Always be prepared in any tournament!!don’t do this!!!

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Hello cards chat community hope this post teaches what not to do!!!!!!!
I was playing in a tournament you know those $1.10 with$1000 Guaranteed with about 700 or so entries. I think I was 16th position with 26 players left at this point I have been playing for five hours last time I eat was 6 hours before . And were I was playing from I couldn’t get any thing to eat without leaving the tournament. Any way I was hungry and tired so my decision was not the best. I was chilling at my table when the chip leader came to my table. I don’t know what happened but I had A7o and the chips leader raised the players beside him called and I go all in.ok here’s the problem when the chip leader raises I knew his range was not too strong that’s the read I got.so maybe AT or small pocket pair. I know if I get him to fold I would assert my dominance at the table 😂. I was not thinking straight. What a nitwit I am it’s ok to call me a donkey because that was a real donk move . Thank for your comment.
pokerstars, $0.98 + $0.12 - Hold'em No Limit - 1,800/3,600 (450 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

xande949 (UTG): 181,288 (50 bb)
Dr. Petronio (UTG+1): 177,662 (49 bb)
jose landaverde (MP): 129,907 (36 bb)
akl_rm (MP+1): 329,896 (92 bb)
cascote1875 (CO): 210,234 (58 bb)
seppel272 (BU): 767,420 (213 bb)
ratbat615 (SB): 111,518 (31 bb)
xasapis mpaldas (BB): 208,920 (58 bb)

Pre-Flop: (9,000) Hero (ratbat615) is SB with A♣ 7♠
3 players fold, akl_rm (MP+1) raises to 7,920, cascote1875 (CO) calls 7,920, 1 fold, ratbat615 (SB) 3-bets to 111,068 (all-in), 1 fold, akl_rm (MP+1) 4-bets to 329,446 (all-in), 1 fold

Flop: (237,256) 8♠ K♦ 2♦ (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (237,256) K♣ (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (237,256) 3♠ (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 237,256

Showdown:
akl_rm (MP+1) shows A♦ K♠ (three of a kind, Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 74%, Flop: >99%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

ratbat615 (SB) shows A♣ 7♠ (a pair of Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 26%, Flop: <1%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

akl_rm (MP+1) wins 237,256

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Ace is strong, but A7o are not the best cards to go all in with the chip leader. I think that even if you were tired you could be more patient to get something better. Of course you could get a board with nothing more interesting than just a 7 for you!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
was chilling at my table when the chip leader came to my table. ok here’s the problem when the chip leader raises I knew his range was not too strong that’s the read I got.so maybe AT or small pocket pair. I know if I get him to fold I would assert my dominance at the table 😂.
I wont call you a donk You had a plan and went with it and it worked out badly. Making a mistake is bad when you dont learn from it and ask questions.

The question is what did you learn on this hand. I cut down your response to what I saw that had me concerned.

So the chip leaded just moved to the table. When the chip leader raised I knew his range was not strong. What makes you think this is true? He just moved to your table or did you have notes or played him before this time? He is open raising from UNG+1. As an EP raiser his range should be tighter and you should give him more credit. While some players play bad cards from most position from EP most wont. One top pro says he will fold some very decent hands to 3bets the1st time a player makes them. If they dont make another for an hour "LIVE PLAY" so about 30 to35 hands and that player 3 bets him again he will again lean to a fold as its not as likely he is playing trash there.

2nd you said if i get him to fold I would assert my dominance at the table. While being the big shark at the table it good, showing dominance is not that inportant. Personally, many good players dont want to be seen as dominating other as once players think someone is over pushy players will make looser calls and that is not necessarily what you want.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wont call you a donk You had a plan and went with it and it worked out badly. Making a mistake is bad when you dont learn from it and ask questions.

The question is what did you learn on this hand. I cut down your response to what I saw that had me concerned.

So the chip leaded just moved to the table. When the chip leader raised I knew his range was not strong. What makes you think this is true? He just moved to your table or did you have notes or played him before this time? He is open raising from UNG+1. As an EP raiser his range should be tighter and you should give him more credit. While some players play bad cards from most position from EP most wont. One top pro says he will fold some very decent hands to 3bets the1st time a player makes them. If they dont make another for an hour "LIVE PLAY" so about 30 to35 hands and that player 3 bets him again he will again lean to a fold as its not as likely he is playing trash there.

2nd you said if i get him to fold I would assert my dominance at the table. While being the big shark at the table it good, showing dominance is not that inportant. Personally, many good players dont want to be seen as dominating other as once players think someone is over pushy players will make looser calls and that is not necessarily what you want.
Actually it was not the chip leader opening in this hand. It was a HJ (MP+1) open and a CO call, and the chip leader was BTN this hand. We have no reason to assume, that CO is opening wider than normal, when he has the chip leader to his left. If anything that should actually make him tighten up a bit, but when he start with almost 100BB, its not that much of a factor. So I would just assume standard ranges for both players, unless I had HUD-data on them, which kind of stood out as unusual.

I completely agree, that OPs thought process of wanting to make a light 3-bet "to assert his dominance at the table" is not a good one. Even if he got this 3-bet through, he would still be tied with MP for the role as the table short stack, which is not a situation, where you are going to be able to push other players around. I also feel, OP is levelling himself, when he focus on secondary things like his table image in a 1,1$ MTT. OP should just focus on making solid +EV decisions hand for hand and try to increase his stack that way. Or even just stick around and possibly get a few more payjumps, before he bust.

Reail

Reail

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Guys! Thanks for an interesting question and an even more interesting and in-depth answer (@Luvepoker) .
For me, A7 is not in the range for protection on the SB. (in rare cases, A7s vs open-raise from BU). And even more so to shoving with an open raise and call in deep stacks.
Perhaps such a not entirely correct decision was really influenced by fatigue and hunger :unsure:o_O

VikK030p13

VikK030p13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
after the flop you should have folded

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Yes. I would folded to. A7 is not so strong and I would be waiting for better cards.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Looking forward to exactly doing that then ^ :)

C

CezarsGhost

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i've done it but as good move but loss of motivation. just a lack of control or dont wanna play anymore

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Eliminating A-6 too A-9 completely from your calling range will help eliminate your C-game.
Try and read contributions from Tommy Angelo on this subject. He calls them dangling aces.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A few interesting points here that I think you need to consider:

The opening raiser nor the caller are the chip leader in this hand - he is on the button, which means OR's range and subsequent callers range, should be tighter, not looser, like you suggest.

Also, I don't understand your comment about chipleader's range not being "too strong" and the range you put him on. Sure, weakish A's and low pocket pairs are in his range, but so are all the premium and high pocket pairs, broadways. Overly narrowing your opponent's range is a major leak and something you should look to review and study.

A7o is not a good hand to 3-bet bluff all-in against a open raise and call when their ranges should be tighter because of the bigstack on BTN, because you're so often going to be dominated. I like it as a 3-bet bluff if you had more chips, purely against the chipleader, when they open from the BTN, because they can be opening so wide, but I would not be doing it in this situation as you're still going to be the short stack, so asserting yourself on the table is rarely going to work.

Fuelling yourself properly is an important skill to learn, and yes it is a skill. Knowing what to eat and when to eat can be difficult to figure out. I can't eat a big meal before I start a session, because I end up getting foggy headed. I try to eat a light meal of fish or chicken and then snack on things like nuts and bananas throughout the session. Drinking plenty of water is also really important and will help prevent brainfarts like this.