AKs vs. 3 all-ins at final table

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright, what would you do in this situation?

(I couldn't find a converter that worked, so I'll try to make it readable manually).

Final table of a MTT freeroll with 171 entries. 5 players left. 4k/8k blinds and 400 antes. I'm IVB.

[UTG] gonzalo2009 43.975
[MP] jamesdm29 95.507,39
[BTN] IVB 167.629,73
[SB] Endorio 108.957,88
[BB] trackerb0b 11.430

The SB was slightly loose, the player UTG was tight. I was playing mostly tight, but had gotten a few uncontested pots recently.

Hand #698794328 begins at 2010/05/11

jamesdm29 posts the ante of 400
IVB posts the ante of 400
Endorio posts the ante of 400
trackerb0b posts the ante of 400
gonzalo2009 posts the ante of 400

Dealing down cards
Dealt to IVB [Kd Ad]

Endorio posts the small blind of 4,000
trackerb0b posts the big blind of 8,000

gonzalo2009 calls 8,000.
jamesdm29 folds.
IVB raises to 24,000.
Endorio raises to 108,557.88, and is all-in.
trackerb0b calls 3,030, and is all-in.
gonzalo2009 calls 35,575, and is all-in.

What I thought:
Really weird call by the player UTG considering his stack size. Any hand he would be willing to play should be played all-in in that situation. Even if he had a high pair and wanted to encourage action, at least a minimum raise would be expected. That, of course, if he was a good player. Since he wasn't, he didn't care about his stack size and kept his passive style (he almost never raised). Considering his tight style, I put him on jacks, tens, AQ or AK (though a little less probable since I already had a king), I thought even him would raise with aces, kings or queens.

The SB's raise was a little scarier. He was looser but in that situation he was facing a limper and a raise by the large stack. Plus, he had a healthy stack, he wasn't desperate to make a move. Big statement by him. However, if he really had a big hand like a high pair, the intelligent play would be to just call, check after the flop and wait for my bet (I was playing aggressively the pots I entered). Then he could keep slow-playing or do his check-raise. I interpreted this all-in as a "You're not going to keep pushing me around" move since recently I stole some blinds from him. So, I figured he was probably playing some weaker hand like an ace smaller than mine (to which I would be a huge favorite), two face cards (favorite again) or a medium to small pair (coin flip).

The BB's play didn't matter, considering his situation.

The player UTG calls, which would be reasonable for any of the hands I put him in, considering his stack size. He needed to double up and this was his chance.

So, I called. I only really needed to beat the SB to win money and if I lost I'd still have over 58k chips.

I'll tell what happened later so it doesn't influence any opinion. I'm interested not only in what you'd do here, but also in what you think about my reads.

jh1spartanfan

jh1spartanfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call, because my read would be that SB had probably an Ace smaller, but UTG would have pocket Aces through Jacks, however losing to him doesnt hurt your chip stack at all and beating UTG would put you with 3 players and have the chip lead(assuming that BB just was forced in) or if you can beat UTG then heads up with a major chip lead. Another thing is that if you lose the hand you still have $60,000 and are down to 4, leaving you one double up from contention again.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You should move this thread over to 'Tournament Poker'.

rounder22

rounder22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold here utg you said is a tight player he could limping with monster hand like you already said plus by folding you keep you stack size and your in good shape here.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you could win the hand outright and bust them all but the likely ranges make you unlikely to win.

If you had a strong read on the SB and were very confident you had him dominated, that would be a case for a call.

It's an easy fold IMO.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Moved to HA.

OP, prize amounts are pretty much essential in looking at this hand.

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the answers. This is what happened:

I called
SB shows :ah4::9d4:
BB shows :8h4: :7d4:
UTG shows :qd4::qc4:

Flop: :4d4: :as4: :kh4:
Turn: :10h4:
River: :6h4:

UTG did have a good hand and I was lucky to beat him, but my read on the SB was good and I only needed to beat him to win chips. I then went on to beat the other guy heads up to win the tournament.

So, it really seems like a good call after seeing SB's cards. The thing is, though I knew he didn't have a premium hand, instead of A9 he could have a small pair. In that situation I think he'd still shove and then I'd be on a coin flip situation where I was risking more chips then what I'd get if I won (unless I thought I'd beat the UTG player as well, which I didn't). So, looking back, I think I took a risk here when I could have folded and, whatever the result was between the other 2 players, I'd have a healthy stack and I could wait for a better time to get involved.

jh1spartanfan

jh1spartanfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like you made a wise decision in calling, you sometimes have to take risks in poker and that looked like a time where a risk should have been made.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
even seeing the finish, I would fold this all day, you have a good stack and 3 people are going all in... the table is gonna get much smaller. Its never alright in my opinion to call 3 all ins without AA...

Its cool that you had some good reads and realized that you wouldnt lose too many chips unless SB beat you, but imagine if he did spike a nine and you didnt hit a K, and QQ had you beat too. You would be out and in a place that would be much earlier than you would have been if you folded...

Most of the time you are just going to be beat here, I hate AK even calling one all in, its hard for it to be behind preflop, but its almost never ahead when you're all in preflop.

jh1spartanfan

jh1spartanfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
even seeing the finish, I would fold this all day, you have a good stack and 3 people are going all in... the table is gonna get much smaller. Its never alright in my opinion to call 3 all ins without AA...

Its cool that you had some good reads and realized that you wouldnt lose too many chips unless SB beat you, but imagine if he did spike a nine and you didnt hit a K, and QQ had you beat too. You would be out and in a place that would be much earlier than you would have been if you folded...

Most of the time you are just going to be beat here, I hate AK even calling one all in, its hard for it to be behind preflop, but its almost never ahead when you're all in preflop.

He wouldn't have gotten knocked out if he lost the hand. He was the chip leader at the time and had he lost all the side pots and everything he still would have had about 60,000 chips.

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what are the payoffs of this?

1st: $0.60
2nd: $0.50
3rd: $0.45
4th: $0.40
5th: $0.30

It was just a freeroll with a $5 prize pool, but I was playing it seriously anyway, so let's pretend the prizes aren't insignificant.