always seems to lose to nuts all day long sometimes.:dontknow:

H

Houdini9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe on river no raising either as your hand loses to 88 or K10 diamonds it is only third best and second nuts always seems to lose to nuts all day long sometimes.:dontknow:

It's hard to do when you are holding AA preflop - but I like this 100%

GL GL,

HOUDINI9

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You gave him steep odds for chasing his draw and he chased it anyway. That was a bad beat he got lucky.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open of course and I like your sizing.

Flop
This is actually a fairly bad flop for your hand as well as your range, since BB will have way more straights and two pair than you. He will also have a lot of hands, that picked up equity with some sort of draw. The stack to pot ratio is almost 8, which is way to deep to stack off with your hand. For that reason I think, the plan here has to be to do some pot control and go for a medium sized pot.

You fire a very large C-bet, and I am not a fan of that play. Its a disaster, if you get raised, and when you use these large bet sizes, you are setting it up to play for stacks, which I already said I dont want. So either go for a small C-bet to keep the betting lead, or check back and see, what happen on the turn.

Turn
This was a fairly decent turn card for you, since it completed none of the draws, and now its less likely, he has Q8, J8 or 88. He could have made trips of course, but that is somewhat unlikely. The situation is still the same as on the flop though. You bomb the pot, and I dont like that play. Its a disaster, if he check-jam on you, and you are simply overplaying your hand.

River
This was obviously a great card for you, because now you have top boat, and you only lose to the royal flush or quads, which are only two combinations of hands. He now leads into you for a very small sizing, and now I think, you make another sizing mistake. You make a very small raise leaving a third of your stack behind, and this is just leaving heaps of money on the table. You have less than a pot sized bet behind, so just move all in and give yourself a chance to get a full dubble up.

Results
Your own comment on the hand is "my luck in a nut shell", and for sure the outcome of this hand is very unlucky. Everyone goes broke here, and there is nothing, that can be done to avoid that outcome. However poker is a long term game, its not the outcome of individual hands. And I think, some rather poor decisions were made on each street in this hand except for preflop. To succeed in poker, these decisions are, what you need to focus on, rather than the unlucky outcome.

It seems to me like, you are focused on betting "for protection" rather than value, and it needs to be the other way around. When you have a marginal made hand, as you did on the flop and turn, you should bet small or even check back. And when you have a nutted hand, as you did on the river, you should bet big for value. I hope this analysis helps :)

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Brutal

my luck in a nut shell

888Poker, $5 + $0.50 - Hold'em No Limit - 350/700 (85 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

poppyLove15 (UTG): 34,610 (49 bb)
kutuz1990 (UTG+1): 20,230 (29 bb)
Bean7777 (MP): 25,709 (37 bb)
boson007 (MP+1): 12,584 (18 bb)
Vlad220480 (LP): 34,312 (49 bb)
BobProctor (CO): 10,247 (15 bb)
4_seasons (BU): 26,084 (37 bb)
ELatter (SB): 10,480 (15 bb)
chapatos (BB): 56,709 (81 bb)

Pre-Flop: (1,815) Hero (poppyLove15) is UTG with A A
poppyLove15 (UTG) raises to 1,750, 7 players fold, chapatos (BB) calls 1,050

Flop: (4,615) 8 J Q(2 players)
chapatos (BB) checks, poppyLove15 (UTG) bets 3,045, chapatos (BB) calls 3,045

Turn: (10,705) 8(2 players)
chapatos (BB) checks, poppyLove15 (UTG) bets 7,065, chapatos (BB) calls 7,065

River: (24,835) A(2 players)
chapatos (BB) bets 3,500, poppyLove15 (UTG) raises to 8,750, chapatos (BB) raises to 35,000, poppyLove15 (UTG) calls 13,915 (all-in)

Total pot: 70,165

Showdown:
chapatos (BB) shows K T (a Royal Flush)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 18%, Flop: 49%, Turn: 25%, River: 100%)

poppyLove15 (UTG) shows A A (a full house, Aces full of Eights)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 82%, Flop: 51%, Turn: 75%, River: 0%)

chapatos (BB) wins 70,165

That was a rough one man ! You did exactly what you had to do preflop and even the bet on the turn was acceptable, but his call should've made you reevaluate the situation, Even that 8 could've been harmful as he could be holding A8d for example. The Ad on the river improved your hand considerably but did not give you the nuts. Of course folding to his bet would've been very tough considering the pot size and odds, but raising was a huge mistake.
The important is to learn from it and shake it off...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course folding to his bet would've been very tough considering the pot size and odds, but raising was a huge mistake.

Its not a mistake to raise, when you only lose to 2 combos, and heaps of other combos will pay you off. He can have a worse boat, he can have flushes, he can have a straight, he can have trips, he can have AQ, which rivered top two pair and dont want to fold. Maybe he will even call with QJ, because he cant read the board or goes on entitlement tilt.

The definition of a value bet (or raise) is, we need to be good more than 50% of the time when called. If we get called by 2 better combos and 20 worse combos, we are printing money. If we never bet or raise for value, and then lose to a better hand, we are leaving tons on money on the table.

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing you can do here, anything other than losing your full stack on this hand is too tight!

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Its not a mistake to raise, when you only lose to 2 combos, and heaps of other combos will pay you off. He can have a worse boat, he can have flushes, he can have a straight, he can have trips, he can have AQ, which rivered top two pair and dont want to fold. Maybe he will even call with QJ, because he cant read the board or goes on entitlement tilt.

The definition of a value bet (or raise) is, we need to be good more than 50% of the time when called. If we get called by 2 better combos and 20 worse combos, we are printing money. If we never bet or raise for value, and then lose to a better hand, we are leaving tons on money on the table.

Hey fundiver,
Theoretically, you are 100% right. In this particular hand, after the guy had made huge calls, I perceived his river bet as a value one and opted for closing the action, thus taking down a big pot or cutting down the loss. I admit that my thinking was on the nitty side though since our hero could only lose to 2 combinations.
And by the way, I love your analysis (above).

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey fundiver,
Theoretically, you are 100% right. In this particular hand, after the guy had made huge calls, I perceived his river bet as a value one and opted for closing the action, thus taking down a big pot or cutting down the loss. I admit that my thinking was on the nitty side though since our hero could only lose to 2 combinations.
And by the way, I love your analysis (above).

The opponent led (donk bet) the river for 15% of the pot. This is called a block bet, and 19 out of 20 times its a weak hand trying to prevent the opponent from putting in a larger bet. The last 1 out of 20 times its a trap to induce a raise. This was that last 1 out of 20 times, but we cant live in constant fear of monsters under the bed. If you are allowing people to get away with block betting against you, when you only lose to 2 combos of hands, this is something, you seriously need to rethink.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The opponent led (donk bet) the river for 15% of the pot. This is called a block bet, and 19 out of 20 times its a weak hand trying to prevent the opponent from putting in a larger bet. The last 1 out of 20 times its a trap to induce a raise. This was that last 1 out of 20 times, but we cant live in constant fear of monsters under the bed. If you are allowing people to get away with block betting against you, when you only lose to 2 combos of hands, this is something, you seriously need to rethink.

This all day long. Once again fundiver, you've nailed it perfectly! Thank you for your excellent contributions to this forum.