Another 10K dilemma...

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very small sample of hands with Switch0723, who is in the BB here, to get any meaningful stats or reads.

What are your thoughts when you see this hand pf with the blinds at 50/100. Do you push/limp/open raise. As played what are your plans for flop?

I will post the next part of the hand when I have some thoughts.

poker stars, $5 + $0.50 NL Hold'em Tournament, 50/100 Blinds, 9 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

UTG: 2,550
UTG+1: 2,920
Hero (UTG+2): 1,475
MP1: 595
MP2: 695
CO: 5,510
BTN: 885
SB: 1,410
BB: 1,510

Pre-Flop: (150) J
diamondnormal.gif
J
heartnormal.gif
dealt to Hero (UTG+2)
2 folds, Hero raises to 400,

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I am sure you are aware, your M stands at around 9.5, and to me, this is too much for an open shove when holding JJ. It is a tough spot to be dealt JJ but I think an open shove is just being scared of the flop. A majority of the hands that call the all-in will hit if the danger cards come on the flop anyway (outside maybe 77-Tens, a small amount of hands).

Limping is not an option for me. Getting value and protecting our hand is vital.

Therefore, I think you took the right option raising, but I do not think the amount was right. We are in EP so our raises will recieve more respect anyway, we don't have to bump up the raise too high for it look intimidating.

The main problem though is what happens if we are re-raised or called. With 400 in the pot we have 1075 left in our stack. We are calling raises all-in because of the odds from the two players behind us and the button whether we think they have a monster or not. However, if the big stack or blinds shove then it will be 1625 in the pot and 1075 to call and it is around 1.6:1. We can't fold there. As you state that the table is unknown you probably are not laying this down anyway, but it still leaves the problem of if we are just called. In that case, there will be at least 850 in the pot assuming there is just one caller. That is huge compared to our stack and leaves us little room to c-bet if overcards comes and then fold to check-raise.

If the raise was 300, then the pot is 650, and we have a little more room on the flop. 250 keeps the pot small but the odds offered to the blinds are slightly too good then. I realise it is just 100 chips difference but that is a decent portion of our stack and if we aren't shoving it puts our stack under pressure and gives us little room.

And this post is too long over 100 chips, lol.

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would raise to 250-300 and ajust to flop accordingly. I dont think anyone would call a shove with anything that dosnt beat you or you are flipping with espicially with there relatively similar stakc sizes. KK/QQ/AA and possible AQ/AK may call but other than that i think JJ and TT should fold most of the time.

on the flop pot is 600 if caled and you have 1225 left so you could c-bet on a flop with one over and fold which is what i would do.

If the flop contains 2 or more movers i c/f.

unders, i look to get it al in barring 3 flush/or highist straight ie 789.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
did you really raise to 400? Didn't realise that at the time, would never have done what i did if i knew so much was in middle.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
diamondnormal.gif
J
heartnormal.gif
dealt to Hero (UTG+2)
2 folds, Hero raises to 400, 5 folds, BB calls 300

Flop: (850) Q
heartnormal.gif
spadenormal.gif
clubnormal.gif
(2 Players)
BB bets 1,110 and is All-In, Hero?

OK, villain has made a bold play here, our decision is Call of Fold?

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
diamondnormal.gif
J
heartnormal.gif
dealt to Hero (UTG+2)
2 folds, Hero raises to 400, 5 folds, BB calls 300

Flop: (850) Q
heartnormal.gif
spadenormal.gif
clubnormal.gif
(2 Players)
BB bets 1,110 and is All-In, Hero?

OK, villain has made a bold play here, our decision is Call of Fold?

Call. Hero's line does not make sense with a hand that beats you, so at best he's semi bluffing AK or a lower pocket pair than yours.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also call here now i see the situation properly. the only hand in my range that has you beat is kq, on basis i am most likely shoving a,q pre.

The key part is working out, what hands im willing to call 1/3 of my effective stack with pre flop, that im shoving that flop with?

TWiTCHaH

TWiTCHaH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My guess is that he had Q/J and got extremely lucky when the Q came down.