am I unlucky or did I really screw myself pre flop?

cjmik

cjmik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Table '49729151 1' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 3: epod123 (5780 in chips)
Seat 4: DaddyMik2 (2560 in chips)
Seat 6: Janni71 (1335 in chips)
Seat 7: Tyre75 (3825 in chips)
epod123: posts small blind 50
DaddyMik2: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to DaddyMik2 [Ad 8d]
Janni71: folds
Tyre75: calls 100
epod123: calls 50
DaddyMik2: checks
*** FLOP *** [3d Td Qd]
Janni71 said, "got KT"
epod123: checks
DaddyMik2: checks
Tyre75: bets 300
epod123: folds
DaddyMik2: raises 300 to 600
Tyre75: raises 400 to 1000
DaddyMik2: raises 1460 to 2460 and is all-in
Tyre75: calls 1460
*** TURN *** [3d Td Qd] [6h]
*** RIVER *** [3d Td Qd 6h] [3s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
DaddyMik2: shows [Ad 8d] (a flush, Ace high)
Tyre75: shows [Qc 3h] (a full house, Threes full of Queens)
Tyre75 collected 5220 from pot
Tyre75 said, "jo"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 5220 | Rake 0
Board [3d Td Qd 6h 3s]
Seat 3: epod123 (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 4: DaddyMik2 (big blind) showed [Ad 8d] and lost with a flush, Ace high
Seat 6: Janni71 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Tyre75 (button) showed [Qc 3h] and won (5220) with a full house, Threes full of Queens

N

NoMem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say unlucky. It looks like he thought he had the best hand even with the 3 diamonds on the board, or that you were bluffing at the flush [or I'm giving him to much credit]. But you had the nut flush, and maybe more than a single raise would have pushed him out. Either way, I think he just got lucky on the river, and as Doyle says, you were on the wrong side of luck.

AmadorEd

AmadorEd

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i were to of played that hand, i would almost always push all in on the flop, as this would be the best move to get the other players to fold, the minimum raise you put out was not strong enough bet to get the other guy to fold. Anyways, it was an unlucky river for you, lucky for him........

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i were to of played that hand, i would almost always push all in on the flop, as this would be the best move to get the other players to fold, the minimum raise you put out was not strong enough bet to get the other guy to fold. Anyways, it was an unlucky river for you, lucky for him........

With the blinds like they are I would not have been all in. I would have raised to get the same effect or I would have checked as he did. I would not risk whole tny with A8s for the benefit of less than 1/12th of my stack. I am only going to get called with better. 5-6xBB would have same effect and let me get off the hand if needed.

If I check like he did PF - then I play same way. You do not want him to fold but entice him to reraise as you have the nuts. You are 82% favourite when all the money is in the middle.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dude, he hit a 4 outer... you're OOP with ace rag suited. I like the limp. When the money went in you are about an 85% favorite. What more could you hope for?

alexanderwoo1

alexanderwoo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you could forced him out of the pot if you raised like 4 times the big blind preflop and he probably would have folded. Than on the flop you could have push instantly.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Stuff happens, looks fine to me.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a 4-handed table, A8s with 2 limpers is a hand you should raise with, although it depends on how tricky your opponents are ( 4-handed you have to be aware of that, even more when its 3-handed). So maybe you could have avoided this.

That said you are very, very unlucky. Nut flush on the flop is a "bet the house" situation. The only thing you're concerned with is how to get your opponent to double you up, certainly not him making a FH.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When u give em a chance and they take it you're dead.

Admit it, you thought NUTS! AH HA ! VALUE!

Meanwhile the other guy turns 2 pair, and you cant do death to him, (has u covered) he's gambling and won.

Moral of this story is on the flop, a fish in the hand is worth two fish in his river.

tiltboy

tiltboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just got unlucky - only thing i would say is that you should have raised say x3 BB with limpers to close out the hand there and then esp A-8 out of position.

Still unlucky though.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unlucky. You didn't have nearly enough information to put him on a type of hand, let alone decided what specific cards he had. And even then, pushing all-in was the right move since you had the nuts and were a very good favortie in retaining them (if I knew he had two pairs, there's no way I don't get all my chips in there).

Calling the raise and going all-in on the turn would have changed nothing since the only hand that could beat him there that couldn't, bar a flush, is Q-6 and it is highly unlikely that you would've called his flop raise with such a crappy hand, thus he won't believe you have it (or that you've made trips with 66) and still call.

This guy valued his two pairs a lot and there was no way you could've made him fold and he sucked out on you, too bad. And I even doubt that a guy who doesn't think twice about folding on a 3 diamond board with 3 people in the hand when there's so much action would have folded to a 3-bet preflop.

Another consideration: I'm not fond of raising with A-8 suited in this kind of situation and this is why:
a) We don't have a powerhouse, we have A-8 out of position. I prefer A-2 or A-Q, A-K to raise. A-8, I check and see the flop cheap hoping for my nut-flush draw.
b) If we were raising a lot in the BB and people have noticed, reopening the betting could mean a reraise from someone slowplaying a pocket or just wanting to shut us down.
c) Raising means that we will get called by hands that have us already dominated (A-9, for example) or hands that are only slight underdog and that can hit the flop hard (K-10, K-J, K-Q) for straights or top pair if we don't pair that Ace.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Why do we want everyone to fold? He has the nuts and can only lose if the board pairs and then only if another player has trips or 2 pair now.

Pre-flop the call is fine since you will be out of position and A-8 even suited is a trap hand and there is no reason to put alot of money in unless you think you can push both the others out.