Another AK thread

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just kinda want to see if anyone is thinking like me here or if I'm way off base.

It's a freeroll for entry into another freeroll offering WSOPME prizes.

Second hour and the usual all-in idiots have calmed down some. Sorry don't have a hand history so I have to write it out.

Blinds are 50/100. I'm UTG with 17,500 or so chips. We are down to about 600 players and I'm currently in the top 50 with the payout being everyone in the top 50 moves on.

I pick up AK of diamonds and raise to 500 (more than the usual 3 to 4 X BB but I've found you need to bet more than usual in freerolls).

One fold and UTG +2 raises 3000 to 3500. Villan has about 8900 chips and just bet almost half of them. Villan has been a bit Laggy but not a maniac. He's also seems to be one of those donks that loves suited face cards and A-X.

All fold back to me.

What do you do here? Fold, Call or put him all-in?

I will post what I did and why later.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would ship in, he's definitely wider than QQ+

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gotta figure we're ahead of their range, especially if they've been playing LAG, and that they're committed to this pot.

I probably shove in as well, given that villain is pretty well committing to the pot and we don't want to have to play OOP for the rest of the hand.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gotta figure we're ahead of their range, especially if they've been playing LAG, and that they're committed to this pot.

I probably shove in as well, given that villain is pretty well committing to the pot and we don't want to have to play OOP for the rest of the hand.

"gotta figure" - all you're thinking about is range of hands, preflop. Depending on how skilled villain is, I have to ask "why 1/2 his stack"? Hard to say in FR satellites. (this one must be the $1mil Stars wsop Round 1 games)

There's an easier way not to play OOP - fold. You only need to get to 50 and OP at 17.5k is well on the way. I don't need to bet 1/2 MY stack to suffer a setback that will put me somewhere in the 300 of 600 left playing. At least 30% of the time you WILL lose half your stack. What's the fascination with "I was ahead BEFORE we saw any cards"?

We're not desperate, the upcoming blinds are not a huge factor, steal in a hand or two and get your 500 back. I'm in it to make 50th (at least) not to wait til next week to register again. I fold.

Wild Rivers

Wild Rivers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, he shoves in half his stack, indicating he's only HALF-PROUD of his hand!?:D

Put the hammer down on the clown.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"gotta figure" - all you're thinking about is range of hands, preflop. Depending on how skilled villain is, I have to ask "why 1/2 his stack"? Hard to say in FR satellites. (this one must be the $1mil Stars WSOP Round 1 games)

There's an easier way not to play OOP - fold. You only need to get to 50 and OP at 17.5k is well on the way. I don't need to bet 1/2 MY stack to suffer a setback that will put me somewhere in the 300 of 600 left playing. At least 30% of the time you WILL lose half your stack. What's the fascination with "I was ahead BEFORE we saw any cards"?

We're not desperate, the upcoming blinds are not a huge factor, steal in a hand or two and get your 500 back. I'm in it to make 50th (at least) not to wait til next week to register again. I fold.
^^^I agree with this 100%, AA has a hard time holding up against 3 or more random hands as it is and we just have AK here.
Fold and move on.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"gotta figure" - all you're thinking about is range of hands, preflop.

umm what are we supposed to be thinking about here, what villain had for lunch?

daxter70

daxter70

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
youve got 500 invested..and u gonna put 25% of ur stack in and be will to push on an A or K and maybe stil behind.......

of course he could have 2 3 off soot...but at least his is standard and urs is OVERRATED...

fold and wait for a better spot:eek:

point when i was typing this...

AA mid pos in BLODOG wsop qualifier...4th hand...UTG raises 8 times BB...i raise to 800...80% my stack right...Button pushes 1300 all in...UTG snap calls...i of course am in.

AA vs Button KK vs UTG AK diamonds.....idiot AK rivers a flush.....

i take back my original post...PUSH PUSH PUSH !!!!!!!!

Last edited:
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You're suggesting we open-fold AK here?

Sure, it's an option, but we may as well click the sit out button if we're gonna do that. And sitting out isn't an option because while we only need to finish in the top 50, but there's still 600 people left in.

We only get so many premium hands, and we're nowhere near close enough to the prize to be throwing them away. We will need more chips to make it over the line.

There's also a metagame issue at stake here: if you make a raise and then run away with your tail between your legs too often, then people will start re-raising you with garbage a lot more often. This makes it a lot harder to "steal in a hand or two and get our 500 back". Particularly when the villain is on our immediate left, so it's his blinds we'll be trying to steal.

We're behind AA and KK and flipping with pairs, but we're ahead of an unpaired hand and we absolutely crush the Ax hands that the villain apparently loves so much. I shove this all day long.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, it seems most say shove with a few saying fold. I figured my hand was way above villans range and I really don't want a LAG behind me for a long time if I can help it. I never thought he had AA or KK with that bet, freeroll LAGS love to slow play big hands and overbet weak hands. (note, I'm not talkikng about good LAGs here).

So I shoved and he instant called.

Anyone wanna guess what he had? (no it wasn't AA or KK)

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know how much he's been reraising but generally halfin is a monster and even if its a lower pair I'm not in a rush to get half my chips in on cointoss in this situation. There has to be plenty of shortstacks to pick off and better opportunities. We're ahead of AQs, anything else?Blinds are still low fold. Its a cutoff tourn. first doesn't pay extra.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
was it AKo? and he's the one who hit flush?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We're ahead of AQs, anything else?Blinds are still low fold. Its a cutoff tourn. first doesn't pay extra.

We're ahead of the Ax and two-paint hands that, according to our read, the villain loves so much. We're only dominated by AA and KK. Our equity against that range is huge.

And like I said above, while first doesn't pay any extra, we're still 550 eliminations away from the prize. That's a long way.

Given the instacall... my first guess would be either AK or QQ. Maybe JJ. Though A2s would bring the LOLZ.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does he love Ax and 2 paint hands half in after UTG raise, or just always plays them?

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually he had J 8 spades.

So he reraised and under the gun raiser with half his stack and instant called putting himself all in with J 8 suited. Sounds about right.

Flop was K clubs 9 diamonds 5 diamonds.

of course he hit runner runner 7 then 6 non diamonds for the straight.

My question, under the total tourny circumstances if you know what villian has do you make the same play?

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I know what he has I call and as the first to act I can push to take it down when he misses the flop (dreamland). My decision was to fold but why would anyone change their answer from push knowing its 2 undercards its not quite as good as Ax but better than any pair. You said he wasn't a maniac!

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My question, under the total tourny circumstances if you know what villian has do you make the same play?

Would I still shove AK over the top of J8s?

Every time.