AKo preflop push

R

Riedel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, playing a $11 shorthanded SNG I am dealt AKo. Blinds are still low (30/60). I have good reads on the players involved in this hand. They're total crap. I have 1990 chips, which is about average. I raise 4xBB. The guy after me reraises to 600. He has me well covered but have seen him reraise with awful hands. Two players who I consider beyond horrible call his reraise.

Wanting to isolate the initial reraiser, with all the dead money in the pot, I decide to push with my AKo. Was this the correct play in this case, seeing the other two players already committed a substantial amount of chips ?

I'll post the outcome later ;)

***** Hand History for Game (?) *****
NL Texas Hold'em $11 Buy-in Trny: 33013794 Level: 2 Blinds(30/60) - Saturday April 21 01:24:54 ET 2007
Table Table 126534 (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 2: Rooney292 ( 3 055 )
Seat 6: darwishc ( 1 440 )
Seat 1: Hero ( 1 990 )
Seat 4: tony_yeyo005 ( 1 060 )
Seat 3: johntik ( 2 900 )
Seat 5: doony1 ( 1 555 )
Trny: 33013794 Level: 2
Blinds(30/60)

Holecards:
Dealt to Hero [
diamK.gif
spadeA.gif
]
CALL doony1, 60
FOLD darwishc
RAISE Hero , 240
RAISE Rooney292, 600
FOLD johntik
CALL tony_yeyo005, 540
CALL doony1, 540
ALL-IN Hero
CALL Rooney292, 1,390
ALL-IN tony_yeyo005
ALL-IN doony1

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How "horrible" a player is is an insignificant factor here. Most at the $11s are "horrible". What matters is if they're tight, loose, aggressive, passive etc.

You say Rooney has reraised with crap before, so we really shouldn't be worried about his repop to 600; we should be ahead of his range. What are your reads on the players who cold called?

R

Riedel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The other two players who cold called will play any 2, and I consider them calling stations. Loose passive, at best.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm, I don't like it. This pot was raised and reraised and those 2 still came in knowing you are left to act. This judgement to call, raise or fold is dependent on them too, and I don't like it. I find it hard to believe you are ahead here.

Pot odds will certainly scream for both callers to call your all-in (tony_yeyo has 460 left, so he'll be getting 7 to1, even better than that if rooney calls, doony has 955 left and assuming tony calls he'll be getting 4 to 1, even better than that if rooney calls). So 3-way for sure and maybe 4-way with an AK.

I would fold but that's me, also because an eventual side pot with rooney would be smallish, around 870 if I'm correct.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oops, sorry about that, I just looked at HH again and I saw that all 3 those guys did call your all-in, and that was the worst case scenario with AK. Well, at least there are 2 side pots in this hand you can win, 870 with rooney and 1485 with rooney and doony. All you can do is prey...

T

Tas2828

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate giving chips away to players that play that way, but all you have is Ace high with top kicker. It is only Ace high though. Against initial raiser that plays loosely go for it, but with potentially 2 other players lay them down and try again later.

R

Riedel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought they might fold to my overbet. But clearly that was a mistake :)

R

Riedel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HAND RESULT JUST BELOW

Flop:

[
heart9.gif
diam4.gif
diam9.gif
]

Turn:
[
spade2.gif
]

River:
[
clubJ.gif
]
Rooney292 shows [
spadeQ.gif
clubK.gif
]a pair of Nines .
tony_yeyo005 shows [
diamQ.gif
diam10.gif
]a pair of Nines .
doony1 shows [
spade9.gif
spade4.gif
]a full house Nines full of Fours .
Hero shows [
diamK.gif
spadeA.gif
]a pair of Nines .
Hero wins 870 chips from side pot #2 with a pair of Nines with Ace kicker .
doony1 wins 1,485 chips from side pot #1 with a full house Nines full of Fours .
doony1 wins 4,270 chips from the main pot with a full house Nines full of Fours .

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a bunch of donks, lol. I feel ridiculous for doing all those calculations, these people are not worth the time. That dumbass flops a full house with the worst hand, he puts all his chips in with 94s.

Is it me, or at times online poker or poker in general rewards people for making the most stupid decisions?

R

Riedel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But they were sooted! ;-)

In retrospect, I think I knew I was gonna be donked. So I probably should've mucked.
They're playing at partypoker btw... so if anyone wants to buddylist em, feel free.

Last edited:
mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to consider that no matter what hand you have, even AA, is going to be less than 50% against 3 other players. You may be favored with the highest percentage to win but you are going to lose most or all of your chips more than half the time.

There is absolutly no reason to believe that anyone was going to flod to your push so you had to figure to be against 3 others. So, you have to ask yourself if it is worth it to play any hand in this circumstance against 3 others knowing there is a better chance you will lose than win. It really doesn't matter what cards they had either, you will still lose more than half the time against 3 random hands.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I play a lot of shorthanded SNG's & seems to me people tend to greatly overvalue Slick, especially out of position & tend to hang on even after totally missing flop.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think were all forgetting about pos EV here. Yes, you are probably behind PF we know you really weren't but removing the donk factor you have to assume you are. You had a re-raiser and 2 10xbb flat callers. Nobodies going away. Donks or no donks you have to look at the risk to reward ratio. The only question you need to ask yourself is, is quadrupling up (or nearly so) worth the risk? In this case you were actually the favorite with about a 37% chance of winning so the answer is clearly yes. Lets see if there are any cases where you are more than a 4:1 underdog.

If you replace 94s w/AA then your chances of winning drop to about 4% so the push would be a bad move. If you replace the same players hand w/KK your chances of winning only drop to 27%, still getting the odds, but in tournament play where mere survival plays a roll in your decision making I'd like a little more cushon than that under ordinary circumstances. At a very loose table however (like yours) I'd push. More than likely you'll be out of the game, but I still think its the right play. In a cash game there would be no question.