AK vs flop donk in $4/180

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Final table of a $4 180-seater.

Villain has been very nitty and somewhat fishy making a few minraises and odd limps in weird spots but otherwise playing pretty straight-forward. I've been very TAG throughout the game, but appear to have loosened up a lot at the final table w/the chiplead.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1600 (6 handed)

Hero (t95362)
MP (t35965)
CO (t47129)
Button (t46026)
SB (t15978)
BB (t29540)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K
club.gif
, A
diamond.gif
Hero raises to t4334, 3 folds, SB calls t3534, 1 fold.

Flop: (t8618) 8
heart.gif
, 6
diamond.gif
, 4
club.gif
(2 players)
SB bets t4800, Hero ...

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Considering my tournament game sucks at the moment I think this is a call, and see if he fires again on the turn, looks like either a weak effort to get you off you overs or a stab with a weak made hand. The flat call from a nitty player likely says its a medium pair, could be a 1010-88 type hand.

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Off the top I'm thinking let this go as even a nit like you are describing isn't that likely to bet here with nothing. And if he is a bit of a fish there's no telling what he has, trips, straight (that would be sick) but even if he only has something like 33 that's not good odds for you.

The only reasonable things you could hope he has are air or a weaker ace that didn't pair.

The other part of it is if he's putting that much of his short stack into the pot on this hand, probably a good chance he's willing to go all the way with whatever it is he has so even if he is kinda weak it might not be possible to bully him off the hand.

OTOH if you read his beat as weakness and he has a tendency to make this sort of play but fold it to aggression you could raise him here and see what he does..if he shoves it you are gonna have to call cause of pot odds though so to me this is either a fold or put him all in and hope for a fold spot. If he has a single pair with something like say 8-9 you still have 6 outs. One argument for the raise would be if he had something really strong he's probably not likely to make that bet...I'd read that bet as I have something (probably a single pair) and am trying to make you go away cheaply. Calling to me says either I don't have much but don't think you do either, or it says I have a monster and am trying to let you hang yourself. With that board and your raise the later isn't as likely so I would expect a flat call to result in another, similar lead out bet (possibly a shove) which isn't a good situation unless you catch an A or K.

Last edited:
skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I'd probably let it go in this situation. You have so many chips and can find better situations to bully the table I think. The SB is pot committed and if he has any pair at all you're 3:1 dog.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really read dependant, but I'm either shoving or folding. I want the fold equity such as it is and his stack size means my liability is limited to another 10k.

I don't know what I'd do, but I'd want to put him to the test for his tourney life if I wasn't folding rather than try and represent a hand with call which invites him to push the turn and deny me the fold equity.

So my answer, I don't know, but I'm not calling :)

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree that it's push/fold here - we'll almost always be facing a shove on the turn. If he checks the turn, we still have little to no FE, and if we check behind on the turn we'll often be faced with a river bet.

In short, with my reads on him, this bet spells a med pair or maybe a set, both of which we're behind. Like skold said, we're about a 3:1 dog vs something like 99 and aren't getting odds on the shove. We're also very rarely pushing him off his hand with only 6800 left in his stack.

I guess this is a blocking bet or stop n go a little more than I'd originally thought, but I think a fold is best here, and I did fold.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Put the question to him for all of his chips. You said you've been much looser recently so he probably figures you were on a straight steal and he could be making a play with any Ace.

I do tend to overplay AK so this may be the absolute wrong move, but it is the move I would make.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be with skold; given your description I don't see him leading the flop with the second quarter of his stack unless 1) he has something and 2) he's not folding.

beechleaf

beechleaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im thinking A/8 is what he called with and you are way behind no sence of giving more chips up when no need too and If he has nothing hes going too feel like King chit now and will try this play again which really is too your advantage so when you do flop a monster you can let he try his move again and take him down