any advice on how i should have played JJ in SB

Z

zebedy1967

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it was about the 20th hand at start of $10 multi tourney,
was dealt JJ in small blind, no overcards on flop, steege had been raising a lot of pots preflop,
im thinking i should have reraised but maybe i just played it like a total donkey

JJ has caught me out several times now

Seat 1: javashampoo (2,970)
Seat 2: mx297 (2,130)
Seat 3: STEEGJE (2,610)
Seat 4: Gtalma (3,120)
Seat 5: mo3 (3,200)
Seat 6: gdogg27511 (3,770)
Seat 7: willy-b-bluffed (3,110)
Seat 8: tengol4life (2,960)
Seat 9: Rivermike 2 (3,130)
willy-b-bluffed posts the small blind of 15
tengol4life posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to willy-b-bluffed [Jh Jc]
Rivermike 2 folds
javashampoo has 15 seconds left to act
javashampoo is sitting out
javashampoo has timed out
javashampoo folds
mx297 folds
STEEGJE raises to 105
Gtalma folds
mo3 folds
javashampoo has returned
gdogg27511 folds
willy-b-bluffed calls 90
tengol4life folds
*** FLOP *** [6d Td 6s]
willy-b-bluffed checks
STEEGJE bets 240
willy-b-bluffed calls 240
*** TURN *** [6d Td 6s] [9d]
willy-b-bluffed checks
STEEGJE bets 720
willy-b-bluffed calls 720
*** RIVER *** [6d Td 6s 9d] [9s]
willy-b-bluffed checks
STEEGJE bets 1,545, and is all in
willy-b-bluffed calls 1,545
*** SHOW DOWN ***
STEEGJE shows [Jd Ad] a flush, Ace high
willy-b-bluffed mucks
STEEGJE wins the pot (5,250) with a flush, Ace high

S

shagnscoob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not exactly sure how it SHOULD have been played preflop, although I think I WOULD have put in more money in a reraise.

On the flop, i would not have checked, I would have bet about what he did, hopefully he calls or folds, if he re-raises fold. Furthermore, after checking on the flop and calling his bet, I almost certainly would have folded to his bet on the river. His play seems exactly consistent with tight aggressive playing a strong draw, which is exactly what he had, and when you checked on the flop, you gave away that you didnt have trip sixes, so he was relatively safe from a full house.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3-bet preflop. You're out of position, and you wouldn't really mind taking the pot down right now. I 3-bet this to 400, check/bomb the flop if he's an aggressive player. If he's passive/good, then I just bet it out.

Either way, you played this way too passively for my tastes.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind the call preflop providing you play postflop strong if you get a good flop. Reraising is fine preflop but are you then laying it down to a rereaise or shove?

However once you get the nice low flop you must bet here. Make him pay with whatever he has.

If you must check as you did then checkraise. JJ loses strength the further you get into the hand and you are so passive here you are asking to get beat.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are only 3 ways to play JJ and all of them are wrong. You can fold them, call them or raise them. You only called, you never raised, nor folded, and if your gonna play JJ you have to run the gamut. Raise to eliminate, fold to pressure, call if you can cheaply.

You should have given serious consideration to reraising PF, and after that flop.

You should always be willing to dump JJ if you run into anyone seriously wanting the pot. Not that you will dump to a raise, but you must be willing to muck JJ.

It is likely that villain would have chased PF, and even post flop, but you would have had to make chasing a bad decision for him to make. You would do that by betting the pot or more on the flop. You got spooked a bit by him leading out on the flop. That is when you needed to put the screws to him or fold. If you had bet the pot, or more, like maybe even shoved all your chips, from a pot odds perspective, he isn't getting the right odds to call, and thus he would be making a bad decision in calling, you could have bet him off the pot and benefited from an aggressive move. Passive play cost you dearly here.

Last edited:
C

chispa73

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that you should have raised him pre-flop, especially since you had him pegged as loose. Plus, since he had raised a lot and he was in the middle of the pack (chip count), it would have put more pressure on him/her. Especially if he saw you as tight.

Post flop that was a big mistake not raising the pot. The worst that could happen is he puts you on two pair. You also said he raised a lot of pots pre-flop but since he was in the middle of the chip count I would assume he folds to raises since he wasn't broke either.

To the aggressor goes the spoils.

S

sliver101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop big raise or fold post flop slightly worrying but no overs big bet then c

A

Abrazee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, don't just call with JJ, raise about 4 to 5 times to let them know you are not just 3 betting with something like A10 or KJ.

Just my 2 cents
AB

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok here's what I think, personally I don't mind your call pre-flop, I also don't mind your call on the flop, for the simple fact that if this person was/is as aggressive as u stated then both ways he was going to either call or rereaise you, the turn is where I would diffently been worried for the fact that there's 3 diamonds, completed straight, plus that 6 which is also a worry, when he bets there's where it's a fold situation, I know it's easy to say this know, but the trueth is he had the nut flush draw, so regardless of how u look at it, aggressive player was going to call you both ways

Z

zebedy1967

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks guys for the advice, as my uncle used to say you live and learn,